The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 06-23-2021, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Default "Kathy's Song" by Paul Simon (cover)

"Kathy's Song" was first released on the 2nd Simon & Garfunkel album "Sounds of Silence" in 1966. The song also appeared on "The Paul Simon Songbook" solo album recorded earlier.

I have recorded my cover of this song with the guitar, a Santa Cruz OM/PW, tuned down one half tone as Paul Simon did.

Thanks for listening.

- Glenn
Old 06-23-2021, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Beautiful song well done and well played by you Glenn.

Sometimes I feel that you've been reading my mail (as Kris would say) or maybe just coincidence, but a lot of the songs you play are on my long list of hope to learns.

Appreciate your posting and look forward to hearing and enjoying more from your (our) list.

Take care,

john
Old 06-23-2021, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnidoh View Post
Beautiful song well done and well played by you Glenn.

Sometimes I feel that you've been reading my mail (as Kris would say) or maybe just coincidence, but a lot of the songs you play are on my long list of hope to learns.

Appreciate your posting and look forward to hearing and enjoying more from your (our) list.

Take care,

john
Hi John,

It's great to hear from you! I'm so glad you appreciate this cover and that the song is one you have also thought about. And I'm really pleased to read that you like this cover.

For me this is one of Paul Simon's prettiest songs. I've been doing this song for years sort of my own way, but this last week I decided to really pay attention to how Paul Simon played it. As a result I had to change the song considerably.

It does show that an old dog can learn new tricks and that techniques we have been using for well over 50 years don't have to dictate how we play things.

I hope you are enjoying your summer in the Poconos. Take care John!

- Glenn
Old 06-23-2021, 01:11 PM

Beautifully played and sung, Glenn! I've always liked this song and you did such a fine job in this one - excellent!

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 06-23-2021, 03:08 PM

Oh Glenn. You really got me. I have tears in my eyes.

One of the most beautiful versions ever.
Your voice is a gift and your soulful singing moves me my dear friend.

I love your music Glenn. This wonderful cover is another reason.

All the best for you and lot of friendly hugs from Hamburg,

Jimmy
Old 06-23-2021, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
Beautifully played and sung, Glenn! I've always liked this song and you did such a fine job in this one - excellent!
Thanks so much David!

I am so very pleased that you feel this came out well! It is such a sweet song.

Thanks also for taking time to listen and comment. It's so very much appreciated!

Be well David!

- Glenn
Old 06-23-2021, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarquango View Post
Oh Glenn. You really got me. I have tears in my eyes.

One of the most beautiful versions ever.
Your voice is a gift and your soulful singing moves me my dear friend.

I love your music Glenn. This wonderful cover is another reason.

All the best for you and lot of friendly hugs from Hamburg,

Jimmy
Thank you Jimmy!

You are too kind! But I am so very pleased that you, a fellow musician, appreciate this cover so much! It means a great deal to read your encouraging and kind thoughts and words.

And how wonderful to hear from you from Hamburg. I am coming to you from a quiet river valley out in the country of coastal Washington State, USA.

Take care Jimmy,
Glenn
Old 06-23-2021, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

This post definitely grabbed my eye Glenn.
As usual, you make terrific work of such a beautiful tune. When I first learned how to play, this is one of the songs I spent hours and hours on, head in the "stereo" and scratching the heck out of the LP by moving the needle back and forth so many times. Digital tech would have been so useful back then for that. But it was worth all the effort!
So glad you decided to do this one. Thanks for sharing this latest recording. Great stuff.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 06-23-2021, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
This post definitely grabbed my eye Glenn.
As usual, you make terrific work of such a beautiful tune. When I first learned how to play, this is one of the songs I spent hours and hours on, head in the "stereo" and scratching the heck out of the LP by moving the needle back and forth so many times. Digital tech would have been so useful back then for that. But it was worth all the effort!
So glad you decided to do this one. Thanks for sharing this latest recording. Great stuff.
Thank you Andre'!

I'm glad you saw this and checked it out! You were the one who gave me the idea to do this song just recently, so THANK YOU!

I'm glad you felt this came out well! Thank you for taking time to listen; your comments are greatly appreciated!

- Glenn
Old 06-24-2021, 05:30 AM

This is one of my favourite Simon and Garfunkel tunes. Wonderful rendition of a beautiful song.
Old 06-24-2021, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre.g View Post
This is one of my favourite Simon and Garfunkel tunes. Wonderful rendition of a beautiful song.
Thank you Andre!

I'm so glad you thought this came out okay! This is one of my favorites, too! Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment!

I hope things are going well for you!

- Glenn
Old 06-24-2021, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Really nice Glenn! I love the tone of the Santa Cruz tuned down. Smooth playing, very good!

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 06-24-2021, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Nicely done, Glen. I love this song.

You keep producing consistently great videos that sound very polished. Great work!
Old 06-24-2021, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Really nice Glenn! I love the tone of the Santa Cruz tuned down. Smooth playing, very good!
Hi Barry!

Thank you for your kind comments! I'm glad you felt this came out well!

Regarding the Santa Cruz OM/PW tuned down, thank you for your thoughts. I like it, too. When I normally play this song, I use standard tuning and just sing it a half tone higher, but when I recorded myself doing that recently, I thought my voice sounded a little thin. Then I realized that Paul Simon had actually sung this a half step lower, so I started experimenting with that.

I had been playing this on other guitars, such as my Sheppard, but when I down-tuned the Sheppard the intonation was terrible and the guitar was just way too bassy. In fact, any of the guitars that I have with good bass, the bigger body guitars, all sounded horrible to me. So, I thought, I should try an OM that has less bass to begin with. The Santa Cruz had old strings and it sounded awful, too, until I changed strings.

I don't normally play a guitar at other than standard pitch and I had a heck of a time trying the get the guitar in tune with itself. Maybe it's just that I'm not used to the sound, but the intonation on the Santa Cruz was also off a little. I really had to tweak and adjust until I could get it to sound right.

I do agree, though -- once I got the guitar in tune with itself, the Santa Cruz OM/PW sounded good.

I hope all is well for you Barry!

- Glenn
Old 06-24-2021, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGFletch View Post
Nicely done, Glen. I love this song.

You keep producing consistently great videos that sound very polished. Great work!
Thank you SG!

I very much appreciate the kind words of encouragement! I'm so glad you feel this came out well! I love this song, too.

Regarding polished video productions, I do work at it and put in a fair amount of time both in preparation and in production. I am retired now so I do have more time, which is very helpful. Also, I have been making YouTube videos since the summer of 2016, so five years now, and I have learned a great deal over that time.

Thanks so much, SG, for taking the time to listen and then to provide feedback! It's greatly appreciated!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell