The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-12-2019, 11:00 AM

I have Celiac disease so yes it is very important that I avoid gluten. If I get glutenated I am seriously ill for a week, like can't get out of bed sick.

Also you don't have to drink potato vodka to avoid gluten, the process of distilling removes the alcohol from the gluten, water, and other alcohols etc. So as long as something containing gluten isn't reintroduced, as in a liquor, distilled spirits are "safe". And I should know what I'm talking about I am a distiller for a small distillery here in town.
A fist full of picks
Two capos
And an amp I'm fairly impressed with.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcross View Post
Also you don't have to drink potato vodka to avoid gluten, the process of distilling removes the alcohol from the gluten, water, and other alcohols etc. So as long as something containing gluten isn't reintroduced, as in a liquor, distilled spirits are "safe". And I should know what I'm talking about I am a distiller for a small distillery here in town.
Thanks for clearing that up - there seems to be a lot of uncertainty in the GF world about hard liquor in general. I do know that it's never been a concern to my celiac mother, who thoroughly enjoys a G&T or a drop of scotch now and then.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 01-12-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
All cause mortality increases on a paleo diet versus higher carb diets. The study references several diets that are meant to induce ketosis.

https://www.mdlinx.com/gastroenterology/article/2973

There are several recent similar findings. Yep, people lose weight on them in the short term, and realize the benefits of weight loss, such as initial lowering of many health markers. Over time it’s not the answer.

Not what people want to hear. Not what I want to hear, as I do love meat and seafood. But if you eat this way you significantly increase your chances of dying sooner. People can make whatever choices they want, but the facts are clear. Thinking its a healthy diet is simply incorrect.

More: https://link.medium.com/ptz6IKN7pT

Not really surprising. Eat real food. Mostly plants. Eschew fad diets. Pay attention to results, not theories.

That and your brain runs on carbs.

I do pay attention to results. You think that my belief of the ketogenic diet is because I’m falling for a fad diet theory? I’ve tried many diets for most of my life, from low fat high vegetables and grains and very restricted meat intake, to low carb and ketogenic diets. All those diets made me lose weight when combined with exercise, but were impossible to keep up. Every single one of them. It wasn’t until mid 2015 or so when I gave the ketogenic diet a shot. By that time I was very fit, training combat sports, and eating a fairly balanced low fat diet. But my weight loss had reached a plateau, and I had a very stubborn pouch of belly fat that would not go down. I also had limited energy and was reliant on pre and post workout supplements to keep up.

So I started the keto diet after my wife bought this dietary supplement kit that was designed to kick-start ketosis, by introducing exogenous ketones to the body. It all sounded like the latest rapid weight loss cleanse fad, but the money was spent and I figured why not. It was almost like a drug. By the third day or so I experienced very high levels of energy, I didn’t need those pre and post workout supplements anymore, and that was from the exogenous ketones. Once my body went into full on ketosis about two weeks later, I was a machine. I started to lift weights at 8am for about an hour, and then hit the mats from 9:30 until noon. I then had to get ready to go to work by 2:30pm. It was not a problem, because I wasn’t only full of energy, my mind was more focused too. Never experienced a crash, I was never starving, and didn’t have any food cravings. Oh yeah and I lost 25 pounds in less than two months (on top of 30 pounds I’ve already lost with previous diets in the course of about a year). I was back to what I used to weight when I was 21 years old, but much healthier and stronger. I then started to introduce carbs to my diet, effectively switching from keto to low carb, and was able to maintain that for about a year and a half.

Like I said earlier, no diet can be kept up for the long run, but of all the diets I’ve tried, it was the keto and low carb diets I not only had the very best results, but I was able to keep them up for much longer.

As for the brain running on carbs, that’s a well debunked myth. When you’re on ketosis, ketones can fuel up to 70% of the brain, the rest is fueled by glucose that’s processed by the liver by converting fatty amino acids. Our ancestors survived with very low carb diets, so our bodies evolved to be fat-processing machines. Grains are a relatively new addition to the human diet.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:56 AM

If gluten sensitivity makes you sick, then it is a pretty real thing.

My wife is gluten sensitive and has difficulty. There may be those that jump on the trend of the week, but I believe it is a genuine problem.

The question is why has it become such an issue?
The answer, IMO, is that in the US we have allowed companies to mess with the food supply. Their motivations are always money.

I the EU, the policies are better. When in doubt, a substance is not allowed into the food supply.

You never heard of gluten issues in the USA back in the 40s and 50s. Why? Because farming was a straight ahead simpler endeavor. Now we have corporate farming and anything that makes more money is fair game.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:23 AM

Amazing how a thread about wheat can go so long. Clearly we are interested in health topics here. I hope we can see more of these in future. I, for one, enjoy learning tips about how to age gracefully.

