The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-11-2024, 10:43 PM

Default A semi-hollow for an acoustic flatpicker

I have been interested in a semi-hollow electric to add to my gigging gear for quite some time. I have been playing only acoustic guitars for years but am ready for a change. My music is mostly California covers done solo. I don't plan to thrash or go metal so I am interested in something more along the acoustic tones but electric. Appreciate any ideas.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 01-11-2024, 10:54 PM
Charter Member

My first electric guitar was a Gibson ES-335 back in 1978, which is a semi-hollow body design with a block down the center inside of the guitar to minimize feedback issues. It's still one of my favorite guitars. It felt the most like the acoustic guitars I was used to at the time.

Today there are some very high quality ES-335 type guitars made by companies like Eastman, Sire, Heritage, etc. The Gibson ES-335 is a fairly expensive guitar, but the Sires are positive bargains and the Eastman version only a little more.

To me the ES-335 type guitar is a super flexible design great for playing all kinds of music on.

- Glenn
Old 01-12-2024, 06:51 AM

Got your guitar right here - and under $1K to boot:

https://www.sweetwater.com/c591--Gre...joiMTAwMCJ9fX0
Old 01-12-2024, 07:16 AM

When most players think semi-hollow, they think Gibson ES-335 — a great guitar with a Chicago/Memphis vibe. Fender's Thinline Telecasters are also highly popular, sound terrific, and are very California.

Guild, Paul Reed Smith, and Rickenbacher have made some fine ones. You can find all three made in both the US and Asia. (Guild's US electrics only come used. Don't know about Rick.) The imports are cheaper, the domestics are better.

And there are countless other Asian knock-offs: Eastman, Epiphone, Squier, more. And Reverend offers some interesting, well-made imports.

What can you afford?

And what's a California cover? Beach Boys? The Dead? Quicksilver? Mamas and Papas? Airplane? Joe Walsh? Byrds?

Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 01-12-2024 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-12-2024, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Got your guitar right here - and under $1K to boot:

https://www.sweetwater.com/c591--Gre...joiMTAwMCJ9fX0
Nice, but those are all hollowbodies, and Hotroad wants semi-hollow.

Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 01-12-2024 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-12-2024, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
. . . Today there are some very high quality ES-335 type guitars made by companies like Eastman, Sire, Heritage, etc. The Gibson ES-335 is a fairly expensive guitar, but the Sires are positive bargains and the Eastman version only a little more. . . .
Yup. Eastman and Sire are a couple of the affordable Asian knock-offs I mentioned.

Heritage's H-535 is almost $5k, same ballpark as a Gibson — not what I'd call inexpensive. But Hotroad, you haven't told us what you've budgeted yet.

Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 01-12-2024 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-12-2024, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
For a semi-hollow Gretsch, here is a good one. The Electromatic series G5622T in whatever is your favorite color.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...t-orange-stain

I recommend finding a used one from the made-in-Korea days a few years ago, which are generally acknowledged to be very well built and a whole lotta guitar for very little money. Typically, you can find a MIK used one in great shape for less than $700, and usually closer to $600 depending on condition and whether it includes a case or not.

I've got one of these MIK models. Mine has the Super HiLoTron pickups that have just the right amount of vintage Gretsch jangle, but don't mind getting dirty either. They are a fairly low output pickup, but that's why volume knobs were invented.

Last edited by GoPappy; 01-12-2024 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-12-2024, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPappy View Post
For a semi-hollow Gretsch, here is a good one. The Electromatic series G5622T in whatever is your favorite color.
Yes. Gretsch is well known for their superb semi-hollow guitars. Another maker I'd suggest checking out is Ibanez. They make the ArtCore series of guitars, and I am very impressed with the build quality, the playability and the pricing.

I own a Gibson Memphis ES-335 in Walnut. It's a gorgeous guitar. Sometimes I feel it's too large for me, so if you're like me, you might also check out the ES-339. It also doesn't cost quite as much as its "big brother."
Old 01-12-2024, 10:52 AM

I think you'll find there's nothing particularly "acousticy" about a semi hollow guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 01-12-2024, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
I think you'll find there's nothing particularly "acousticy" about a semi hollow guitar.
I agree. A semi-hollow still sounds very much like an electric guitar. Because of course, it is. But it does feel more like an acoustic guitar when a person is playing it, and it does have more sustain than a solid body guitar, similar to the way an acoustic guitar responds.

- Glenn
Old 01-13-2024, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Some good answers already, but I want to add:

Most likely, the biggest "leap" you'll have is adjusting to the light gauge of the strings - especially if you are a strummer. You can string an electric far heavier than the norm; after years of going around and around with that issue, I've finally settled on stringing my Gibson ES-345 with 11's. Still does not feel like my acoustic, but it's closer.

Realize that an electric guitar is a completely different critter than an acoustic.... sure, it has six strings and a fretboard and the chords/notes are in the same places, but that's about where the similarity ends.

A HUGE portion of what an electric guitar sounds like is what amplifier you are using for it. Without a great amp, your guitar will sound "less-than".

I bought my 345 in 1976 with the reasoning that it would be more "like" an acoustic guitar, but that just wasn't true. Even with a semi-hollowbody, it's just a really different instrument.

I'd suggest that you get out and visit a bunch of guitar shops and see what appeals to you. Once you have a good idea of the style/shape/size guitar you want, then you can set about finding the brands that capture what you want. Unlike acoustic guitars, electric guitars are far more interchangeable... there may be slight differences between a bunch of 335-types, but those difference are going to be very slight, ESPECIALLY to a newcomer.

It's a whole 'nother Rabbit Hole to go down! Have fun!!!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 01-13-2024, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
I have been interested in a semi-hollow electric to add to my gigging gear for quite some time. I have been playing only acoustic guitars for years but am ready for a change. My music is mostly California covers done solo. I don't plan to thrash or go metal so I am interested in something more along the acoustic tones but electric. Appreciate any ideas.
California covers, eh? How about one of the new Fender "acoustic-electric thinline dreadnaughts"?

A.K.A. Fender Highway series:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...guitar-natural
Old 01-13-2024, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
Al lot of folks don't really equate the difference between a semi-hollow body vs. a hollow body instrument. My gut tells me the OP is thinking the latter.
Old 01-13-2024, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
Al lot of folks don't really equate the difference between a semi-hollow body vs. a hollow body instrument. My gut tells me the OP is thinking the latter.
Given his musical tastes I suspected much the same thing, that he was thinking something with a thinner body but with some natural acoustic response and handling properties similar to a full=size guitar (what would have been called a thinline back in the '50s - hollowbody generally being equated with a full-depth jazzbox like the ES-175, L-5CES, et al.), hence my suggestion of Gretsch 5400-Series Electromatic hollowbodies - '59-style trestle bracing to suppress feedback (which I doubt will be an issue for him), Filter'Trons for clarity/definition/articulation...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 01-13-2024 at 07:15 PM.
Old 01-13-2024, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPappy View Post

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...t-orange-stain . . . .
Well, looky there!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars