The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-26-2020, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

Default Buying a Stratocaster

So I'm going to dive into electric, as I want to learn to solo. First one I want to learn is Comfortably Numb. Learning it on my D-28 but the bends are tough.

I won't be playing out live, just jamming at home and with friends. Which one would you recommend? I understand that neck shape is subjective, but I'd like to hear your subjective thoughts.

I'm thinking Player Series Mexican Strat. Good enough? Thank you!
Old 03-26-2020, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Dirk: You don't need our advice; I think you hit the nail on the head. Fender Player series is all the Fender that most of us couch performers will ever need...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-26-2020, 02:21 PM

The Player Series is a great guitar. You won't have any issues with that. Squier Classic Vibe Strats are very nice and well respected and are about half the price.

You should factor getting a nice amp as well which could set you back a few hundred.

BTW: Comfortably Numb is a great solo. I learned it back in the late '80s.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:07 PM

The best advise I can give you is one my father gave long ago - always buy the best tool you can afford. If you can afford a D-28, you can probably afford an American Strat. I find them to sound much better when strumming acoustically (you won't always want to plug in, believe me) due to their nitro finish vs. the MIM's much thicker poly finish. Here's a good comparison:

https://spinditty.com/instruments-ge...-Guitar-Review
'02 American Series Strat – Sky Blue/RW
'05 Epiphone Les Paul – Amber Birdseye Maple w/ SD 59 neck & JB bridge
'04 Yamaha FG403S Dread
'14 Recording King ROS-06 12-fret Slothead
'17 Recording King 000 RO-T16 Torrefied top

Last edited by skyblue314; 03-26-2020 at 03:25 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Dirk: You don't need our advice; I think you hit the nail on the head. Fender Player series is all the Fender that most of us couch performers will ever need...
Right on, thanks RP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblue314 View Post
The best advise I can give you is one my father gave long ago - always buy the best tool you can afford. If you can afford a D-28, you can probably afford an American Strat. I find them to sound much better when strumming acoustically (you won't always want to plug in, believe me) due to their nitro vs. the MIM's thicker poly finish. Here's a good comparison:

Good read, thanks!

Now for the next one, HSS or SSS? I'm thinking HSS as I do like to rock.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Should I be concerned that the US versions are made in CORONA California?
Old 03-26-2020, 05:02 PM

As an electric to start on, I'd say your first thought of what Strat to get is fine.

Indeed neck shapes can differ, and in a normal world I'd say you should try a few to see what feels right or best to you, but we're not in a normal world right now, and your target is a perfectly good one to start with. And it's not unusual for tastes to change as you get into playing a particular instrument (and electric guitar is different instrument than acoustic).

Nailing Gilmore touch and timbres is a great goal I'd say too.

The first accessory you need to get (or make) is a shortened trem arm like Gilmore uses.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 03-26-2020, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

If you're hung ho on Gilmour, you might consider a Strat with active EMG pickups.

Also do you have an amp and effects? Those will be essential.

I laughed at your commenting about bending on an acoustic. Gilmour is nuts with some of those bends. I think Brick in the Wall bends 2.5 steps in places.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 03-26-2020, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblue314 View Post
The best advise I can give you is one my father gave long ago - always buy the best tool you can afford. If you can afford a D-28, you can probably afford an American Strat. I find them to sound much better when strumming acoustically (you won't always want to plug in, believe me) due to their nitro finish vs. the MIM's much thicker poly finish. Here's a good comparison:

American Strats don’t have nitro finish and the poly finish on the MIM Strats isn’t exceptionally thick, from what I’ve seen. The American Professional series, which replaced the American Standard, is finished in gloss polyurethane as per Fender’s own website. The American Standard series was also a poly finish.

The American Original series guitars do have a nitro finish, but they are even another price point above the American Pros, as are the American Ultras, which also have poly. The majority of the “American” lines have poly finishes, not nitro, apart from the Originals and the custom shop lines, as well as some artist models.

