The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-24-2018, 08:51 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
Man that's news to me, but then I don't get out much. (smile)

The definitive finger style steel string to me is a 12 fret with a wider neck and wider string spacing at the bridge.

Just sayin',
Dave
Thanks Dave. It might be that tone thing Doug is talking about because many of us can adapt to different specs.

Oh, please post a link to your cd's and books that you have had published when you can.

Here's Doug's btw
http://www.dougyoungguitar.com/

Just sayin'

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 06-24-2018 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
Man that's news to me, but then I don't get out much. (smile)

The definitive finger style steel string to me is a 12 fret with a wider neck and wider string spacing at the bridge.

Just sayin',
Dave
Well, everyone has their own idea of the perfect guitar for whatever playing style they do. However, the Martin OM has a fascinating history around it's launch, fairly quick demise, and then being rediscovered by fingerstyle/ragtime players like Eric Schoenberg, who basically single-handedly brought it back to life. Clones of it, like Franklins, became the guitars of choice for people like John Renbourn and Stefan Grossman, during the era when you couldn't find an actual Martin OM. The original pre-war Martin OM's are now priced astronomically, if you can find one, but new OMs are great guitars, too. They are played by quite a few well-known fingerstyle players these days.

Here's a few links about the history:

http://www.fingerstyle2.com/uploads/..._martin_om.pdf

https://www.om28.com/custom/history.jsp

http://onemanz.com/guitar/reviews/ac...rtin/om-story/

BTW, there are all kinds of Martin OM models, these days, I can't keep them all straight, but there are people here on AGF who are really into Martins and I'm sure can give you guidance on whether whatever specific model you're looking at is a "good one".

Last edited by Doug Young; 06-24-2018 at 10:29 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:14 AM

I own a 2016/17 OMC28E with the fishman system. I can’t comment on the electronics because I don’t use it. I’m a fairly new player and play more strumming/picking than finger style. I love it. It’s been a great guitar. Very easy to strum. It’s seems like Martin is moving there entire standard series to this nut and bridge spacing with the reimagined line. I find it very versital.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:17 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulaha View Post
I own a 2016/17 OMC28E with the fishman system. I can’t comment on the electronics because I don’t use it. I’m a fairly new player and play more strumming/picking than finger style. I love it. It’s been a great guitar. Very easy to strum. It’s seems like Martin is moving there entire standard series to this nut and bridge spacing with the reimagined line. I find it very versital.
I'm definitely going to see if I can get my hands on one to try out.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-25-2018, 11:59 AM

So you have to have your own CD’s and books to have an opinion on what makes a great finger style guitar? Wow, learn something new everyday.

The OM28 is a great sounding and very versatile guitar for all types of playing, so I imagine the cutaway version would be a nice finger style guitar too.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:10 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL30 View Post
So you have to have your own CD’s and books to have an opinion on what makes a great finger style guitar? Wow, learn something new everyday.
Not at all. It was the "just saying" phrase that struck me as disrespectful. You gotta respect others credentials if you want yours respected.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion