The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-23-2015, 08:22 AM

Default Would you ever trade a Collings for a Taylor?

Hi AGF,

I've recently realized that I'm much more comfortable playing large guitars than small. I'm tall with very long arms and true jumbo sized guitars (~17 inch lower bout) put my body in the correct playing position, versus smaller guitars.

My main axe is a near mint 2008 Collings 0001...and I'm thinking about trading it for a jumbo. I've actually got it posted in the classifieds section now for a trade, but I've also been digging around my local guitar shops, just in case AGF doesn't pan out. One shop owner offered to trade me a new 2014 Taylor 618e for the Collings 0001. If I can't get a good trade through AGF, should I do it?

I definitely want a jumbo, but it feels weird trading a "boutique-ish" guitar for a guitar from a giant company...is this just me being crazy? Any specific thoughts about the 2014 618e? Should I hold out for a Taylor Grand Orchestra with upgraded woods or something?

Your wisdom would be much appreciated! Thanks!
Old 07-23-2015, 08:38 AM

If you like the Taylor than what is there to think about?

As to your provocative title, yes, if I liked the Taylor better than the Collings, I would make the trade in a heartbeat. Over the years we've had a good number of Collings traded in towards Taylors, as well as other brands.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

If the Taylor has the tone and playability that you desire and you are ready to let go of the Collings, it may just be the best option for you. You could take more time and see if maybe you can get more for the Collings, but at some point you spend more time and energy on that rather than playing. Obviously, you have to try the Taylor and see if it really has what you want. But, brand names aside, your fingers and ears are going to be what tells you if it is worth it.

Best,
Jayne
Old 07-23-2015, 08:44 AM

I'm all for trading something you may not use for something that you would use.

I'd rather have a truck than a sports car...even if the sports car was worth a little more. Why? Because I will use the truck every day. No, it's not as flashy, and I will get no stares at stoplights. However, I love having a truck and I use it all of the time.

Same way with guitars, and practically anything else I own.

The only thing that matters is if YOU are happy with the trade. Forget what anyone else says.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:54 AM

Would you ever trade a Collings for a Taylor?

Would I.....no, somebody else, that's their business..........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 07-23-2015, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

I'm with Rich on this one!

Some guitars
Old 07-23-2015, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

I personally wouldn't, but as others have said, if you like the Taylor better, then why not? The only thing I'll ad, is that trading-in a guitar at a retailer is rarely--if ever--the best financial move. You'll typically do considerably better in this regard selling a guitar yourself, then buying your new one with cash in hand; however, if that part of the equation isn't really important to you, and it's just a matter of acquiring a guitar that's a better fit for you in the easiest/cleanest way possible, then go for it!

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia

Last edited by drplayer; 07-23-2015 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Most likely not. It would take some extreme circumstances but I'm not you? You do what's right for you...let your ears decide!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 07-23-2015, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

My favorite ice cream flavor is strawberry

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 07-23-2015, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Personally, although I like the idea of trades, I wouldn't let go of a Collings to get a Taylor. But everyone has their own preferences, of course.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
My favorite ice cream flavor is strawberry
Mine too!!!!

As far as guitars go, both Collings and Taylor are premimum brands so it's not like trading a Mercedes for a Volkswagon. Collings may be less of a mass producer than Taylor, but it's not a one man custom shop either. If you like the Taylor then trade. Another option is to sell the Collings straight out and buy whatever you want with the cash.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 07-23-2015, 09:28 AM

I have never played a Collings but have heard many good things about them, on the other hand I tried a few Taylors and couldn't care less for them. So if they rock your boat it's likely you will find a Taylor owner willing to do the trade as they are quite plentiful it seems. However, if it's really the big 17 Jumbo size you're after you should be looking into Guild or Gibson. The upper end Guild Orpheum Jumbo is in a similar value bracket as Collings, and built in the "Golden Era" tradition. I own one and it's very enjoyable to play, though has no electronics. Unfortunately they are very rare (maybe less than 20 built) and it may be difficult to find one for trade, but there is one on Reverb for sale:

https://reverb.com/item/265787-guild...-2014-sunburst

Last edited by merlin666; 07-23-2015 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

Not a chance, but I'm not you.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Think about the replies to the question put another way, "would you trade a Taylor for a Collings?"

That should bring some perspective.

As for me the answer to the OP's question is, HELL no!!!

As the Wise Ones of the internet say, ymmv.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
I'm all for trading something you may not use for something that you would use.

I'd rather have a truck than a sports car...even if the sports car was worth a little more. Why? Because I will use the truck every day. No, it's not as flashy, and I will get no stares at stoplights. However, I love having a truck and I use it all of the time.

Same way with guitars, and practically anything else I own.

The only thing that matters is if YOU are happy with the trade. Forget what anyone else says.
My thoughts too, PPG. Better to have something you enjoy playing rather than something that is just sitting around, regardless of manufacturer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
000, collings, jumbo, taylor, trade