There are a ton of myths out there. Take CBD, for example, which is from pot. Tons of people claim its amazing. My friends who tried it for knee pain, sleep and other conditions found it did nothing. It was just smoking very weak, bad pot. For $$$.

The other issues we could explore are...supplements, yay or nay? Or bottled water. They did a study to see where the idea of drink 8 glasses a day came from. Turns out it was just some random fitness trainer on social media. There was no evidence. So we are walking around urinating all day for nothing. 1-2 glasses a day is enough. Food is loaded with water.

D.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy the dog View Post
For those genuinely affected by this it is a very serious pain but unfortunately this is set aside by those who find it fashionable to be gluten intolerant.

Some people are gluten for punishment.
Apologies for coming to this late and not reading the whole thing.

I was diagnosed with celiac in 1992. It's real. And all I have to say about the gluten fashionistas is "God bless 'em." Between the general awareness and the number of food options available now, my life is a lot better and I'm not the freak I was back then.

In around 1997 I was in Nashville producing some music for a Pepsi commercial and the guy I was at dinner with called his friend Steve Cropper over to the table. One of my heroes! The two of them started getting into how great the cornbread was at this place, and said I had to try it. I declined, saying that cornbread usually has some wheat flour in it while trying not to go into too much detail about the resulting symptoms because it's not the kind of thing you want to talk about while people are eating. Next thing you know, my hero Steve Cropper is getting all insulted and wanting to drag me outside and kick my ***.

In 2019, I don't think that would happen.

I coulda taken him, btw. :-)

Couch Standards
Old 02-04-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
I have Celiac disease so yes it is very important that I avoid gluten. If I get glutenated I am seriously ill for a week, like can't get out of bed sick.

My friend that shares your affliction was greatly relieved to learn of Buckwheat Beer . Buckwheat is a legume and devoid of gluten .
Old 02-04-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
My friend that shares your affliction was greatly relieved to learn of Buckwheat Beer . Buckwheat is a legume and devoid of gluten .
I'm not going to say this will work for everyone, but... Guinness. Many other dark beers and stouts are that color because of the molasses in them. Guinness, though, is black because they take the "malt" (barley sprouts) and cook it until it's basically incinerated. No more gluten. I've never had a gluten-related problem with it. We won't get into the alcohol-related problems.

Couch Standards
Old 02-06-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:

Thank you for that. My wife I think feels limited to thinking that potato vodka is the only safe spirit to imbibe. She did dabble in the hard ciders too, but those things suck. I am a bourbon guy thru and thru. So is bourbon safe?
Old 02-06-2019, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I'm not going to say this will work for everyone, but... Guinness. Many other dark beers and stouts are that color because of the molasses in them. Guinness, though, is black because they take the "malt" (barley sprouts) and cook it until it's basically incinerated. No more gluten. I've never had a gluten-related problem with it. We won't get into the alcohol-related problems.
That's very interesting. I, for one, would be quite happy to be limited to a Guinness-only beer life - I love the stuff. I wonder if you'd react the same way to other Irish stouts - although I'd understand a reluctance to experiment.

As an aside, my paternal grandfather was actually prescribed Guinness in hospital in England back in the 70s after having prostate surgery. He retained a taste for it for the rest of his life.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-08-2019, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
I do pay attention to results. You think that my belief of the ketogenic diet is because I’m falling for a fad diet theory? I’ve tried many diets for most of my life, from low fat high vegetables and grains and very restricted meat intake, to low carb and ketogenic diets. All those diets made me lose weight when combined with exercise, but were impossible to keep up. Every single one of them. It wasn’t until mid 2015 or so when I gave the ketogenic diet a shot. By that time I was very fit, training combat sports, and eating a fairly balanced low fat diet. But my weight loss had reached a plateau, and I had a very stubborn pouch of belly fat that would not go down. I also had limited energy and was reliant on pre and post workout supplements to keep up.

So I started the keto diet after my wife bought this dietary supplement kit that was designed to kick-start ketosis, by introducing exogenous ketones to the body. It all sounded like the latest rapid weight loss cleanse fad, but the money was spent and I figured why not. It was almost like a drug. By the third day or so I experienced very high levels of energy, I didn’t need those pre and post workout supplements anymore, and that was from the exogenous ketones. Once my body went into full on ketosis about two weeks later, I was a machine. I started to lift weights at 8am for about an hour, and then hit the mats from 9:30 until noon. I then had to get ready to go to work by 2:30pm. It was not a problem, because I wasn’t only full of energy, my mind was more focused too. Never experienced a crash, I was never starving, and didn’t have any food cravings. Oh yeah and I lost 25 pounds in less than two months (on top of 30 pounds I’ve already lost with previous diets in the course of about a year). I was back to what I used to weight when I was 21 years old, but much healthier and stronger. I then started to introduce carbs to my diet, effectively switching from keto to low carb, and was able to maintain that for about a year and a half.

Like I said earlier, no diet can be kept up for the long run, but of all the diets I’ve tried, it was the keto and low carb diets I not only had the very best results, but I was able to keep them up for much longer.

As for the brain running on carbs, that’s a well debunked myth. When you’re on ketosis, ketones can fuel up to 70% of the brain, the rest is fueled by glucose that’s processed by the liver by converting fatty amino acids. Our ancestors survived with very low carb diets, so our bodies evolved to be fat-processing machines. Grains are a relatively new addition to the human diet.
What I said (and linked to) was low-carb diets contribute to greater all-cause mortality. And yes, I think keto is a fad diet which will eventually fall out of favor when people have more information about the long-term effects.

It's certainly a good way to lose weight.

I've been on a plant-based diet for 4 years, and have absolutely no trouble maintaining it, because it's easy to get all the nutrients I need from it. The keto diet is hard to follow because you can only eat the carb equivalent of 2 apples to stay in ketosis which very few people actually do. Compliance is extremely low, and no, not all diets are equal when it comes to compliance.

Yes, you can fuel the brain on ketones, so the fact that the brain prefers carbs is neither a myth or debunked. As the study here shows, low-carb diets in the long term lead to a far higher chance of alzheimers, specifically because of protein and mineral buildup in the brain. Not good.

People on pant based diets have the lowest BMI of any group, so not only can you lose weight on them, it's a better way to lose weight and far better for your health. Common sense prevails. Eating loads of fatty, protein dense foods turns out not to be a good idea, which we've known forever. Eating loads of vegetables, fruits, legumes, nuts, and whole grains turns out to be a good thing. What we've known for a long time is still correct. That's why keto is a fad. It just doesn't stand up to the science or results.

Quote:
Low carbohydrate dietary patterns favouring animal-derived protein and fat sources, from sources such as lamb, beef, pork, and chicken, were associated with higher mortality, whereas those that favoured plant-derived protein and fat intake, from sources such as vegetables, nuts, peanut butter, and whole-grain breads, were associated with lower mortality, suggesting that the source of food notably modifies the association between carbohydrate intake and mortality.
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...135-X/fulltext
Old 02-08-2019, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
What I said (and linked to) was low-carb diets contribute to greater all-cause mortality. And yes, I think keto is a fad diet which will eventually fall out of favor when people have more information about the long-term effects.

I've been on a plant-based diet for 4 years, and have absolutely no trouble maintaining it, because it's easy to get all the nutrients I need from it. The keto diet is hard to follow because you can only eat the carb equivalent of 2 apples to stay in ketosis which very few people actually do. Compliance is extremely low, and no, not all diets are equal when it comes to compliance.

Yes, you can fuel the brain on ketones, so the fact that the brain prefers carbs is neither a myth or debunked. As the study here shows, low-carb diets in the long term lead to a far higher chance of alzheimers, specifically because of protein and mineral buildup in the brain. Not good.

People on pant based diets have the lowest BMI of any group, so not only can you lose weight on them, it's a better way to lose weight and far better for your health. Common sense prevails. Eating loads of fatty, protein dense foods turns out not to be a good idea, which we've known forever. Eating loads of vegetables, fruits, legumes, nuts, and whole grains turns out to be a good thing. What we've known for a long time is still correct. That's why keto is a fad. It just doesn't stand up to the science or results.

I agree, unfortunately there is such an Historic cultural mind set that definitely does not want to hear it. Not to mention the relentless, and ongoing, massive, disinformation campaign mounted by the Ag/livestock industry) Which is very much attuned to and plays on the fact that a heavily animal protein based diet is so long term established and ingrained into our cultural psyche, that considering alternatives is either unwanted , frightening, or simply beyond serious consideration for many.
I myself was for 50+ years a heavy meat eater and thought all this "vegetarian stuff" was foo foo nonsense, right up until my Bilateral Carotid Endarterectomies and Double Bypass operations.

I would agree the vast majority of scientific study proves that a primarily plant based diet is healthier (I myself have been on one for 5-6 years now). But I would caveat and I think by past statement you would agree that diet "and exercise" are really the keys to better health.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 02-08-2019 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:00 PM

One of my uncles was diagnosed with celiac disease, at older age. He was much shorter, and more fragile looking than his 4 brothers and 2 sisters. My speculation is that he may have always had it, and that contributed to his small size. As a farm boy, I'm sure he had wheat, barley and rye in his diet.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 02-08-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:

Please explain the documented cardio vascular health of Inuit people .
Old 02-08-2019, 04:47 PM

What about 1959 cranberries or alar apple spray?

Fog

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic