The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-09-2005, 11:31 AM

Question Anyone ever owned an Aria?

Hey, I'm new here and to the guitar world. Just got the Aria Acoustic Pack from Music123.com with AW-20 guitar, tuner, etc. Seems to be well built, but again, I'm new. Seems great for the price. Anyone familiar with these guitars? Any advice?
Old 12-09-2005, 11:42 AM

Well this won't be of any help, but to answer your question, yes, my first bass was a 3/4-scale Aria, back in about 1979 or so. I really hadn't heard the name much at all over the past 25 years though. Where are they made? Do you know who owns them?

If you're new to guitars and playing a "starter guitar," which is fine, my primary concern would be that it's set-up reasonably well so that it's not difficult to play. The action of the guitar (the distance between the strings and frets) should be as low as reasonably possible so that you're not having to fight the strings to play. If it's not, a guitar tech can adjust it for you. Learning guitar is tough enough without that going on! Then you want it to stay in tune pretty well, be accurate in its notes all the way up the fretboard, have a pleasing tone and sound, etc. There's lots more, but those are the basics in my book. Good luck!

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 12-09-2005, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

I've played the into level Arias and was quite impressed. had a martin feel and a real good tone for the money!

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 12-09-2005, 12:12 PM

I believe they are made in Korea, but the guitar does not say. They are owned by Aria of Japan, with U.S. Distribution by AriaUsa. Not may folks have heard of Aria, or they know them just for their classical guitars.

By the way, I changed the stock strings to Martin Silk and Steels (at the advice of my local music store owner). They are much easier on my fingers and sound very good, at least to my untrained ear. I may go to D'Addario PB's once my fingers break in.

The stock action was a little high, but that's taken care of now. The saddle is not compensated, so I may have that changed later on for better tone. Otherwise, loud clear sound and good tone for a cheapie!

Thanks for the replies.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:16 PM

Well I used to know a girl named Aria some years ago, but I think that's a story for a whole differnent type of message baord.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:08 PM

I heard a story from a small guitar shop about those guitars.

I can't remember the gory details but there was supposed to be warehouses full of those guitars and who ever took over says they are going to move them at good prices to reduce all that inventory.

This particular store has some great deals on them.
Several great archtop models.

My point is, make an offer, you may get a great deal...
Old 12-09-2005, 06:15 PM

Default Loved it

Had a 12 string Aria ( Japanese Made) I found it to be a great guitar,easy to play, action was great never had to relieve the neck in the 23 years that I owned it ,not sure of the model that you mentioned ( hard to get info on this maker right now, had some problems)but I'm sure that you will be able to learn to play on yours fairly easy,mine was a jumbo(fairly large dreadnaught) so I hope you enjoy it and play it lots when your fingers get tired and they will just try to play a little longer, it will help you develope your finger strenght. louis ps someone stole it from my home and I do miss it an awful lot,I will replace it one day
Old 12-09-2005, 06:49 PM

Talking

Have an old (late '70s) Aria AW40 which is a Martin HD-28 copy...it has aged very well. This was 'handcrafted' in Japan. It appears music123 sells a similar model called the Aria AD50, but I can't vouch for the current vintage of Arias.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:08 PM

Default I have one!

My sister bought an Aria guitar and took lessons back in the 70's -- 'The Sound of Music' was in the theaters, if that helps date it. I remember picking her up from lessons and then going to 'The Castle' theater to see the movie. . .

But I digress. Fast forward to about 10 years ago, when I decided that I wanted to learn to play guitar. (Baseball was the only thing I played all my growing-up years. . .) My sister, who hadn't played since she was a teen, gave me her old Aria. I tried to play it for a couple months, but it was so difficult to play that I about gave up the whole guitar experiment. Thankfully, I decided to buy a Yamaha instead. . .

Now, fast forward to 6 months ago: I lost track of the Aria, loaned it out to who knows who, and forgot all about it -- and then, out of the blue, it showed up at my office. No idea who brought it back. Knowing a bit more about guitars now than I did ten years ago, I replaced the tuners, did a major truss rod adjustment, fiddled with the saddle a little, put on some good strings, and VOILA!! It's actually a pleasant little guitar!

A good friend -- who happens to be a tiny little woman -- wants to learn guitar, and that 3/4 scale Aria is absolutely doing the job for her. That old guitar is building itself quite a legacy, and I will probably keep it (while loaning it with impunity ) until I die.
2005 Airedale "Wrigley"

2007 Son "Nolan"

"There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept." -- Ansel Adams
Old 12-10-2005, 11:52 AM

Again, don't know if this is any help but my first guitar was a Japanese Gibson SG-style Aria I picked up in '87. It was an excellent guitar. Well made, sounded good, banged up pretty good. I sold it when making some life changes and I still remember it fondly.

As far as can tell Aria is a knock-off company that takes good American designs and makes affordable-but-high-quality copies of them. I think you have to import it if you want one new. Pretty sure, but not 100% positive.

Good luck.

----------
'09 Les Paul Traditional
'93 "Lucky" Taylor 910 (a.k.a. pawn shop rescue)
'62/'09 Fender AVRI Precision
Old 11-12-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacFla View Post
Have an old (late '70s) Aria AW40 which is a Martin HD-28 copy...it has aged very well. This was 'handcrafted' in Japan....
I have this model to, nice to see someone else with one. I love this guitar, great sound and well made.

Last edited by Kerbie; 11-12-2018 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

I had posted about Aria quite a bit. I can't find those posts anymore.

My first guitar was an Aria SW8. Decades later I found another for sentimental reasons and was surprised to find it was a solid wood guitar.

They were, in my opinion, at their peak in the early 80's. The Pro II line of electrics were quite nice I understand.

There seems to be no rhyme nor reason to the model numbers, build type, quality etc. since 1981+. They changed US distributors.

I love mine but I don't like the dread form factor anymore so it's mostly just a sentimental guitar. The neck is, in my opinion, the best ever made. If I ever commission a custom guitar I am going to have them copy this neck profile exactly - it's simply perfect.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

Last edited by fazool; 11-14-2018 at 06:08 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:49 AM

I have an AW20E circa early ‘90’s
It’s laminate b&s, spruce top.
I’m not really a dread guy, but it sounds and plays OK IMHO
Don
Old 11-12-2018, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

I haven't kept up with the company but I know that the old Aria guitars that were made in Japan were actually really nice. Both the acoustics and electrics. However I don't know if it's still the same company or where they're making the guitars now. I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up and play it to see how good they are today.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 11-12-2018, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

I had one in the early 70's. It was OM/000 size and I got it very cheaply used. My roommate at the time played bass in a band and he also had a Harmony Soveryn that he raved about when he got it. But he was always borrowing my $25 Aria to take to band practice!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion