The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-11-2018, 08:18 PM
Musical minimalist

Default Interesting results - Ebay vs. Reverb "traffic"

It seems pretty evident that Reverb has taken over the market share for instruments. I just listed something this morning on both venues at the same time, and as of 10 hours later - Ebay, 17 views and no watchers - Reverb 91 views and 9 watchers.

Over 5 times the traffic seems pretty substantial to me. Since Ebay went back to 3.5% final value I would have thought it would be much closer.

I certainly like Reverb's format for listing better

Old 11-11-2018, 08:47 PM

What's E-Bay?
Old 11-11-2018, 08:52 PM

I list on both and find that I typically have more views and watchers on Reverb but sell way more stuff on ebay.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:36 PM

That's great, until you find out that stuff sits on Reverb for weeks, months, and over a year. More tire-kickers and low-ballers on Reverb. Also not too sure of their issue "resolution" process.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage View Post
I list on both and find that I typically have more views and watchers on Reverb but sell way more stuff on ebay.
Same here.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage View Post
Interesting results, Todd, but as Osage pointed out, the bottom line is completed sales....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-12-2018, 08:57 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Interesting results, Todd, but as Osage pointed out, the bottom line is completed sales....
Yes - and my results have been in line with that lately - haven't sold anything on Ebay in over a year, while having moderate luck on Reverb.

Old 11-12-2018, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

I've sold all of my guitars locally, but as a buyer, I've completed more purchased via eBay than Reverb, even though I like Reverb's site better.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:00 PM

Have you noticed how many guitars are shipping from Japan on E-Bay? Check out "Gibson J-45" and then sort by "price + shipping: highest first", for example. There are hundreds!
Old 11-12-2018, 04:05 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
Have you noticed how many guitars are shipping from Japan on E-Bay? Check out "Gibson J-45" and then sort by "price + shipping: highest first", for example. There are hundreds!
You mean how many they are "attempting" to sell

They list the same guitar on 4-5 different user ID's and all different prices. Not sure what the angle is there, but at the prices they are listing them, they won't be selling to any educated buyer in the states. Most are listed about 40% more than brand new prices.

Old 11-12-2018, 07:42 PM

I have purchased a Larrivee OM acoustic guitar, an Eastman Archtop AE610 CE, a Marshall AS50D acoustic amp, a Digitech stereo looper, and a Fishman Platinum preamp/DI, from sellers on Reverb. All of these items have been pre owned but careful shopping on my part has yielded like new products at very reasonable prices. Shipping has been prompt with items well packaged and well represented. I have asked the sellers questions and received informative replies. In all instances I have selected the "Make an Offer" tab and reduced the listed price by about 10% being care not to lowball the seller. All of my offers were accepted.
I like Reverb.

Blues
Old 11-12-2018, 07:57 PM

Reverb has issues. I've sold a good amount of gear there. Currently have a gorgeous boutique amp that I can't give away. As a buyer, be careful with sellers misrepresenting items there.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:15 PM

I wonder how well it Reverb stacks up against Facebook Marketplace on lower cost items. I've scored used musical gear on FB more than anywhere else, outside of local shops. Some things i've scored; A 7pc Gretsch Catalina Maple drum kit with all hardware and Sabian B8 cymbals (which I dont use, because I drank the Zildjian K kool-aid) and nice Gibralter hardware & stands, a pair of M-Audio studio monitors (one is complete crap, but repairable), a like new Fishman Loudbox Artist and a TC Helicon Voicelive Touch with footswitch (almost brand new from the same seller for 500 bucks for both items), and a Zildjian 18" K Custom Fast Crash cymbal for 1/2 of what a new one would cost to add to my growing collection of used Zildjian K cymbals.

I like FB marketplace because like a music store, I can try stuff before I commit.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
You mean how many they are "attempting" to sell

They list the same guitar on 4-5 different user ID's and all different prices. Not sure what the angle is there, but at the prices they are listing them, they won't be selling to any educated buyer in the states. Most are listed about 40% more than brand new prices.
Those users are all brokers for a particular music store or vendor. It's pretty competitive, so if there is a Make Offer option, you can bargain for, at least in my experience, 20-50% of the BIN price.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:56 AM
Charter Member

As tire kicker / buyer I've learned to use the filters. Click North America and used. It gets you past all the retail stores and new equipment. The cost of selling and shipping is becoming a game changer.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic