The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-29-2021, 07:17 AM

Default mutations

i've watched/read stuff about muting (palm and fretting hand) and i'm just not "getting" it. i mean, i get the concept, but i'm not able to consistently mute and i'm not sure why.

any tips/techniques to make this stuff more understandable and repeatable for the rookie?

tia
Old 07-29-2021, 07:22 AM

do you keep the strumming hand closer to the bridge?

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 07-29-2021, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
do you keep the strumming hand closer to the bridge?
yes. but it seems my attack angle (or something) is preventing me from consistently palm muting ALL the strings. may be how i'm holding the guitar (i play sitting most of the time); i just can't seem to repeat the "right" way to do it, which should allow me to "practice" doing it.

i know my explanation is less than ideal...just a bit frustrated by the lack of any meaningful progress.

[end of whining]
Old 07-29-2021, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Watch a few videos on youtube regarding arm and wrist positions players use. If you use a thumbpick (I don't) it's easier to get into the right wrist position.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-30-2021, 05:46 AM

yes. as i mentioned, i have "watched" (see: youtube and justin) lots of stuff and it's not providing the guidance/insight i seem to be lacking; it's just not clicking. ergo, i solicited some thoughts on the forum.
Old 07-30-2021, 07:46 AM

I "mute" ....... unintentionally
Old 07-30-2021, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadmcd View Post
yes. but it seems my attack angle (or something) is preventing me from consistently palm muting ALL the strings. may be how i'm holding the guitar (i play sitting most of the time); i just can't seem to repeat the "right" way to do it, which should allow me to "practice" doing it.

i know my explanation is less than ideal...just a bit frustrated by the lack of any meaningful progress.

[end of whining]
You shouldn't have to palm mute all the strings. Just the 3 base strings. Just concentrate on that.
Breedlove Oregon Concertina Sitka/Myrtlewood
Old 07-30-2021, 01:07 PM

Quote:
i've watched/read stuff about muting (palm and fretting hand) and i'm just not "getting" it. i mean, i get the concept, but i'm not able to consistently mute and i'm not sure why.

any tips/techniques to make this stuff more understandable and repeatable for the rookie?

tia
If you are watching these videos and it's not making sense, you might need to hire a teacher, preferably in-person.

We all have different styles of learning. Yours may not be served well by video.

I wasn't able to get muting mastered until I played electric guitar. So much less hand strength is required, so you can more easily focus on muting techniques.

The only general muting suggestion I have is to practice scales or chord patterns with muting. Try to let the note come out with the barest amount of sustain. Aim for consistency with every note (do not let some notes ring out).

Once you get a 'feel' for muting, your muscle memory will kick in.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 07-30-2021, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

Primarily all my muting is with the lower strings...

Most times, particularly when strumming, I'll be using the palm "edge" on the side of the thumb, not really the base of the palm at all. Other times I'll use the other edge, by the pinky. I really only use the actual base of the palm when I'm doing single note lines, and then I'll be nearer the bridge of the guitar... but when I'm muting during a strumming passage, I'll do it wherever I'm strumming, as opposed to the bridge, solely.

Another technique I employ is that of a "partial" mute - where I'm "bouncing" the thumb/palm off the string while I'm plucking it with a pick... Neil Young uses this a bunch... it's kind of a "non mute" mute!

Accuracy of the picking hand on the strings to be muted is important, as is the timing of the mute itself.

As with most aspects of playing guitar, repetition is key... just keep working at it and you'll get there!

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 08-01-2021, 06:09 PM

Quote:

[end of whining]
I rest my palm right on the bridge itself, a tad behind the saddle, and then kind of roll it over the actual saddle onto the string until the a desired sound is achieved. Unneeded in a high gain situation, but with lower gain and/or acoustic guitar this really lets you fine tune the degree of muting your hand is doing.

As for hitting all the strings, I dont think I ever palm mute a full chord... on an acoustic if its got strong bass I would chug along on 3-4 bass strings, if its got stronger mids I might concentrate more on my middle strings, kind of rare to want to mute the high strings IMO. Only instance I can really think of is when playing U2/Edge type parts with tons of delay, at that point you've got lots of time to get it right though.
Old 08-02-2021, 03:54 AM

thanks, all.

i'll give these things a try.
Old 08-09-2021, 05:44 AM

A lot of muting is also done with left hand as well. Strike the note and then lighten the pressure from the finger but leave it on the string to dampen out the string. It can be done with all manner of chords.

It may seem a little complicated at first, but if you just mess around a bit with it in a relaxed way you'll figure it out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write