I absolutely love my American Original 50s Strat because it has a thick, soft V neck on it, which I find very comfortable to play.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Should I be concerned that the US versions are made in CORONA California?
Just spray it down with lysol and let it sit outside for 3 days.

Seriously though, if your seriously considering a US made Strat or say the $1500 -$3000 range and if you are not dead certain you locked into a Fender Strat only. I would offer there are some very worthwhile alternatives to Fender. Hear me out.

I went through this 3 1/2 years ago and had fully intended to get a Fender Strat or perhaps a Tele (given I had not touched and electric for some 47 years) I realized ,,,"I did not know what I did not know"

Now the good news bad news, is (being pre-corona) I spent some 3-4 months going to guitar shops all over the grater Denver Metro area playing everything I could get hands on from $1000 to about $2500 and low and behold I ended up buying a PRS CE 24 (which interesting enough has and overall shape more like an LP ) but with a bolt on neck and split coils. has a lot of Fender type spank

If it were me and I were you And you can wait (because of distancing)

I would consider two things,, actually playing some US Fender's (before purchase) as well as PRS CE 24 and The Silver Sky. And I would plan a trip to the Kiesel Factory (don't know where you are from Escondido) and check out their Strat style offerings

https://www.kieselguitars.com/customshop/

Photo of my first venture back into electric.... BE FOREWARNED -- GAS in the electric realm is double the economic hit !!! there are guitars and there are amps

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 03-27-2020 at 07:33 AM.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:53 AM

Best bang for the buck, go for a 6 series Yamaha Pacifica. Please look at their specs before dismissing the idea. The 611 has a hardtail with locking tuners, Seymour Duncan P90 and Humbucker, and Tusq nut and saddles. The 612 has Seymour Duncan pickups HSS, locking tuners and a great tremolo system. These are essentially already hot rodded guitars for the price of a MIM strat.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:42 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

I just bought my first electric about two months ago. Went with this Am Pro Strat (Sienna burst). Got it from Sweetwater for less than $1,300. Snagged a Champion 50XL for my starter amp. Recently added a nice tube amp - a Princeton Reverb. Now I’m on a pedal buying spree.

Electric is a money pit, man. But it’s FUN.

Old 03-27-2020, 09:10 AM

I think the best Strat deal out there is a used VRI (Vintage Reissue) '57 or '62 Stratocaster. These are very high quality instruments.

Short of that, I'd give the nod to a good MIM Strat.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:30 AM

The MIM player series are great values. I believe they have been replaced with Ventura series but pretty much the same thing. I have a EJ strat and a MIM Bajacaster. The Bajacaster holds its own at 1/3 the cost.

Although the EJ is pretty sweet I bought it because I loved the pickups and specs not because I wanted to sound like Eric Johnson. I suggest you play many to see which one speaks to you. Pickups are relatively inexpensive and easy to change if playabilty and model suits you.

2011 Martin 000-18 GE
2017 Martin 000-15m
2006 Martin D-18 GE custom Amberburst
1999 Martin OM-28-V
2018 Martin HD 28 Amberburst
1984 Gibson American SG
2013 Fender EJ Stratocaster
2019 Gibson Les Paul Honey burst "Classic"
2019 50's Baja Telecaster
Vox vt40, 1978 Deluxe Reverb, Fender Super Sonic 22 amp, lots of stomp boxes
Old 03-27-2020, 10:12 AM

The Player Strat single coil has hotter pickups than the American Pro Ultra or the Original. I like to play a lot of classic hard rock and it can do that and the more Bluesy Strat stuff as well. The bridge pick up on my HSS is very hot and takes dirt really well for rock or metal. I like it more than the 490’s that were on my Gibson Tribute although playing clean it lacks that Fender clarity and sparkle. I’m not sure I’d choose a guitar for one song. I like my HSS Strat and my Les Paul but if I could keep one to do everything it would be my Tele Deluxe. David Gilmour played the solo on Another Brick in the Wall with an LP with P90’s. For decades I thought it was a Strat.
Yamaha FS800
Fender Player Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Special
Epiphone Gold Glory Jared James Nichols

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars