The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-12-2014, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Default NGD -- 2014 Martin D-18 Sunburst

Thanks to a good chiropractor I’m back in the dreadnaught business – and couldn’t be happier with my 2014 D-18 Standard Sunburst!

Like a few others on the forum I was having some issues with my shoulders, making it painful to play my jumbos and dreads. I had a lot of fun with the small-bodied guitars, but I got those issues cleared up and started hankering for a D-18 (I’m a latecomer to the Martin side of things, having been a Gibson guy for years). Some idle browsing on eBay and I found just what I wanted – a great guitar that wasn’t moving because of an less than great posting. I’m always on the lookout for a particular angle on the pictures – guitars with those shots never go for much dough.

Buying a guitar without playing it is admittedly a risk, but we’re talking about a Martin D-18 with the new specs. Possibly the consistently best reviewed instrument I’ve ever read about from a maker with no known quality control issues. At the price, I figured it couldn’t go very far wrong. And I was right!

After the agony of waiting for FedEx ground over a long holiday week, the guitar arrived today. With the usual trepidation I opened up the box, packing peanuts flying everywhere, and there it was, a nice shiny new case (a bit of an upgrade over the lower line Martin cases I’ve seen lately – sort a nice textured covering and a padded handle, olive interior).

And in the case, perfectly intact without a mark, was an absolutely gorgeous guitar. I think one of the things that originally sent me toward Gibsons was my weakness for a beautiful sunburst. I never saw a Martin sunburst growing up, and then all I saw were really poorly executed examples. But the folks in Nazareth have got it down now. A perfect fade from the rich, dark edges to lovely golden (but not overly fake yellow) center. I don’t like a lot of bling on my guitars, but I do love a sweet sunburst!

When I picked it up I was surprised by how light it was for such a big guitar. Probably the lightest built guitar I own. Fit and finish are impeccable. The mahogany back, sides, and neck are just what you want to see – nice tight grain and a lovely rich color.

Then I tuned it up to pitch (love the vintage tuners) and strummed a big G chord and there it was – that Martin voice (mahogany style) – loud and proud with just the right amount of complexity and jangle. A few bass runs and it’s really shining. I couldn’t put it down. It is a very articulate instrument. Individual notes are really distinct from one another when picking single note leads, but it all merges nicely when strummed. It sounds great playing a country shuffle, a bluesy ballad, or some straight-up rockabilly. (So all my bases are covered). The tone is just great, maybe not quite as amazing as my 000-18 GE (I think the adi top on that one makes a difference), but on the other hand, I think the D-18 is more versatile because of the articulation (which could be the longer scale) and the great bass. I think a lot of the magic in both guitars comes from the forward-shifted scalloped bracing they share.

I know that some here don't like the modified low-oval neck, but I find it very comfortable, fast, and fun. I have also come to love the big chunky V on my 000-18GE, but the neck on the D-18 is going to work out a lot better on long gigs. I play a lot of rhythm in a lot of keys, and need some barre chords and rock and roll style lead breaks. This neck, while not like an electric, feels good for that sort of thing. (Note: If you're an electric player who wants an easy move to a quality acoustic, see the LG-2 Americana).

At this point, my wife returned home. She took one look and said, “That’s a beautiful guitar”. And she’s seen a few of them around the house (her usual comment is, “Why do you need another one?”). Then she said, “That guitar sounds really good. It sounds like a guitar is supposed to sound”. I’m not exactly sure what that means, but I can’t disagree. It does sound just like a guitar is supposed to sound. And it sure is pretty...

My guitars include Gibsons, Martins, Fenders, and others
Old 07-12-2014, 09:18 AM

Congrats,

Lifetime Martin guy here and I think Martin has been on a hot streak the last decade or so with the GEs and Authentics, and now these updated standard models since 2012, lots of great guitars coming out of Nazareth !~!

Pretty guitar, Martin has upped their burst game ! Enjoy you new D-18 sunburst...

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 07-12-2014, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Nice. Is that the vintage burst? That's what I got on my custom.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 07-12-2014, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Great looking guitar!!

Congratulations.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 07-12-2014, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

that is one handsome git!

congratz!

have gun
madhat.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:14 AM

Enjoyed this post. Congrats on your shoulder and your awesome new guitar!
Old 07-12-2014, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Hi JP,

Wow, great set of photos! And what a lovely guitar! Great sunburst! Congratulations! And I can really believe that D-18 sounds like a guitar should sound. It is a very classic tone!

- Glenn
Old 07-12-2014, 11:47 AM

Congrats. Great choice. Good to hear of folks being able to return to dreads.

Was going through my small stable this morning, searching for what sounded right for a rainy Saturday morning, and only the trusty old D-18 would do.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:44 PM

That's pretty much my dream guitar, the model and finish! :-)

I like burst but some can be too red, this one is just right!
Old 07-12-2014, 01:01 PM

Nice hog top!

I also avoid playing dreads in part because of my back and in part because my physical dimensions are pretty compact so I cannot really play them sitting down.

But I'll bet this one would ring just like a dinner bell.

Now go spank that plank!
Old 07-12-2014, 01:05 PM

From one D18 burst owner to another, congrats! They are wonderful guitars to play and to see! Enjoy!
Old 07-12-2014, 01:05 PM

Congrats! What a beauty! We need more sunbursts!!

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 07-12-2014, 01:18 PM

That's gorgeous.

Bourgeois, Collings, Eastman, Gibson, Martin
Old 07-12-2014, 01:26 PM

really pretty guitar. nice burst. nice colors. congrats!
Old 07-12-2014, 01:27 PM

In my next life I wanna be you. Great collection of guitars, great player and a wife who understands the importance of a man's hobby.
Good luck with that little beauty.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
martin d-18, ngd, sunburst