The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-01-2023, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

We don't have a very large house so no man-cave dwellings for me to decorate. I have three Hercules wall hangers in the living room where my modest collection is tastefully displayed and in easy reach for daily play. The only time they see their cases is when they are being transported to and from a gig and that's always in gig bags. They only see the inside of their hard cases twice while in my possession: Once when they are bought and once again when they are sold. My wife doesn't mind them hanging in the living room but then again she is the lead singer in our acoustic duo so there is that.
Old 06-01-2023, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
While my wife doesn't play guitar, she likes seeing them and listening. I usually have 6 of the 9 in my den/guitar room and the other 3 on stands around the house.
This is my situation. Although currently just one carbon fiber in the kitchen where I sit and do things like browse AGF. (used to be 3 of them around).

My wife really enjoys my playing. She is somewhat amused by the 10+ guitars - so much so that when she saw a baby Taylor at a Goodwill one day she called me to "make sure she should get it". Of course dear!

Guitar gear is the least of our clutter worries. She was sent to work from home 24/7 during and now after the big P. Her office stuff is still all over the place.

I've always done a couple days from home but more so, plus my monthly field work requires a bunch of gear, including camping gear. This stuff is scattered around the 3 floors of our house now - too much of a hassle to leave at work.

She doesn't mind. She has her own hideaway room in addition to her new basement office. (a basement space we share b/c most of my PA gear is down there).

We're both a little too "flexible" you could say (new visitors are always a little taken aback).

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics
Old 06-01-2023, 10:11 PM

Have my own space for guitars and related stuff. Used to share it with the kittens we fostered before Covid. The guitars are kept in cases when not being played, but I typically have at least a couple out to play at a time. The room also has my computer. I do keep a guitar stand and music stand in the family room for when I want to play in that room. There is a little guitar related art in the family room, but not a lot.

Jefr
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 06-01-2023, 10:37 PM
Charter Member

Not the basement and not just instruments but a recording space with panels on the walls and ceiling.

Never got flack for this (plenty of other decorating ideas though ).

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-01-2023, 10:53 PM

Right now 6 guitars, a tenor banjo, an autoharp and a mandolin around me in in the living room another 4 guitars in their cases.

Bases, drums, more guitars, dobros and other very essential things I need in my life are in my home studio in the basement but can move up quickly.

Of course, I’m divorced.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 06-02-2023, 03:46 AM

My guitars used to be kept in a spare bedroom,but we moved them to a controlled room in the basement, simply because it allows us to make a playroom upstairs for the grandkids. My wife is ok with me playing or storing them anywhere but this works out best. I keep all guitars in cases with humidipaks when not being played.
Guild Jumbo Junior (2022)
Luna Henna Paradise(2018)
Martin DX Johnny Cash(2019)
Martin 000-18(2019)
Martin 000C Jr-10 (2022)
Zager ZAD800M (2021)
Fender Squier Stratocaster(2009)
Old 06-02-2023, 05:22 AM

Living in central Florida in a small, 2 bedroom 100 year old house with no central a/c I don't leave my guitars out of their cases. I get a small corner in the living room that I keep a small Fender amp, a stool and an antique music stand that my wife actually really likes. I keep 4 guitars stashed behind the bedroom door. The rest are at work in my office. I just switch them around and the wife can't keep up with what I have ...lol... My main gear is at church to be used on Sunday and weekly practice.
Martin DM16
Epi Sheraton
Gretsch G2410TG
Gretsch Electromatic 12
Old 06-02-2023, 06:20 AM

My wife has no music aspirations, my son was a percussionist in the Marching 100 at IU, But he no longer plays, he was a Journalism major.

Me, I have been beating on these crazy wooden things since I was 10, I am now 64.

I was a percussionist in High School. I can tell you it's easier to gather the ladies strumming a guitar then from behind a drum set.

In the basement next to all my fly tying "stuff" is a rack with 1 electric, 2 acoustics, 1 ukulele, and a tambourine. There is also a snare drum, the only thing left from my drum set.

Upstairs in the guest room are 7 acoustics, 1 electric, and a mandolin. There is also a harmonica in the dresser drawer with all the extra guitar doodads'. And I also have my Vox amp up there as well.

All but 3 of the guitars are cased. Of all that are cased, 1 is in a gig bag. But as I type this, I am wondering, why do I have 2 extra gig bags not being used?

I built stands for 6 of the cased guitars. Even though they are cased I wanted them off of the floor. I would build another one, but I don't have the space.

My wife suggested removing the bed in the spare room and putting all of the music related items in there. She said, "You sure lit up at that". I told her it would be nice, but we should probably leave the bed there. Never know when I will get in trouble.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 06-02-2023, 06:36 AM
Charter Member

Interesting thread

Currently my guitar room is the master bedroom the guitars (always cased) live in the cubby beside the master bedroom fireplace (never used)
The recording desk and gear rack are in the corner of said bedroom

I don't feel the need to (nor does the climate allow) having a guitar "out" in the living room or view room

We are however in the planing stages and early stages of developing a new piece of property where I will have a dedicated music practice and recording studio

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 06-02-2023, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

We have two bedrooms in our condo and this is my playroom for guitar and crafts etc.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...1&d=1685710471
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_20230602_074803 - Copy.jpg (55.4 KB, 77 views)

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 06-02-2023, 07:32 AM

I have one guitar on a stand in the living room. There’s a huge old upright piano there, too, that belongs to my other half. All of my other music stuff - and there’s a lot of it - is in my music room on the 2nd floor. That’s where I make all my noise. I’m sure she thinks I have way too much stuff - because any sane person would - but I never hear a word about it. She has one guitar and a couple of ukes but she rarely plays these days; she’s too busy with her horse, dog training, and birding.
Old 06-02-2023, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

The band I'm in rehearses in my basement, so there's a full PA setup down there , 4 mic stands, my guitars, Mandolins, Dobros ,Ukulele , the bass amp the bassist leaves as it's his spare and he doesn't want to lug an amp to practice.
An assortment of things the guys "forget" every time they rehearse. Not to mention the panicked phone calls before a gig " I left my.... can you make sure you bring it? "
My saving grace is there's also "her" 9 ft grand piano, two keyboards, her powered speaker for the keyboards, so it all works out.
Old 06-02-2023, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

When the kids were young - 20 years ago, my wife used to complain that I was keeping the kids up playing guitar at night. So I closed in the boat slip in our 3 car detached garage and turned it into a 15 x 18 music room. Its got its own AC and heat, a large dehumidifier, a work bench for working on guitars, hangers for all the guitars which stay out all the time, and all my amps. I can play up to what I would call moderately loud on a 18w tube amp without disturbing anyone. Plus I don’t disturb the feng shui of the main house with my guitar stuff.

Win, Win, Win….. from Michael Scott’s conflict resolution booklet…..

+
Old 06-02-2023, 10:34 AM

My wife plays dobro and mandolin and we live in a one bedroom apartment. There are guitars/dobros/banjos/mandolins all over the place.
Old 06-02-2023, 10:48 AM

All guitars (for the most part) in one temp and humidity controlled room. All on hangers for years with zero problems. Only small amps in this room; bigger amps in basement with drums, where all recording happens.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion