The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-15-2021, 08:49 AM

If your budget can possibly allow it, I can’t recommend highly enough the option of going to a good commercial acoustic treatment provider and letting them help you. I chose GIK Acoustics. I emailed them and said, I want to invest in making my one-room studio sound better, here’s my budget, here’s a diagram of the room, and here’s what I’ve already done (I had some homemade panels already up in places). They sent me a proposal with a couple of suggestions, one at my stated budget, one showing what I could do if I went a little over it. I then had two lengthy phone conversations with a GIK rep to clarify the options. It went way beyond products, to talking about things like what would be the ideal orientation of different functional areas of the room to get the best results. I ended up spending about $1000 on a combination of bass trapping and diffusion, which I combined with the broadband panels I already had. The room sounds hugely better. It’s not perfect — no room with a 7-foot ceiling ever will be — but the difference was well worth the money.
Martin D12X1AE
LaPatrie CW Concert
Old 07-26-2021, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

I did years of research on this before actually building my studio.

You can do allot with a little. Or you can spend you life savings.

Reflections come from two surfaces being perpendicular to each other.

Treating without construction. Look at opposing walls as positive and negative.

In other words if you put 4 panels on the north wall, the south wall will have it's panels where the other ones aren't.

If building, Build so no two walls are adjacent.

My space was approx 16x18. I took one long wall and broke it. Making sort of a pentagon.

One of the shorter walls I set at an angle, so the wall was slightly leaning back on the top.

None of the corners were square.

Before treatment, you could clap in the room and not hear that annoying BOIIIING of sound bouncing back and forth.

Also had an ISO bothe with sliding glass triple pane patio door.

I put a bit of treatment on east and west wall. with some bass traps in the top.

Build a diffuser and hung over the desk. With herringbone 3x1/4" oak.

Armstrong ceiling tiles on about half the room.

Peel and stick tiles.

This was a 20x20 garage I insulated with rockwool and 5/8 sheetrock. Then built inner walls, leaving about a 3" gap between. With sound board on one side, and 5/8 sheetrock on the other.

Ran multi channel cable through the walls for inputs and headphone outs. In live room as well as iso booth. For a clean look.

I miss that room. Very peaceful, with a great sound.

Last edited by EZYPIKINS; 07-26-2021 at 01:55 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD