The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-29-2009, 09:38 AM

Very tasteful choices. Congrats!
Old 09-29-2009, 11:23 AM

Those are some nice sticks of wood.....and beautifully executed bracing....really a piece of art......gotta love that straight grained BRA.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondave View Post
Walrus, dude, that's going to be about the sweetest guitar on the Planet! Wow, this is going to be real fun watching this come together... I own one of Bruce's guitars, and as much as I LOVE all my others, every time I pick up his I grin to myself that it's just the best.... It really has true 100 year old qualities with today's goodies as well....

Here is a build thread to the one I own...
http://www.sexauerluthier.com/FT-15-07.html

Welcome to the AGF!
Thanks DD. I have his Jatoba/German WRX which has been my go-to guitar because of it's even, powerful tone and versatility. I was very impressed with Bruce's personal Brazilian/Italian guitar, so you can say I'm looking forward to this one

I loved the link to your FT-15; that really looks like a great guitar!
Old 09-30-2009, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Poling View Post
that is a spectacular set of brazilian. Congrats.
Thanks Brock. I know you've seen (and have) your share of great tonewoods so that means a lot! I very much enjoyed your website...those are some impressive and beautiful guitars. I'll be following the progress on the "combo" Poling Sierra.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
Very tasteful choices. Congrats!
Thanks Howard! I really enjoyed reading your detailed approach/philosophy towards building on your website. I eat that stuff up because you learn so much about handmade guitars and it makes obvious the craftsmanship and passion of the builder. Very innovative and progressive instruments!
Old 09-30-2009, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue-wily-fox View Post
Those are some nice sticks of wood.....and beautifully executed bracing....really a piece of art......gotta love that straight grained BRA.
Thanks Blue. I agree about the bracing; I enjoyed listening to Bruce explain what sized braces he used and how he carved/scalloped them based on the goals for my build and just plain gut feeling/experience!

I think the Brazilian is a hit
Old 10-01-2009, 10:23 PM

Look Ma, no molds:

Instead of kerfed linings normally seen in steel string guitars, Bruce uses peone (tentellones) more common in classical/older guitars. Cutting, fitting, and gluing those individual blocks of wood few people will ever see takes much time and effort, but it's a mark of individuality and craftsmanship I admire:

Old 10-03-2009, 07:57 PM

Ready for the back:

Drum roll...the soundbox!

Old 10-03-2009, 10:48 PM

Looks like a beauty! Congrats! I like the shape of the cutaway. Very organic shape and unique.

Just wondering what purpose the ribbons serve on the sides? Also, is there a benefit to using the individual peone vs. kerfed linings?
Omega Legacy MJ02 (#116) in Birdseye Maple & Bearclaw Sitka
Tom Anderson Cobra in Flame Maple on Mahogany
Old 10-03-2009, 11:20 PM

Very nice! Thanks for sharing the pix!
Old 10-04-2009, 08:22 AM

Congrats on what will be a great guitar. I played one of Bruce's
guitars several years ago and was impressed. Do you know
how long is his wait list is now ?

TK
Old 10-04-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akivisuals View Post
Looks like a beauty! Congrats! I like the shape of the cutaway. Very organic shape and unique.

Just wondering what purpose the ribbons serve on the sides? Also, is there a benefit to using the individual peone vs. kerfed linings?
It's to prevent cracks from spreading along the side should they occur. The technique was used by Martin on their pre-war guitars. I've seen wood strips used in place of cloth by other makers.

As for the benefit of peone vs. kerfed linings, I defer to Bruce for the answer to that. However, notice in the picture before the back is glued on that peone is used for the top but kerfed linings is used for the back! Best of both worlds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 690MBCOMMANDO View Post
Very nice! Thanks for sharing the pix!
Thanks...I'm looking forward to the next update for your uber-Greenfield!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorphile View Post
Congrats on what will be a great guitar. I played one of Bruce's
guitars several years ago and was impressed. Do you know
how long is his wait list is now ?

TK
I believe it's 18 months, but it's best to ask Bruce.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:17 PM

Looks great and will only get better.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:02 PM

Hey Walrus,
Congratulations on the build. You and I must think quite a bit alike. I'm also having a build done with Tom Doerr and am having him use Braz and German with the florentine cutaway. What's even more interesting is that Bruce and Tom have 2 of the most unique takes on the florentine cutaway that I know of. There's are actually vaguely similar to each others but very different from everyone elses. Yours is looking quite stunning. I love the body style. Can't wait to hear it when it's done if you post clips. Those are very attractive back and sides and top that you picked out also. Enjoy the build!
Cole Clark Angel 2 BLBL Sunburst
Kronbauer TDK Mini Jumbo Macassar/Adi
Old 10-04-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom46 View Post
Looks great and will only get better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A027298 View Post
Hey Walrus,
Congratulations on the build. You and I must think quite a bit alike. I'm also having a build done with Tom Doerr and am having him use Braz and German with the florentine cutaway. What's even more interesting is that Bruce and Tom have 2 of the most unique takes on the florentine cutaway that I know of. There's are actually vaguely similar to each others but very different from everyone elses. Yours is looking quite stunning. I love the body style. Can't wait to hear it when it's done if you post clips. Those are very attractive back and sides and top that you picked out also. Enjoy the build!
Thanks guys!

A027298, great minds think alike One benefit I've received by joining this forum is being exposed to many, many quality builders I wouldn't have known before. Tom's guitars (especially the ones I just saw at Guitar Gallery) are stunning, and I'm sure they sound as good as they look. You can't go wrong with those woods for one thing lol. I hope you post pictures once your build is underway!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop