The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-13-2018, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Default Cold Feet?

Okay, This might just be a first on the AGF, a cold feet thread. Since working outside late in the year on a deck project about four years ago, my feet have been especially hard to keep warm, especially my toes. Even inside my shop or inside our home my feet (and again) especially my toes get cold very fast and are very difficult to warm. I'm sure age is playing a role here, 56 next month but I am hoping that others with a similar problem have found socks that help. The one sock I have found that seem to keep my feet warmer is Jacks socks and the light brown ones in particular but they have unfortunately gone out of business and I have not been able to find any online surplus stores with them. My fingers suffer similar issues and even turn white so gloves that allow some dexterity and warmth would also be nice.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

I'm older than you with the same problem and I've been using these here in NY for 2/3 years now, best I've found: https://darntough.com/

Tom
Old 11-13-2018, 01:59 PM

At home-- UGG slippers. Really. I felt like a fool buying them, but the fleece really keeps my feet nice and toasty, and I live in a drafty old house with hardwood floors.

Alas, you probably can't wear them to work

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 11-13-2018, 03:31 PM

UGG slippers for indoors. UGG boots for really cold temps (single digits) outdoors.

Almost any wool sock does a pretty good job of keeping my feet warmer: Smartwool is good. Bombas socks are very comfortable because of how they deal with seams, and their wool socks are nicely warm.

Wool mittens are great for keeping hands warm, and you can add glove liners if you want more warmth. Wool gloves are almost as good.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:34 PM

Sounds like poor circulation. Not to be alarmist but have you talked to your doctor about it? Sometimes low blood pressure or being slightly dehydrated can be contributory to that problem.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 11-13-2018, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

I thought this was a thread about stage fright..... or a fear of making an expensive guitar purchase. I was surprised that it's literally about cold feet. I am warm blooded, but my wife gets cold feet easily.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:22 PM

Lol I thought it was gonna be someone fixing to get married. Anyway....as a hunter my feet get cold on a regular basis this time of year. Anymore if they gets soaked and cold from hunting I almost have to take a hot shower to get them warm. Other than that check out Cabela’s or bass pro for some thick hunting socks. They should help u. If not I’ve seen some heated socks that run on batteries.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
I am warm blooded, but my wife gets cold feet easily.
Likewise. It's still shorts and sandals weather.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:13 PM

Wool socks, merino wool, works great, cotton just makes your feet sweat and fell cold.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie51 View Post
I'm older than you with the same problem and I've been using these here in NY for 2/3 years now, best I've found: https://darntough.com/

Tom
Thanks Tom! Looked them up and a local Amish store near me stocks them, I'm getting some pronto!
Old 11-14-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyghthawk View Post
Sounds like poor circulation. Not to be alarmist but have you talked to your doctor about it? Sometimes low blood pressure or being slightly dehydrated can be contributory to that problem.
Agreed. Feet getting cold due,to prolonged exposure to cold is one thing but hard to keep warm is something to have checked out.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

What worked for me was moving to Florida 30 years ago.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Joe,

If your hands and feet are cold this time of year, even while indoors, then you might have something called Raynaud's Disease. It's not life threatening, just aggravating and embarrassing when shaking hands https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20363571

If I let my feet or hands get real cold they will turn white and/or break out in painful red bumps. By being careful to keep them warm I can greatly limit these outbreaks. And I do spend a lot of time outdoors in the winter, but not standing around.

Try the merino wool socks, as suggested, and I find wool mittens rather than gloves keep my hands warmer. When it gets real cold I will put a very thin liner type glove inside the mittens. The liners are made by New Balance for runners. Those little heat packets are good when it gets terribly cold or you have to stand around for a bit. I keep some in my backpack.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:16 AM

I moved from southern Cali to Chicago a few years ago so I feel your pain. UGG boots are now my favorite foot wear.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Joe,

If your hands and feet are cold this time of year, even while indoors, then you might have something called Raynaud's Disease. It's not life threatening, just aggravating and embarrassing when shaking hands https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20363571

If I let my feet or hands get real cold they will turn white and/or break out in painful red bumps. By being careful to keep them warm I can greatly limit these outbreaks. And I do spend a lot of time outdoors in the winter, but not standing around.

Try the merino wool socks, as suggested, and I find wool mittens rather than gloves keep my hands warmer. When it gets real cold I will put a very thin liner type glove inside the mittens. The liners are made by New Balance for runners. Those little heat packets are good when it gets terribly cold or you have to stand around for a bit. I keep some in my backpack.

Hope this helps.

Yep, Raynaud's appeared a few years ago in both my fingers and toes. First time I noticed it I thought I was disappearing, fingers first Like Marty McFly!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic