Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-02-2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Ask any wife. They can remember every one of their husbands mistakes,
If a husband does something and his wife doesn't see it - is it still wrong?

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 11-02-2018, 10:26 PM
Charter Member

My memory has always been very good, and my earliest memory is probably my. 2nd b-day (just turned 47yo last week). My mind is slipping a little (or maybe it’s just stress), but my 13to daughter has inherited my detailed memory.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
If a husband does something and his wife doesn't see it - is it still wrong?
Only, and ONLY, if she has proof. No proof, it didn't happen.
Old 11-03-2018, 02:08 PM

Old 11-03-2018, 07:12 PM

Actually, memory is a weird thing. I just watched an episode ("The Memory Mirage") of The Nature of Things on memory...so pardon me if I go on a little.

People remember important events, but very very often RE-remember the details differently. For example, people who were in New York on 9-11 obviously remember the event, it happened after all. But there were studies done on New Yorkers asking for their memories right after, after 3 months, after 6 months, and after a year.

50% (yes 50%!) altered their memories; not of the event itself, but what and where they were. One person (right after, and 3 months) stated they were in the kitchen; after 6 months and a year stated they were in the dorm folding clothes. One woman stated she was with her husband; after six months she reported she was alone, her husband was off golfing.

Regarding the remembering of everything, they are not immune to being tricked into "remembering" things that did not happened. There was a study to see how easy it was to get people to "remember" things that had not happened. It involved interviewing 20-somethings and the interviewer stated they had talked to the participants parents. And that the parents had told the interviewer about an incident (which HAD NOT happened) when the person had got into trouble with the police. At the first interview, the participants denied the incident happened; by the third interview not only did the participants "remember" the incident, but gave very detailed "memories" of it.

BTW, 70% of the participants remembered the false event.

They then tried to do the same with this guy who has full past memory - interestingly, one of pair of twins, the other twin does NOT have full memory. What is up with that? Anyway, the guy with full memory could recall all sorts of details his brother could not. Nevertheless, the researcher also succeeded in planting false memory. So he had full recall of things that HAD happened, but was not immune to being tricked into memories that HAD NOT.

BTW, "full memory" is perhaps a misnomer. It is formally known as ‘HSAM’ (Highly Superior Autobiographical Memory).

Still, virtually everyone believes their memory is close to perfect. We are trapped into: "If I remember it, it must be true."

The facts are otherwise.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 11-03-2018, 07:21 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumei View Post
Actually, memory is a weird thing. I just watched an episode ("The Memory Mirage") of The Nature of Things on memory...so pardon me if I go on a little.

People remember important events, but very very often RE-remember the details differently. For example, people who were in New York on 9-11 obviously remember the event, it happened after all. But there were studies done on New Yorkers asking for their memories right after, after 3 months, after 6 months, and after a year.

50% (yes 50%!) altered their memories; not of the event itself, but what and where they were. One person (right after, and 3 months) stated they were in the kitchen; after 6 months and a year stated they were in the dorm folding clothes. One woman stated she was with her husband; after six months she reported she was alone, her husband was off golfing.

Regarding the remembering of everything, they are not immune to being tricked into "remembering" things that did not happened. There was a study to see how easy it was to get people to "remember" things that had not happened. It involved interviewing 20-somethings and the interviewer stated they had talked to the participants parents. And that the parents had told the interviewer about an incident (which HAD NOT happened) when the person had got into trouble with the police. At the first interview, the participants denied the incident happened; by the third interview not only did the participants "remember" the incident, but gave very detailed "memories" of it.

BTW, 70% of the participants remembered the false event.

They then tried to do the same with this guy who has full past memory - interestingly, one of pair of twins, the other twin does NOT have full memory. What is up with that? Anyway, the guy with full memory could recall all sorts of details his brother could not. Nevertheless, the researcher also succeeded in planting false memory. So he had full recall of things that HAD happened, but was not immune to being tricked into memories that HAD NOT.

BTW, "full memory" is perhaps a misnomer. It is formally known as ‘HSAM’ (Highly Superior Autobiographical Memory).

Still, virtually everyone believes their memory is close to perfect. We are trapped into: "If I remember it, it must be true."

The facts are otherwise.
Earlier this evening, I think I saw just a bit of the same episode of the Nature of Things. The segment involved the misidentification of offenders by eyewitnesses where they were wrongly convicted and later exonerated by DNA testing. The eyewitnesses could not believe how they could’ve been so mistaken.

Last edited by Acousticado; 11-03-2018 at 07:53 PM.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:47 PM

Yes, that is the one. Which is why most conscientious police forces (and not a few lawyers) put eyewitness quite low down on the reliability scale.

It is why I write in my journal every day. I have been tripped up myself when I was SURE I remembered something a specific way, then went back to check (as I have learned that just because I remember something does NOT mean it is true), and found out I was wrong.

This is one of the basic tenets of critical thinking - being able to state what it could be that would determine I am wrong. But people HATE being wrong. It is so much easier to simply believe you are right.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 11-03-2018, 08:08 PM

Part of what I do at work involves checking surveillance footage after a prior incident. I would get eyewitness accounts of the events. Then after watching the events unfold, over multiple camera angles, I can usually deduce what really happened and where the eyewitnesses got it right, and wrong. The thing I find most often forgotten or remembered incorrectly is the time. I have to pretty much go at least an hour or two backward and forward on surveillance footage to find the exact time an incident occurred. The second thing I find most often confused is the correlation of one incident to another. Usually the other incident happened way before or way after the incident in question, yet many people lump the two incidents a lot closer together than they were.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumei View Post
This is one of the basic tenets of critical thinking - being able to state what it could be that would determine I am wrong. But people HATE being wrong. It is so much easier to simply believe you are right.
The issue with me is, I am almost never wrong, and everyone hates than I'm almost always right!
Old 11-03-2018, 08:33 PM

On the serious side, we have likely all experienced suddenly remembering something that happened years ago because of something someone said, did, we saw, smelled, heard, etc. Our brains are an amazing design. There is nothing else like it in the universe. Heck, some of us have even memorized more that three chords.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

I remember perfectly well that I have a horrible memory.
Don’t need a reminder...

Now if I could only remember we’re I left my keys
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 11-04-2018, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
The issue with me is, I am almost never wrong, and everyone hates than I'm almost always right!
Ah yes.... then there is the old ( Those of you who think you are always right, are annoying to those of us who are ) syndrome

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 11-04-2018, 11:01 AM

Einstein said he only remembered where to find information, not the information itself. I have made that part of my memory recall over the years.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyghthawk View Post
I have CRS. I write myself notes, send my home email address messages, and other mnemonic tricks. I still forget (stuff).
Hi, my wife does that, and I don't. I forget stuff.

Please tell me what CRS is?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic