The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-03-2018, 06:13 PM

the family wanted to make sure that he was where he said he would be. ha!

after umpteen pages, everything else has been said.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 11-03-2018, 06:49 PM

Want to lose your audience fast?

Stare at sheet music or your iPad/iPhone. Works every time!
Old 11-03-2018, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
It's called "Airturn." I know, big surprise!

You can also do what I did, and that's copy and paste the terms "Bluetooth" and "airturn" into the Google search engine, and voila!
It may sound obvious to those who know about them, but I'd never heard of these. While I don't play out anymore, I love playing at home and playing and singing through whole songs and it really breaks the flow when I have to reach over to scroll the iPad to move the lyrics and chords along.

Just bought an Airturn PedPro as a result of this thread. It came earlier today and I charged it up and it's EXACTLY the ticket. Didn't have to configure it at all - just pair it up and a quick step on the right pedal scrolls down about a quarter or third of a screen at a time. PERFECT!

So I'm really thankful to those of you in this thread who mentioned the Airturn devices - I wish I'd known about these a couple years ago...

-Ray
Old 11-03-2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
It may sound obvious to those who know about them, but I'd never heard of these. While I don't play out anymore, I love playing at home and playing and singing through whole songs and it really breaks the flow when I have to reach over to scroll the iPad to move the lyrics and chords along.

Just bought an Airturn PedPro as a result of this thread. It came earlier today and I charged it up and it's EXACTLY the ticket. Didn't have to configure it at all - just pair it up and a quick step on the right pedal scrolls down about a quarter or third of a screen at a time. PERFECT!

So I'm really thankful to those of you in this thread who mentioned the Airturn devices - I wish I'd known about these a couple years ago...

-Ray

You’re welcome!
Old 11-03-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratcat77 View Post
OF COURSE I was joking.. really?

I was trying to use humor to avoid saying what I really think of the silly point of view that using an ipad makes me somehow less of a pro.....
This is a debate I've heard many times at our music club and I certainly prefer it when people don't use denigrating terms like someone is "less of a pro".

Check out a decent philharmonic and you'll see lots of "pros" following their sheet music.

With the covers and originals I see in the acoustic performances, if I close my eyes and listen I can just about predict those that are following song sheets / ipads. The songs sound staccato and don't have the same flow as when playing from memory.

Hence I try to encourage any / all to learn from memory. But if you can't, use that ipad / song sheet and play as that's what's most important.

I used to play only from song sheets and was amazed at how relatively easy it was to memorize songs once I put my mind to it, and believe me, I did think it was way too hard to do.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
Want to lose your audience fast?

Stare at sheet music or your iPad/iPhone. Works every time!
It's really not that serious. The ipad or songbook isn't there for sight reading, it's there for reference if and when needed. I've never had anyone say a word about my ipad being an issue. I've certainly never had anyone walk out of a gig for that,... or any other ridiculous reason.

If you see an ipad, and it makes you want to walk out of a gig, then good. Go home and be mad.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid! View Post

If you see an ipad, and it makes you want to walk out of a gig, then good. Go home and be mad.

This. And ask yourself why you didn’t have a gig of your own.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
This. And ask yourself why you didn’t have a gig of your own.
Check post #68.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid! View Post
Check post #68.

Post #68 is perfect.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Post #68 is perfect.
It certainly felt “right.”
Old 11-08-2018, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
If I use an iPad at all, it's for lyrics only and only for off the wall requests. I have an AirTurn Bluetooth pedal for scrolling.
I just discovered something that might be of use to those who use on-stage prompting as sparingly as I do, and thought I'd mention it on this thread.

I use an app called Setlists on my iPad. It allows me to make the print as large or small as I need, with as many or as few lyrics per page as I want. It also allows me to scroll the pages with my AirTurn Bluetooth pedal.

Given that I also use my iPhone for break music, I tried putting Setlists on my iPhone and pairing it to my AirTurn. I also can, as the name of the app suggests, have my setlist on the screen and access song lyrics, if needed, by tapping the screen.

It works like a charm and now I don't have to carry and set up the iPad for one, two or even no songs. A small victory to be sure, but they do add up.
Old 11-24-2018, 04:17 PM

I have to agree with a lot of the comments here. The best local performers I've seen don't use an iPad - or they use them very sparingly for reference. Otherwise - and this is just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions - I think it's kind of amateurish. But I'll take a small iPad mini on stage before a music stand with sheet music. It depends on the gig I guess, but in a club/pub/bar music stands at a gig just scream "I'm just starting out and I'm not a confident, polished performer".

Again, just my opinion. I've got one and so do you. They're both worth the same.
Old 11-24-2018, 04:51 PM

Tablets for professionals are here to stay.
Of course there will be those who say "if you are getting paid, then learn it", but one can only learn and know so much. The tablet is an effective tool that allows us to better give them what they want.
And, ime - giving them what they want is the key to success.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 11-24-2018, 06:41 PM

I've been using an iPad with OnSong and Bluetooth AirTurn pedal for about 5 years in our Praise Band. I keep it down low on a music stand and use it a lot when we practice but it's there for reference when we play services.

But I also control the other iPad for our click track so both are always within reach and where I can easily see them. It bothers me more to forget the song than it does to be looking at the music.

Like everyone else in our band I have a day job and often don't get more than a couple of hours practice in for this week's music. Songs may be in a different key than last time for different singers, it could be a different arrangement, there may be places where last time I was the only one playing and it was fingerpicking but this time our Worship Pastor wants me doing something different in a different place in the song, etc. I stand behind the singers and nobody is there to see me (I hope!) and everybody else in the band has sheet music or chord charts and my music stand looks just the same to the congregation even though mine has two iPads on it.

I like my iPad!

David

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 11-24-2018, 09:50 PM

Well, I used to memorize everything I could play. At my age I can either stop playing or use sheet music or an iPad. I think we forget that this is music we are making. As a part time purist () I listen to the music. If it sounds good to me then I am going to like it. That’s the point, is it not? if it does not sound good to my ears then I really do not care what or how it gets played. if you can put 15 effects in the signal chain and have it sound good then I will listen. Musicians wear ties, or t-shirts. They need the lyrics or not....if it sounds good then it IS good. Live music can be SO good....with or without a stand on stage.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write