The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-08-2018, 07:25 AM
Eric Skye

Default Eric Skye Lesson On Solo Fingertsyle Jazz/Blues

Starting a new occasional Youtube series I'm calling the Deep Dive, which is just a very long form stream-of-consciousness rant about how I play a tune, the thinking behind it, thoughts on arranging, some theory, technique, the weather... There's a link to tablature with it. First up is the companion lesson to the Newman's Blues video I up put two days ago, which is an original solo fingerstyle jazz/blues jam from my new album. Here’s the lesson https://youtu.be/URzwPbUveNg

And then here’s just the tune https://youtu.be/KFGKdXnRi3M

Have fun, e
Old 11-08-2018, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Hi Eric,

I really dug your video just playing this tune, and it's great to have this lesson. I've been playing a long time, but am very new to finger style. But as challenging and interesting as this is musically, it mostly doesn't look too technically challenging to play. A lot of pinched chords and relatively simple melody lines. I'm gonna try to bite off a few chunks of it anyway. I may not get far, but I'll no doubt learn a lot from it. So thanks!

Also, a very brief gear question - what are those fingerpicks you're using? They look like they fit over the back of the finger and simulate a longer nail, as opposed to most of them that fit on the soft part of the finger. Just curious - I've never seen picks like those before.

Thanks,

-Ray
Old 11-08-2018, 09:55 AM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
...I'm gonna try to bite off a few chunks of it anyway. I may not get far, but I'll no doubt learn a lot from it. So thanks!

Also, a very brief gear question - what are those fingerpicks you're using? ...
Thanks,

-Ray
That's great Ray. Let me know if you have any questions.

And, yes, those are called "Alaska" fingerpicks. I've been using them for over a decade. When I buy them I file and shape them like classical guitarist would their own natural or acrylic nails.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
That's great Ray. Let me know if you have any questions.

And, yes, those are called "Alaska" fingerpicks. I've been using them for over a decade. When I buy them I file and shape them like classical guitarist would their own natural or acrylic nails.
Cool, thanks. Just ordered a few from Amazon. I like the open finger ProPiks I've been using, but these look interesting, fitting the opposite way more like an actual nail. Worth a try anyway...

I'll let you know if I have any questions with the music. I'll probably just try to bite off a few of the easier sections at first and see if they're as playable as they appear to be - looks can be deceiving...

-Ray
Old 11-08-2018, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

That looks great, Eric... thanks! I'm in...

Very nice tune. I enjoyed that.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for posting these, Eric. The more I have watched your videos, the more impressed I am at how ORIGINAL you are.

I have played quite a bit of chord melody, studied the typical "jazzer" material, and even played in a few jazz groups with my Gibson Johnny Smith. However, I have become rather disillusioned with the whole thing because it always seems to become pretty much more of the same.

You, on the other hand, are an original. when you play a cover, you make it your own and not some standard chord melody fare. Your treatment of covers is just as original as your treatment of your own compositions, as in the current example you posted (i.e. comparing "Newman's Blues" to your treatment of "Contemplation"). You are definitely an inspiration and I am about to purchase your albums and "steal you blind" as Chet Atkins used to say about guitar players he admired.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 11-08-2018, 11:53 PM
Eric Skye

Thank you Tony. That made my day
Old 11-09-2018, 04:08 PM

Great. I cannot wait to dig into this. I have been really enjoying the new album, especially your takes on Watermelon Man and Blue Monk.

Also, I recently watched your Thirty Day challenge series and found it to be very insightful and interesting.

Bruce
Old 11-15-2018, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Eric, really enjoyed both videos and found the “deep dive” really informative. I want to add that putting up the DD was very generous on your part.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write