The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-20-2016, 08:12 PM

Default Help Me Please - Buying First Real Guitar

I'm buying my first good guitar not sure which is better for me or better period Taylor 214ce Deluxe or Taylor 214ce Koa Deluxe ik koa gets a warmer sound over time but I'm not sure which one i should get please help (I mostly mess around at home I play at church a bit too)
Old 09-20-2016, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentSkills View Post
I'm buying my first good guitar not sure which is better for me or better period Taylor 214ce Deluxe or Taylor 214ce Koa Deluxe ik koa gets a warmer sound over time but I'm not sure which one i should get please help (I mostly mess around at home I play at church a bit too)
Both have a laminate back, which means little or no overall effect on tone. Both have solid tops. So if you can play both and choose, pick the one that sounds the best to you. If they sound pretty much the same, pick the one that you like the looks of.

Personally, I'd pick the Koa one, because it will probably be easier to sell in a few years if you decide to upgrade to a all solid wood guitar.

TW

(Welcome to the monkeyhouse)
Old 09-20-2016, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Consider bumping up to a 300 series. You want to be REALLY in love and not have to think about another upgrade for a LONG time!

Two main things with the 300, all solid woods (no laminates used for sides and back) and more importantly, a 1-3/4" nut width.

You might decide the difference in tone is worth it, and the difference in neck width usually ends up being huge in your progress as a player and the satisfaction you get from playing your instrument. The feel of the neck is going to be a personal choice, so you should play both a 100-200 series and then play a 300 side by side.

If you're going for mellow you might consider mahogany, Koa is beautiful but may not be the tone you're looking for. Remember, you should really think about which selection is going to please you when you play with closed eyes.

Good looks are great, but good cookin' lasts forever!
Old 09-20-2016, 08:30 PM

As noted in the 2nd post, the two guitars should not sound any different since they are laminates. It doesn't matter it's a Koa laminate.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 09-20-2016, 08:32 PM

you can get a used 300 series in the 500-750 range.Thats right in your price range. Personally, I only buy used.
'99 HD28V
'99 Gibson WM-00
'75 Takamine "guild" Jumbo
'46 Harmony Silvertone H700
'12 GS-Mini
'?? Epiphone Dr-212
CSU Rams
Old 09-20-2016, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

I also only buy used. It saves you sales tax and you'll get all or most of your money back out of it if you ever decide to sell or upgrade.

However, as a newbie, I'd only recommend buying used if you can take someone with you who knows how to inspect a guitar.

As for your original post, Taylor makes a fantastic guitar. I'd agree on trying to get to the 300 series, but all their guitars are good.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 09-20-2016, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

Just out of curiosity, how do you know what his budget is?
2015 Taylor 914ce First Edition
2014 Taylor 812ce 12 fret First Edition
2014 Taylor 324ce FLTD Koa
2009 Taylor 954ce 12 string
1966 Gretsch Country Gentleman
Old 09-20-2016, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkitman View Post
Just out of curiosity, how do you know what his budget is?
200 series taylors are what? 800 bucks?
'99 HD28V
'99 Gibson WM-00
'75 Takamine "guild" Jumbo
'46 Harmony Silvertone H700
'12 GS-Mini
'?? Epiphone Dr-212
CSU Rams
Old 09-20-2016, 10:03 PM
Charter Member

So. First. Both. Models. Have. Same. Sitka. Top. Therefore. Tone. From. The. Top. Wood. Will. Be. Exactly. The. Same.

Ok, done with the point.

Recently, Bob Taylor was quoted as saying the different laminates, Koa and Rosewood in this case, or any two laminates, will have the same tonal profile due to the multi-ply wood properties, which also makes them more consistent. So, that means that these two guitars should have the same sound, and pretty much the same super consistent quality (great) from Taylor's Mexico factory, which uses the same methods as the northern US factory. That means the $120 extra cost of the Koa will buy you ... a different visual vibe, which is purely subjective. I think the rosewood look better, but each one will vary. I doubt there will be any warmer sound from laminate Koa aging. BTW, the Taylor laminates have great tone, probably one of the best laminate giutars out there. A lot of people use these on stage, they sound good plugged in, take a beating and keep on ticking. Ooooh, showed my age a second time. Someone has to look out for our language.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 09-20-2016, 10:24 PM

Some ideas:

(a) The 100 series Taylors are going to sound basically the same as any of the 200 series models since they're all laminate back/sides. I think the 100 series gives you more bang for buck than the 200 series.

