The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-05-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I'm glad you said this. I've been questioning what I'm doing lately and my answer has always been to myself "its your hobby" which I guess is a good enough answer.
Artists want to make things. They can't help it. Lots and lots of thing try to convince them not to do this, and yet those things are only partially effective.

"Artist" sounds like a pretentious term, like it's some level of achievement or recognition, but I use it an more general way. For me composing pieces, playing and recording parts is something I just want to do. Back when I was a kid I liked putting together plastic model car kits, "kit-bashing" stuff from one box with another to produce my own hot-rod combinations. I remember a conversation with another peer asking why we did this? "I mean what do you do with them afterward, you can put them on a shelf and look at them, but still..." I think I shrugged then, he probably shrugged back. I didn't know enough then to say that Picasso or Prince probably felt the same way--that even if they got money and fame from it, that the real reason they did it was the same ineffable desire to make stuff. And there are probably word-workers and cake bakers who are driven by the same urge.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 10-06-2019, 07:33 AM

When I had my insult(MCA cerebellar infarct) in 2006, I lost the ability to keep time. It's now 2016, and I haven't gotten it back yet. I have a roomful of studio gear/guitars/keys and some days, I try. I have remained unsuccessful to this point.

I have to constantly remind myself that, it took 46 years to get where I was before.

It may come back and it may not.

If you find relaxation with the process, do it. If not, the gear will wait for you to find the right time and posture.

2019 Applegate SJ
Old 10-13-2019, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Artists want to make things. They can't help it. Lots and lots of thing try to convince them not to do this......
This is brilliant. And true.

I've been doing it for decades. As a bar gigger and hired gun from Arizona/Louisiana and the Heartland. Did the rock band/cd/tour thing with no major success.

I still write, create, record, post stuff on youTube and Soundcloud, burn cd's and carry on like a 17 year old who is in his 60's.

I have no idea why. I just HAVE TO......

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 10-13-2019, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Last night I just finally realized that even though the rest of the world might paint blue circles, I have to do green squares or I'm not me.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:13 AM

Tons of brilliant, thoughtful stuff here - AGF at its best!
Thank you, folks !

Just putting another CD together with original songs and instrumental tunes for fingerstyle guitar, banjo, mandolin, slide ... I love doin' it although noone will care.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 10-13-2019, 07:29 PM
Guest 33123

The muse finally found me last night and this was the result: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=560518
Old 10-13-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
The muse finally found me last night and this was the result: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=560518
Glad you’re back at it. That was very nicely played. Hope it spurs you on to more.
‘20 Gibson 1960 Hummingbird reissue
‘16 Gibson Hummingbird Avant Guard (gigging guitar)

Note to self: Never play a guitar you aren’t willing to buy.
Old 10-14-2019, 07:47 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlee7 View Post
Glad you’re back at it. That was very nicely played. Hope it spurs you on to more.
Thank you!
Old 10-14-2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
That was some good pickin J-Doug!

I record because I have to. I've been doing it since I was teenager. I make money doing it, it's fun to create, and more importantly it gives me real time feedback on what I'm good at, and more importantly, what I need to work on. Since I'm a player for a living, the more songs I write, which I develop in the recording process, the more songs I have in my bag to play. At many of my gigs, I do cover songs which I have to scale down to just one guitar and a voice. Recording helps me to hear what the simple arrangements sound like. I can't count the reasons I love to record. Get back on the horse, and stay on it. The rewards are plenty!
Old 10-15-2019, 10:52 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
That was some good pickin J-Doug!
Thanks!...
Old 11-08-2019, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

Don't be too critical on the sound of the guitar until you learn how to mix the recording.

It's very important on what frequencies need to be enhanced or attenuated. Do a Google search on "Mixing the Acoustic Guitar" and there is a tremendous wealth of free information.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
It really depends on your purpose for recording. Is it just for you, to capture the moment? Is it something you are going to share? How widely?

Finally, does it have to be done in one take?

I was recently collaborating on a project and just. couldn't. nail. the. part. I was frustrated. There was always something I didn't like. But finally, I realized, I can do it over as many times as I need. In as small a chunk as I need. Digital recording is great that way. So, I went back and pieced it together. Sometimes I would punch in to fix just one or two notes at a time. Other times, I would grab a good section of take, and just fly it in (copy/paste) to wherever else it needed to go that wasn't quite as good. Comping it together in the end took some work, but I had a "perfect take" when I was finished. Something I could share and be satisfied with. No one but me needed to know it was pieced together.

Recently here there was a thread noting that even in the old tape days, with amazing artists and recordings we have all heard, they did it that way. So no need for me to feel bad, if that's what the pros do.

You might feel differently (and if it's for video, you have fewer options and maybe have to learn to settle with certain mistakes), but it works for me.
^This. I cut and paste, insert, edit like a mad man to get the song just like I want it. Even though I am playing both guitar and vocals I record them separate.

If I have a finger picking intro for example I will play it 20 times in a row on the same track and keep the best one.

For vocals I accepted I will never be able to do one take all the way through like I want it. I will open up 4 tracks and sing the same verse over and over then cut and paste the perfect combination.

Keep working at it if it's important to you and you will find the right formula.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD