The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-04-2018, 07:01 AM

Default Finally finished my basic recording setup after a long time hunting for used gear

How does it look?

The things bought new were the zoom H5, the cables, and the mic stands.
As for the used.
I got a panasonic G7 for half the price after 5 months snooping around.
A 25mm lens for "low light use".
2 Akgs c451 b (one of them for less than half the price).

The only thing missing now is a power bank for the zoom H5. The power draw of the mics are too much for the internal batteries, so I need to keep it connected to a power outlet.

Also accepting suggestion for mic positioning.
And... Is there a way to fine tune the level of the left/right channels of the stereo files in a DAW other than panning?

Last edited by Vindellama; 11-04-2018 at 07:17 AM.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Was the cat new or used ? As far as mic position the cat should either face the mic or the mic moved to face the cat

As far as more level control beyond panning depends on how the DAW handles stereo If it has two faders and two panning knobs, one left one right like Pro Tools then yes you can set levels and control amount and position of pan separately for left and right individually . If it only has one fader and or one panning knob or slider , then you can always record to two separate mono tracks and have complete separate panning and level control

Also you might want to consider a throw rug over the tile floor

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 11-04-2018, 11:33 AM

I first thought the cat was a bass trap, but it turns out the stuff I read about cats catching bass are about fish, not audio.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 11-04-2018, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

Glad to hear you've got your setup in place. I too spent a long time seeking out used recording gear when it made sense; it's hard to justify new gear for me as it's a hobby (recording) of a hobby (guitars) of a hobby (playing guitar). Regarding mic positions/techniques, I pretty much stick to stereo recording, A-B setup, 16-30" back from the guitar, spaced 12-24" between mics, panned hard left and hard right.

Hopefully this gear of yours means more of your recordings posted.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

Last edited by ChuckS; 11-04-2018 at 05:18 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Was the cat new or used ? As far as mic position the cat should either face the mic or the mic moved to face the cat

As far as more level control beyond panning depends on how the DAW handles stereo If it has two faders and two panning knobs, one left one right like Pro Tools then yes you can set levels and control amount and position of pan separately for left and right individually . If it only has one fader and or one panning knob or slider , then you can always record to two separate mono tracks and have complete separate panning and level control

Also you might want to consider a throw rug over the tile floor
Thx for the rug idea! I'll try it the next time I record in my bedroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
I first thought the cat was a bass trap, but it turns out the stuff I read about cats catching bass are about fish, not audio.
Great cat puns all around

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Glad to hear you've got your setup in place. I too spent a long time seeking out used recording gear when it made sense; it's hard to justify new gear for me as it's a hobby (recording) of a hobby (guitars) of a hobby (playing guitar). Regarding mic positions/techniques, I pretty much stick to stereo recording, A-B setup, 16-30" back from the guitar, spaced 12-24" between mics, panned hard left and hard right.

Hopefully this gear of yours means more of your recordings posted.
I guess in mine the mics were farther apart and closer to the guitar, around 12".
Unfortunately I decided to postpone a few more months until I change my old computer for my sanity sake. The last one took 3 days with the PC freezing, when with a good one it would take only one hour to edit and export the video.
But you can have some idea of how things will start to sound in this comparison I made:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD