The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 12-05-2006, 03:14 AM

Default What Covers to do with a Loop Pedal

I'm looking to start using my Boss RC-20XL a little more so I've been looking for some cover versions to do using the loop pedal. Thought we should start a list of covers that you can play using a loop pedal.

I'll start:

1) Honey and Moon by Joseph Arthur
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Letfvx_VBvo

One of the finest singer songwriters out there in my opinion and certainly the most creative looper I've seen. Unfortunately with only one track on my RC-20, I can't create exactly the same ambiance but close.

2) World War 24 by Ryan Adams

Don't have a clip of that and I'm not sure he actually uses looping on this track but it works well.

So, your suggestions.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourOneFour View Post
So, your suggestions.
Hi
If i buy a looper tomorrow , i'll certainly start by playing "talkin' about the revolution" or "telling stories" by Tracy , or "learning to fly" by Tom Petty...
Old 12-05-2006, 06:48 PM

Well I don't know how you're intendeing to use it, and I haven't gotten a looper unit yet (but I'm re-e-e-eal close!) but I have always thought that I could use one on most ANY tune -- record the guitar verse then play it back while you're doing a lead over it, etc. Choruses too, I suppose... I'd think the choice of songs is almost endless. How do you like your RC20XL, anyway? I was looking at that unit very closely but if I was to but one tomorrow it would be the Jamman because, primarily, of it having an XLR mic input -- although I'm sure there are some other significant differences. Anyway I don't mean to hijack your thread but if you have any comments on that, I'm all ears....

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 12-05-2006, 07:00 PM

Simple stuff like Knockin on heavens door,works well
Old 12-08-2006, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esslewis View Post
Well I don't know how you're intendeing to use it, and I haven't gotten a looper unit yet (but I'm re-e-e-eal close!) but I have always thought that I could use one on most ANY tune -- record the guitar verse then play it back while you're doing a lead over it, etc. Choruses too, I suppose... I'd think the choice of songs is almost endless. How do you like your RC20XL, anyway? I was looking at that unit very closely but if I was to but one tomorrow it would be the Jamman because, primarily, of it having an XLR mic input -- although I'm sure there are some other significant differences. Anyway I don't mean to hijack your thread but if you have any comments on that, I'm all ears....
I've been playing around with it a bit more.

For practising, it's brilliant. Practising your scales and soloing with this thing is awesome! For performances, I think you do need dedicated arrangements for your songs to make it sound good. Just sitting down and strumming the verse, then looping it and maybe soloing over it doesn't really add anything. It sounds much better when you bring parts in and out. The opposite idea which would be adding a whole bunch of loops doesn't really help either because when you get to the chorus and have to cut all of the loops that are running, the music suddenly sounds naked and thin. As if the whole band suddenly walked out!

What I've found works best is having a riff that you play in two harmonies to start off the song and then add in and take out at certain strategic parts. You can add vocal harmonies on that but that limits you a bit. Then at the end of the song, you can start layering and layering and go completely off. As I said though, you do need to think about the arrangement beforehand especially if you're performing solo.

I like the RC-20. I looked at the Jamman too and played both and I found the RC-20 easier to work with. IIRC, the Jamman didn't have a reverse function which seemed gimmicky at the time but is something I'm actually using. It sounds great so I don't mind the lack of an XLR input.

I would say though that I will probably upgrade to the RC-50 at some point (perhaps when the price comes down). I think that the RC-20 would work well in a band environment to add something extra but if you really want to perform solo, the extra track that the RC-50 has would really help. That would allow you to have different loops for chorus and verse or allow you to keep the beat and bass track going throughout the song which would eliminate that sense of the band walking out when you get to the chorus. On the other hand, even the RC-50 is limited in comparison to using Ableton Live with a midi pedal. I may actually go that route in future.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen501 View Post
Simple stuff like Knockin on heavens door,works well
Thanks, I'll give that one a try.

Another I found that works well is U2's With or Without You.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:38 AM

I've been using it for "Born on the Bayou" and "Before you "Cuse Me"
Old 12-08-2006, 03:54 PM

Don't think is exactly a "cover", but the fiddle tune June Apple has the same chords on the verse and chorus. Easy for looping.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:25 PM

most anything by KT Tunstall... she uses a looper quite a bit, particularly on Black Horse & Cherry Tree.
Japanese Ephiphone Thunderbird > yorkville xm50
Old 12-08-2006, 07:15 PM

414 --
Thanks a ton for your feedback. I'm looking for all the practical information I can on using one of these babies... I imagine one could really get caught up in creative looping pretty easily. Thanks again...

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 12-08-2006, 08:32 PM

I picked up a Jamman a month or so ago, and I have also found it to be a FANTASTIC tool for practicing. I upgraded the memory card to 1 GIG, and can now store around 3 hours of audio. I have also used it at a couple solo gigs, and found it to be a Really nice addition to my sound. Rather than looping live, I simply recorded the rythm parts of some tunes, ( some harder tunes which I normally would not do solo ), and play along with the Jamman. It allows me to take full blown solos, add fills, and also makes singing easier. Some tunes I am doing with my Jamman include : "Peaceful easy feeling", "New kid in town", "Europa", "Moonlight in Vermont", John Denver tunes, some originals. It also allows me to successfully pull off some tunes which I normally would not be doing : "My Girl", "New York New York", etc...... Overall. I am loving the looper, and can see myself using it when I play electric as part of a band also. I Highly recommend a Looper, regardless of brand, to everyone.

MostlyElectric

Acoustic

Martin D18 (1970), Yamaha LS6
Old 12-10-2006, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyee View Post
most anything by KT Tunstall... she uses a looper quite a bit, particularly on Black Horse & Cherry Tree.
I heard her doing this live on UK radio before she was famous - was really effective how she put down the rhythm guitar, added in the harmonised backing vocals, and then went for it. Loved it.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyee View Post
Cool. Thanks. Found her on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIO2qpSsUTA
Old 12-13-2006, 02:51 AM

Howie Day does a lot of looping too. Phil Keaggy has some good stuff...but only if you're up for a challenge

Taylor 614ce (walnut/englemann) "Kayla"
Gretsch Pro Jet (with Bigsby!)
Old 12-15-2006, 07:54 AM

Another one. Imogen Heap. WOW!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSIbfzK2spg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell