The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-11-2018, 03:46 AM

Default Chip in new saddle

Bought a new bone saddle and a small piece chipped off under the low E string as per picture. I removed the piece and the guitar sounds fine. The pressure of the strings on the saddle is typical for a light set of 12s.
Is this normal? Is it acceptable? Or should I ask the seller for a replacement?
Does this sometimes happen to you with a new saddle?

And a second question. When installing an under saddle transducer, LR Baggs recommend a saddle to have a slight lean towards the neck (shown on the picture), why is that? Is it necessary?

Old 08-11-2018, 06:26 AM

I would request a replacement. The fit looks too good to be an inexpensive saddle.

If the pickup sounds good, then the saddle has the appropriate looseness and I would not be concerned about the lean. The saddle should not bind in the slot (pickup performance), or fall out under its own weight if the guitar is unstrung (general hassle when restringing).
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 08-11-2018, 06:59 AM

That's an awfully sharp bearing area that the strings are riding on. It's better to have a more rounded saddle peak to distribute the string pressure better. I'd get a new saddle. I'd expect more problems with that saddle in the future.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:04 AM

I think for the saddle lean that LR Baggs is not saying the saddle should lean but that it likely will and that if it does it is best to have a slightly angled bottom so the bottom is still flat on the slot bottom.

For the saddle I was wondering if the intonation required that the break point be located the the very front of the saddle? It would seem that having the string pressing down at the very front of the bone would make it much more likely to chip. The picture doesn’t look like the strings were individually intonated so I wasn’t sure if that is just how the maker makes them or a necessity.

Kent
Old 08-11-2018, 07:44 AM

I don't lean the saddle forward like that. I do sand it narrow enough so it pulls out easily since I don't want the saddle to bind in the slot at all.

The saddle will work fine, but if you payed a lot for it then a replacement might be worthwhile.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:44 AM

Thank you everyone for the replies. This forum is exceptional, full of competent and helpful people, honestly.
Anyway, the saddle wasn't expensive. As I said it sounds good but I'll try to contact the shop and see what they say.

Regarding the saddle lean I think what kjaffrey said, it's likely that a saddle positions itself that way if it's not to tight sitting the slot, I misunderstood the LR Baggs instructions.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsum View Post
Is this normal? Is it acceptable? Or should I ask the seller for a replacement?
Does this sometimes happen to you with a new saddle?
Yes and no.

Bone does have some soft and hard spots within its structure that is the nature of bone, so it’s possibly a soft spot existed and has simply collapsed.

More likely however...

When we string a guitar up, ideally you bend the ball end, well I do.

If the ball end is not flat against the bridgeplate inside and you start to tune the guitar, the string grinds across the top of the saddle, sometimes the bridge pin will rise up in its hole, this action is loading the front of the saddle, it can and occasionally does break the edge away.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 08-14-2018, 04:27 AM

Just a quick update.
I contacted the shop (tonetechluthiersupplies.co.uk) and they sent me a replacement saddle straight away, without asking any further questions. So it's been a good experience with them.
Old 08-25-2018, 05:54 PM

A very fine supplier. Give them your future business.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsum View Post
Just a quick update.
I contacted the shop (tonetechluthiersupplies.co.uk) and they sent me a replacement saddle straight away, without asking any further questions. So it's been a good experience with them.
FWIW, the saddle slope is greater than necessary, and greater than ideal. The pressure is focused solely on the top peak, putting too much pressure on the bone, and it resulted in this case with a chip.

The back slope of the saddle is BEST when the full string rests on it, distributing the pressure evenly along the string path, rather than focusing the pressure on one point only at the saddle peak.

Glad they sent you a replacement.

Regarding pickups and saddles... A saddle should fit snugly but not tightly. It should not lean in the saddle, because this can introduce some other issues. I sometimes bevel the bottom edges of the saddle EVER SO SLIGHTLY!!! (Basically just removing the sharp corners) And a slight slight bit more than this sometimes when installed over a UST.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair