The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-02-2023, 06:48 AM
Guest 61722

Default SGD

Same Guitar Day.

Nothing to report at the moment. Just that I am still over the moon with the new one.
Old 06-02-2023, 07:15 AM

Hey

Howzabout a sound/video clip of you playing your new wonderful muse?

That would be fun...a NGVD...New Guitar Video Day {;-)

We would all love to see and hear it!

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 06-02-2023, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

Usually unless you have a decent room and some recording gear all we'd hear is how poor a cell phone video can sound.

Pictures are good though!

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-02-2023, 07:27 AM
Guest 61722

No, no.... I'm not a person who puts videos of herself on the internet. I live in fear of going viral!

Though you would never know from my AGF posts, I'm a little shy about playing for other people, except my husband, because he can't escape it, and my dad, who's losing his hearing and thinks I sound great no matter how bad it really is. LOL.

I only play guitar in parking garage stairwells, under cover of darkness. I love playing guitar and think I'm doing okay for a novice, but I suffer terribly from "imposter syndrome." (As my two insanely beautiful guitars stare me down, sayin' Why are we just hearing about this now???)

I want to try playing an open mic some day, but I'm still too much of a noob to hang it all out there. I think it's more about my lack of singing ability than anything else.

But who knows... maybe some day?
Old 06-02-2023, 07:29 AM
Guest 61722

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Usually unless you have a decent room and some recording gear all we'd hear is how poor a cell phone video can sound.

This!

I record myself playing (and singing) on my cell phone sometimes just so I can hear how I sound or to see if I'm keeping a steady tempo.

Answer: AWFUL!!!! I pray. to. GOD I don't sound that terrible in real life.

PS I am no Glennwillow, that's for sure.
Old 06-02-2023, 08:24 AM

Quote:

I dunno Barry

During the heart of the Covid pandemic Mary Chapin Carpenter did what, about 65 videos in her kitchen, just recording off of her cell phone in her "Songs From Home" series, and she, and her guitars sounded just terrific.

If you have a modern smart phone, and a room with decent acoustics, it is amazing how well the built in mic's in these phones can record with really good fidelity.

duff
Old 06-02-2023, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
I dunno Barry

During the heart of the Covid pandemic Mary Chapin Carpenter did what, about 65 videos in her kitchen, just recording off of her cell phone in her "Songs From Home" series, and she, and her guitars sounded just terrific.

If you have a modern smart phone, and a room with decent acoustics, it is amazing how well the built in mic's in these phones can record with really good fidelity.

duff
Hey, fine by me, but you have to have "that" room.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-02-2023, 08:44 AM
Guest 61722

I don't have that room either.
Old 06-02-2023, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janinep7 View Post
I want to try playing an open mic some day, but I'm still too much of a noob to hang it all out there. I think it's more about my lack of singing ability than anything else.

Check some local jams or song circles. I attend several and though there are very good singers you have just as many like me.

My singing isn't great and there are a few worse than me. But you know what? We all have a good time. Someone will even say "That's a good song". Even though you need to spray some air freshener.

You can even pass your turn. Just go and have fun playing.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 06-02-2023, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

PS I am no Glennwillow, that's for sure.
Few of us are I think. Well....maybe I should speak only of myself ! I enjoy his videos a lot..
Old 06-02-2023, 11:38 AM

Quote:
This!

I record myself playing (and singing) on my cell phone sometimes just so I can hear how I sound or to see if I'm keeping a steady tempo.

Answer: AWFUL!!!! I pray. to. GOD I don't sound that terrible in real life.
I think for most or maybe a lot of people it is a typical reaction to hearing yourself sing.

The trick in the singing part is to find out where your wheelhouse is.

what kind of songs, and what keys are you most comfortable with.

You have the motivation, that's pretty clear. Eventually you'll figure it out,

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 06-02-2023, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

Couple of comments.

If you’re not particularly good at staying in time, practice with a metronome for a while then move up to playing along to canned drum loops. Not to practice any songs in particular, but to practice doing whatever you do, but in time. Its boring, but its good for discipline.

For confidence in playing in front of people, trying playing with several other people first. Start off as just a role player, maybe not singing at all or only backing vocals occasionally. If that starts to feel good then start folding in a song or two a set where you sing a verse of the song and lead on the chorus. Then two verses….etc…. You get the idea. Build confidence as you go. Listen to your playing and singing. Lots of famous artists hated their own voices. Try transposing material to a different key if it suits your voice better. Tune down, use open tunings, etc… There are lots of things to try.

+
Old 06-02-2023, 12:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:
No, no.... I'm not a person who puts videos of herself on the internet. I live in fear of going viral!

Though you would never know from my AGF posts, I'm a little shy about playing for other people, except my husband, because he can't escape it, and my dad, who's losing his hearing and thinks I sound great no matter how bad it really is. LOL.

I only play guitar in parking garage stairwells, under cover of darkness. I love playing guitar and think I'm doing okay for a novice, but I suffer terribly from "imposter syndrome." (As my two insanely beautiful guitars stare me down, sayin' Why are we just hearing about this now???)

I respectfully disagree, first doing it isn't for everybody. I totally get that - much respect for that. BTW great guitar, congrats. I remember your post, I'm not touching the Low E string. I work with a couple of ladies, one has a large, beautiful sounding J-200. I stopped trying to get her to go to a lighter gauge for ease of playing. She loves the low E string...and Drop D - forget about it! I learned my lesson.

I disagree about the iPhone though, of course it's an iPhone recording but still - much music worth listening to has been recorded on less. That is all.
Old 06-02-2023, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

I went to Gryphon for the first time since buying my Santa Cruz two months ago. Forced myself to play a used 000 15,nice, but that was that. They were out of at least two boutique brands and the used wall was sparce. Lots of nice Collings though, and the 40s D 28s were still there.

I'm still very much under the spell of the Cruz.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 06-02-2023, 05:38 PM
Guest 61722

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
I went to Gryphon for the first time since buying my Santa Cruz two months ago. Forced myself to play a used 000 15,nice, but that was that. They were out of at least two boutique brands and the used wall was sparce. Lots of nice Collings though, and the 40s D 28s were still there.

I'm still very much under the spell of the Cruz.
This made me think of the song "I Put a Spell on You." :0)

Re: the 000, I'm experiencing what I hope is a temporary phenomenon. It's just sounding so thin right now compared to the HD-28. I'm shocked! I think I need to put new strings on it, but the difference is really noticeable. I still like it better for finger picking certain songs - wider string spacing and the tinkling twinkling crispness of mahogany. But for strumming... HD-28 cannot be beat. Wow! I know it's not an apples to apples comparison, and soon my ears will be used to the HD-28 and it will be the new normal point of reference, but I seriously doubt I will ever describe it as "thin."

He's a chonky guitar, that's for sure!

Last edited by Guest 61722; 06-02-2023 at 06:04 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion