The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-21-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed62 View Post
I think you should buy a basketweave sable for your daughter to compare it against....apparently one sounds like a coke can and the other a pespsi can.
Haha too funny. In lieu of recent info I would be afraid to try one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
How do you think I feel? My X20s are, apparently, 'tin cans squared', and now I'm stuck with two of the darn things
ROFL yeah I guess you're in worse shape than me!
Old 07-21-2020, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
ROFL yeah I guess you're in worse shape than me!
It's all in good fun. Everyone's entitled to their opinions, and it's all so subjective, anyway.

I have a Squier Jaguar electric, which on any given day, I could either hug or use for firewood. Right now, it's in the firewood doghouse, so I'm looking to sell it before I change my mind

Then, of course, I'll miss it...
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 07-23-2020, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Hey all, reply from Emerald:

I asked the finishing luthiers to run tests on all the X30s, testing the wolf notes on both the D and C# and any note around that and they said they found none on any of the guitars.

My playing style is mainly strumming, very rarely doing some minor leads, so I think the X30 will do nicely for me. I have made them aware of the possible issue and, if I move forward, will ask them to pay special attention before shipping. We'll see!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 07-23-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
It's all in good fun. Everyone's entitled to their opinions, and it's all so subjective, anyway.
Absolutely, I just prefer to see honest opinions. In this case, it's pretty easy to see what we're getting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Hey all, reply from Emerald:

I asked the finishing luthiers to run tests on all the X30s, testing the wolf notes on both the D and C# and any note around that and they said they found none on any of the guitars.

My playing style is mainly strumming, very rarely doing some minor leads, so I think the X30 will do nicely for me. I have made them aware of the possible issue and, if I move forward, will ask them to pay special attention before shipping. We'll see!
Let us know if you pull the trigger and if it's a veneered top you go with. The X30 is a great strummer and will serve you well in that regard. I'll be crossing my fingers for you to be wolf free!
Old 07-29-2020, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Absolutely, I just prefer to see honest opinions. In this case, it's pretty easy to see what we're getting.

Let us know if you pull the trigger and if it's a veneered top you go with. The X30 is a great strummer and will serve you well in that regard. I'll be crossing my fingers for you to be wolf free!

I came very close to an X30. There is a beautiful dyed-blue Koto that I think would have looked pretty spectacular. At the end of the day, I had some concerns about the 17" body size on my 5' 5" frame, and many of the videos I heard seemed bass-heavy, which is not really the direction I wanted to go. I even started thinking that the newly designed X20 would be wonderful. But I'll leave that for a future purchase after some of you have it in hand and can report in. No law against owning a few different CF models, is there?

The other close contender was a RainSong, having had great luck with my H-OM. The WS in either the Vintage or Nashville was very appealing. But in the $3500 range, I don't feel it surpassed my final choice.

The McPherson Sable videos and reviews I read were consistently excellent. Ultimately I worked with the nice folks at Eddie's Guitars, speaking with Granville, who worked out a nice deal for me. I should have it on Friday. Granville couldn't have been more pleasant or made it any easier.

Thanks to everyone for all the input and various directions the thread went!

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 07-29-2020, 04:25 PM

Quote:
I came very close to an X30. There is a beautiful dyed-blue Koto that I think would have looked pretty spectacular. At the end of the day, I had some concerns about the 17" body size on my 5' 5" frame, and many of the videos I heard seemed bass-heavy, which is not really the direction I wanted to go. I even started thinking that the newly designed X20 would be wonderful. But I'll leave that for a future purchase after some of you have it in hand and can report in. No law against owning a few different CF models, is there?

The other close contender was a RainSong, having had great luck with my H-OM. The WS in either the Vintage or Nashville was very appealing. But in the $3500 range, I don't feel it surpassed my final choice.

The McPherson Sable videos and reviews I read were consistently excellent. Ultimately I worked with the nice folks at Eddie's Guitars, speaking with Granville, who worked out a nice deal for me. I should have it on Friday. Granville couldn't have been more pleasant or made it any easier.

Wait a sec, you're going to buy a guitar that sounds like a tin can? Sorry I couldn't resist, of course I'm kidding. All I can say is I hope you enjoy the Sable as much as me and will be looking forward to your NGD thread.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Wait a sec, you're going to buy a guitar that sounds like a tin can? Sorry I couldn't resist, of course I'm kidding. All I can say is I hope you enjoy the Sable as much as me and will be looking forward to your NGD thread.
Yeah baby, tin all the way!! Thanks for your help, info and patience!!

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 07-30-2020, 05:05 AM

Quote:

Congrats Mike...enjoy your sable !!!
2005 Gibson Es 335
2012 Gibson Les Paul standard
2017 Fender elite stratocaster
2001 62 AVRI Fender stratocaster
Old 07-30-2020, 05:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Congrats Mike...enjoy your sable !!!
Thanks Ed! Where upstate are you? Always looking for a chance to meet AGF folks and play a little bit. Hopefully the health situation will change, but an outdoor space would be nice.

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 07-30-2020, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Thanks Ed! Where upstate are you? Always looking for a chance to meet AGF folks and play a little bit. Hopefully the health situation will change, but an outdoor space would be nice.
Mike im not too far from Albany...Amsterdam is the city I live in but I do travel downstate on occasion to go to concerts...when we used to have LIVE shows....its gonna be awhile before I can do that again
2005 Gibson Es 335
2012 Gibson Les Paul standard
2017 Fender elite stratocaster
2001 62 AVRI Fender stratocaster
Old 07-30-2020, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Mike im not too far from Albany...Amsterdam is the city I live in but I do travel downstate on occasion to go to concerts...when we used to have LIVE shows....its gonna be awhile before I can do that again
I went to college in Albany, further back than I care to recall. Trying to figure out a way to play some guitar with a buddy in the Glens Falls area. If that comes through, I'll let you know. Thanks again for the good wishes!

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber