The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-17-2009, 08:54 AM

I have the BOSS RC-20 XL. I have had it since it became available (long before the other options). I still love this thing! I've looked at the other options, but they all seem much more than what I need or just poorly manufactured/designed. For simplicity and durability, the RC-20 is the way to go (IMO). If you need something more, I would go with Roland/BOSS products. Line 6 does have an interesting looper on the market, but as a general rule, never buy any first gen of Line 6 (they make nice products, but never get it right the first time and have bugs to work out). Might be worth looking at next generation.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:44 AM

Here's a vid of KT using her looper which does look to me like a Headrush:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYEU91d8ngc

Another unit maybe worth considering is the (unfortunately discontinued) Gibson Echoplex Digital Pro:

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Division...udio/Echoplex/
[IMG]http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/9/6/3/546963.jpgIMG]

I think they were discontinued a year or so ago. Wish I would've been able to pick one up before then, but I didn't have the funds for it. More info here as well:

http://www.loopers-delight.com/tools.../echoplex.html
Old 01-08-2016, 12:08 PM

there are so much new looper pedals available in market now TC Electronic ditto looper
Old 01-08-2016, 05:17 PM

Hi lads!

I sometimes think that I would like to own a looper. (There is only so many Youtube country/rockabilly/other guitar backing tracks you can play over). The problem is that I don't like/use pedals and was wondering if there is anything else out there?
Old 01-08-2016, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
pwshultz:

There are many others here who do looping - and are more comfortable than I am with that art form. However, I recently sold a Digitech Jamman and kept the Boss RC-50. What I didn't like about the Digitech Jamman (as differentiated from the original Jamman rackmount) is that it messed with the sound of my guitar. I did not like the result. The unit itself sounded fine and I think its feature set is very good, especially its use of Compact Flash cards rather than built-in flash memory. But the deal breaker for me was the adverse affect it had on my sound by just being in the signal chain. It made the sound "darker" and less dynamic. A friend of mine also had a Digitech Jamman and stopped using for the very same reason.

The Boss RC-50 simply does not have this problem. It is more complicated to use because it has more going on, but if you break each piece of it down into segments, you can learn to work with it. Each individual loop is not difficult to work with. Boss also makes the RC-20XL and the RC-2. Others here who own those can tell you whether they mess with the sound of your guitar, but I would be surprised if they did, since the RC-50 is really supposed to just be more of what those pedals offer. The RC-50 is expensive, so the lower cost alternatives are probably worth a look.

I know that other people here use the Digitech Jamman, so weigh their opinions too. I may just be too picky about this sort of thing.

Tony
One thing I have learned over the years is how differently individual components work in different rigs. I've had individual pedals that behaved differently just by changing amps, or by shifting pedal order.

I say that to clarify that:

1. I love the Jam Man, and one reason is how transparent it is with my rig, and...

2. That I have no doubt that it behaves as you describe in yours.

Both can certainly be true, so (OP) be sure to buy from a place with a decent return policy.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:12 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikyjackson87 View Post
there are so much new looper pedals available in market now TC Electronic ditto looper
thats because this thread is from 7 years ago
Old 01-08-2016, 06:20 PM

Yeh this is old!

I am still using the RC3 with the optional pedals. For all of its wonder, for jamming at home, I am loath to use it live. I have seen some folks use it for guitar and its gimmicky real fast, like vocal harmonizers are, for me. It finds its only use when I want to learn how to solo over a given chord progression and need it as a backing track.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:49 PM

I have a Boss RC30 (3 hours of recording time!!!!!) and TC Ditto original (wonderful simplicity) and Ditto X 2 (both with 5 mins of memory). The X 2 is the one I use most and not especially creatively, just to record a rhythm guitar part and solo over it. Often for Gypsy Jazz but also for stuff with my trio (cajon, bass and guitar with 3 x vocals) like the outros to Hotel Cali and Romeo & Juliet. The single button can be a pain but it is possible to learn to stop playback with a double tap if you time the taps to fall on the 1,2,3,4,1 (to stop on the 1).
Mountain D45 (mid '80s)
Brian Eastwood ES175/L5
Gibson Les Paul Custom (1975)
Brian Eastwood '61 Strat
Bitsa Strat with P90s (my main electric)
The Loar F5 Mandolin,
Samick A4 Mandolin
Epiphone Mandobird
Brian Eastwood '51 P Bass
NS Design Wav EUB
Giordano EUB

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars