The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-26-2016, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
If the relief is too great, it most definitely causes string action to be higher.

It may not be the main means of adjusting action, but it does have an effect on string action.

And if the nut slots are adjusted properly, and the saddle is the proper height, but the relief is too great, it would be the proper adjustment to lower action.
technically you are correct, larry, in a kind of roundabout way, but the catch 22 is that you can't actually determine if the saddle height and nut slots are correct until the relief has been set correctly.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
technically you are correct, larry, in a kind of roundabout way, but the catch 22 is that you can't actually determine if the saddle height and nut slots are correct until the relief has been set correctly.
I do set the relief first, but if you're basing the depth of the nut slots off of the height of the 1st fret, it doesn't really matter.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:31 AM

Talking I'm there

After reading this and watching countless videos on YouTube, I can report that the action is now beautiful and low and very easy to play.

I just wanted to thank everyone for their input..)

Happy man
Old 05-22-2016, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
You really. really need to get rid of the idea that the purpose of truss rod adjustment is to lower or raise the action.

Action height is altered by adjustment at the saddle and at the nut.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this. number 1.
Old 05-22-2016, 05:14 AM

RESULT!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
adjustments, custom, low action, truss rod