The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-18-2021, 12:46 PM

Default Partial barre and notes from 2nd to 5th fret?

In learning the Entertainer by Scott Joplin arranged by Gehard Gschossman I'm having little trouble with a chord that goes form the 2nd to the 5th fret. I can reach, but getting the clarity is the problem. It seems like it takes some serious strength in the fingers. Anyone have any tips other than just keeping at it? Is it just a matter of doing the chord over and over again until it becomes smoother? I do have the thumb behind the neck to give some leverage.

It looks like this:

Last edited by Cecil6243; 07-18-2021 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-18-2021, 12:53 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil6243 View Post
In learning the Entertainer by Scott Joplin arranged by Gehard Gschossman I'm having little trouble with a chord that goes form the 2nd to the 5th fret. I can reach, but getting the clarity is the problem. It seems like it takes serious strength I the fingers. Anyone have any tips other than just keeping at it? Is it just a matter of doing the chord over and over again until it becomes smoother?

It looks like this:

I wouldn't grab it all at once.

I'd grab the xx5xx5, then the xx522x with a lean towards the bass side and then rock over towards the treble side a bit, release the xxx22x portion and play the 5th fret 1st string while holding the 5th fret 4th string. Look at the note durations. I have short fingers though. Someone with "piano hands" would probably laugh at what I do and just grab the whole thing. Also, consider playing the tune capo'd up a fret or two.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-18-2021, 12:57 PM

Quote:
It seems like it takes some serious strength in the fingers. Anyone have any tips other than just keeping at it?
This shouldn't involve a lot of strength. If it does, I'd look at the setup of your guitar.

Try putting a capo on the first fret and playing it one fret higher. If it requires less strength, the strings are likely too high at the nut.

I assume you are interpreting it correctly: a half barre - strings 1, 2 and 3 - while fretting the other two notes at the fifth fret.
Old 07-18-2021, 01:01 PM

Thanks Barry. I will give that a try! Didn't think about the capo!

Last edited by Cecil6243; 07-18-2021 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-18-2021, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
This shouldn't involve a lot of strength. If it does, I'd look at the setup of your guitar.

Try putting a capo on the first fret and playing it one fret higher. If it requires less strength, the strings are likely too high at the nut.

I assume you are interpreting it correctly: a half barre - strings 1, 2 and 3 - while fretting the other two notes at the fifth fret.
Same issues with the capo at fret one. I just had a setup done on the guitar so I don't think that's it anyway. It's already getting a little easier by curling my index fretting finger a little and adjusting the other fingers. I was also barring frets 1 through 4 instead of just 1 thru 3. 1 through 3 works a little better!

Thanks!
Old 07-18-2021, 01:57 PM

Quote:
I was also barring frets 1 through 4 instead of just 1 thru 3. 1 through 3 works a little better!
In general, don't barre more strings than you need to. "Need to" involves considering what comes before and after in the music and its fingerings.

Were the fun really starts to happen is when you barre only strings 2 and 3 while leaving string 1 un-fretted/open.
Old 07-18-2021, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

View video at about the 24 second mark

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-18-2021, 03:47 PM

I'm in a similar boat with "Never Going Back Again" by Fleetwood Mac. Despite having decent sized hands I struggle with xx5252, even capoed at the 4th fret. I watch players on Youtube play it like it's nothing. An alternative tuning and capo location is likely in order.

I enjoyed that video BTW, great song, I watched it several times. I hope you find your way past this obstacle.

Steve W
Old 07-18-2021, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
View video at about the 24 second mark

Thanks I am viewing along with the score/tabs. Looks like Gerhard is having no issues barring and reaching or am I missing something? It's the 18 second mark that I'm referring to and it repeats itself.

Last edited by Cecil6243; 07-18-2021 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-18-2021, 08:39 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Thanks I am viewing along with the score/tabs. Looks like Gerhard is having no issues barring and reaching or am I missing something? It's the 18 second mark that I'm referring to and it repeats itself.
Gerhard has those piano hands I was talking about. He's not even stretching to reach it

Notice where his thumb is when he hits that barre. It appears that the thumb is in the classical position. He's not hugging the neck.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-19-2021, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Notice that his ring finger is not right up behind the fret, where his pinky is. Presumably he's just using a lot more pressure to get the string to sound.

Personally, I can get this shape without too much trouble, but I find it easier if I slant my fingers back, rolling the index more on its side - bringing the elbow in so the forearm is more like 45 degrees to the neck than the (normally ideal) 90.

BTW, I don't know how long you've been playing, but this is a pretty advanced piece for any beginning fingerpicker!

Also, I might work out an alternative fingering for that phrase - and maybe in a different key too.

Last edited by JonPR; 07-19-2021 at 05:47 AM.
Old 07-19-2021, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
Notice that his ring finger is not right up behind the fret, where his pinky is. Presumably he's just using a lot more pressure to get the string to sound.

Personally, I can get this shape without too much trouble, but I find it easier if I slant my fingers back, rolling the index more on its side - bringing the elbow in so the forearm is more like 45 degrees to the neck than the (normally ideal) 90.

BTW, I don't know how long you've been playing, but this is a pretty advanced piece for any beginning fingerpicker!

Also, I might work out an alternative fingering for that phrase - and maybe in a different key too.
No beginning but not super advanced either. Thanks!

It's getting easier!
Old 07-24-2021, 12:31 PM

About thumb position -- I find when I play this, my thumb instinctively goes not just "behind the neck" but all the way to the treble side of the neck. It basically wants to sit where it's bracing the half-barre, which leaves the ring finger & pinky free to stretch where they need to.
Martin D12X1AE
LaPatrie CW Concert

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write