(b) The 300 series Taylors have solid back/sides and are every bit as good as the more expensive Taylor models. If you're comfortable with the extra cost, I think a 300 series Taylor is the best bang for buck the company makes and a better overall value than their 100 series and 200 series guitars. They also have mahogany-top options in the 300 series, which would give you a little more of the warmer sound you mentioned.

(c) The 15 series Martin guitars are all-solid, mahogany top guitars that are really great guitars for the money. If you're really after a warmer sound, I think it would be worth trying these Martins in addition to the Taylors -- you might find it to be more of the sound you're after.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:20 AM
Charter Member

Welcome to AGF. If you're sold on the 214 I won't try to talk you out of it. However, as others have said, you can spend the same $$ or possibly less by considering other Taylor models such as the 312 and 324. You can also get more guitar by getting one without cutaway and electronics which is always my preference. You'll read a lot of good words about AGF sponsors for lots of reasons. We'd be remiss if we didn't suggest that you contact one or more of our sponsors for great advice, service, and pricing.
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 09-21-2016 at 10:23 AM.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:35 AM

214ce is great guitar!

Personally, I'd save a few bucks and go for the standard Taylor 214ce Deluxe.

Unless the Koa speaks to you! They do "look" nice!
Old 09-21-2016, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramesses View Post
you can get a used 300 series in the 500-750 range.Thats right in your price range. Personally, I only buy used.
I've found the price gap between new and used to be larger on most Taylor guitars than other big builder brands.... The exception being the most popular models like the 800 series and GS Mini

All solid wood, made in the USA construction starts with Taylor's 300 series but with Taylor's country of origin means nothing. The Mexico plant produces the same build quality as their USA factory. There's a long list of reasons for this, but namely it comes down to the USA and Mexico factories being so close together, innovative use of CNC machines and other assembly line machines and processes that are identical, not least important much of the same work force. Bob Taylor has said if Taylor wanted to do they could start building the 800 series in Mexico, all the skill and tools to do so are there, they would just need to get the materials there. They won't do this only because "our customers expect an American made product starting at a certain price point".

OP, I find nothing wrong with the 100 and 200 series, I think they are great values and certainly "real guitars". There was a time when I would have recommended you consider a Blueridge or Epiphone Masterbuilt which deliver all solid wood construction at about the same price range as a 100 series (I still recommend you try Blueridge, Epiphone Masterbuilt and maybe Martin's Road Series as they are favored by many of us at the price you are looking at)

I've changed my tune over the past year when it comes to solid back and sides. The truth about all solid back and sides is that, yes they do provide a bit longer sustain than laminate back and sides, but a good lutheir can design the top bracing and overall shape compensate.

The GS Mini, 100 and 200 series by Taylor are excellent examples of where a great design delivers. With these models you're getting quality materials (Ebony fretboard, Taylor's patented neck joint design, precision intonation, a factory setup that's very hard to beat and overall that "Taylor sound"). I think the they great guitars.

If you compare the 300 to the 200 & 100 series, perhaps the biggest impact to the tone is Taylor's patented relief route found in 300 series but not in the other two. The relief route, is a routing channel the goes around the lower bout of the guitar and plays a big part in that signature Taylor sound. It's further enhanced by Taylor's "performance" bracing which you only get on the 600,800,900 series. Some would say that's really where the Taylor sound is at.... I've seen used 800 series Taylor's go for $1600-$1900 (about the same cost as a used Gibson J-45 or used Martin D18). Instead of buying a new 300 series I would certainly opt for a used 800 series.

Looking forward to seeing what you end up with. Good luck.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 09-21-2016, 09:29 AM

My Budget is like 1,500$persobally preferTaylors over Martins but I'm open to suggestions
Old 09-21-2016, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
My Budget is like 1,500$persobally preferTaylors over Martins but I'm open to suggestions
Welcome to the forum!

I recommend you contact John at AGF sponsor Shoreline Music. Tell him about your budget, preference for Taylor, and playing style, and he will recommend a model in your price range.

I have no financial interest in this recommendation, I am just a happy Shoreline customer, and I am confident in John's knowledge of the Taylor line.

Best wishes, and let us know what you end up with!

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
koa, rosewoood, taylor