The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-20-2019, 12:00 PM
The North American Guitar - Richard Poll's Avatar
The North American Guitar - Richard Poll The North American Guitar - Richard Poll is offline
AGF Sponsor

Post The Master Ervin Somogyi Joins The North American Guitar

Today is without a doubt one of the proudest days for The North American Guitar. We can now officially announce to the world that after many months of hilarious conversations with this wonderful man, the master Ervin Somogyi has joined the luthier roster at TNAG (or The NAG as he likes to call us) for us to become his exclusive European dealer and representative.

It is certainly hard to put into words the pride we all feel here at The North American Guitar to be given the opportunity to represent Ervin's instruments and, of course, his legendary name and brand. I know it will be a truly great day for us all when we etch his name on to the TNAG website. Since its formulation back in 2010, The North American Guitar has always set out to build a home for the finest guitar builders on the planet, to help promote and market their guitars to as wide an audience as we can, and to add the name of Mr Somogyi to our team is a dream come true.

We have written at great length about the prestigious Somogyi Apprenticeship that Ervin offers to exceptionally talented young luthiers, many of whom we represent, and it's perhaps most fitting that the following kind words were sent to us by a number of Ervin's apprentices upon hearing the news that Ervin was joining our roster:

"Anyone at all involved in the world of handmade acoustic guitars is indebted to Ervin Somogyi. It is thanks to his visionary artistry that the field is at the high level that it is today." - Leonardo Buendia

“Ervin’s legacy is remarkable and the echoes of his influence are plain to see. To me he is the father of modern lutherie and I am massively grateful not only for how he has shaped me as a craftsman but as a person.” - Tom Sands

“I have big respect for Ervin as my mentor. I wouldn’t be the same luthier without the experience gained in my apprenticeship with him. He is a great luthier and artist, he keeps on inspiring me in many ways." - Michihiro Matsuda

“Few people have had the impact on modern lutherie as much as Ervin Somogyi. He has taken a field that, in the late 1960s, believed that the Martin style of building was the best path forward, and began to look at building techniques and concepts through a new lease. The result was decades of innovation and new ideas that improved playability, response, and the overall guitar experience.” - Jason Kostal

“He added a new sense of line and design to the mix and is one of a handful of people that began to look at the guitar as a beautiful piece of functional art. His greatest gift has been his desire to give back to the world by teaching others and sharing his ideas and beliefs through writings and presentations. His work is part of the foundation of modern built guitars, and his concepts and design ideas, which we see in so many modern guitars, are his legacy that will remain for years to come. Owning a Somogyi is about enjoying a heirloom quality art piece that informs us about our past while showing us where we are heading in the future.” - Jason Kostal

Both Ervin and I wanted to start this relationship off with a bang in true TNAG style by bringing not one, but two absolutely staggering instruments into the showroom, which we will be unveiling to the public very soon...

In the meantime, over the course of the next few weeks, we will be featuring Ervin as a guest blogger in our all-new TNAG Notes section on our newsletter, so watch this space...So from all of us here Ervin welcome to 'The NAG'. it is going to be one hell of a ride...

To register to receive priority information on our incoming Somogyi Guitars please submit your details here: http://eepurl.com/gliY5T
Old 03-20-2019, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

It will be fun to stagger along as this unfolds! For me personally, I found Ervin's article on how to listen deeply to acoustic guitar sound so helpful. Congratulations and I look forward to his contributions.

Best,
Jayne
Old 03-20-2019, 10:00 PM

I have played and owned the works of many of the greatest luthiers of this golden age, and the best one for fingerstyle that i have ever played is still my ervin somogyi modified dreadnought.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

Smile Woohoo

Really looking forward to following this!

Carry on and have FUN

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 03-21-2019, 04:23 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Quite momentous! Congrats to all. I'm sure will amaze with his guitars and tickle with his humor for a long time to come.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
It will be fun to stagger along as this unfolds! For me personally, I found Ervin's article on how to listen deeply to acoustic guitar sound so helpful. Congratulations and I look forward to his contributions.

Best,
Jayne
Jayne,

Please point us mere mortals towards that article if possible. Thanks!

Congrats TNAG!

Bob
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 03-21-2019, 05:56 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
Jayne,

Congrats TNAG!

Bob
https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...c_Guitar_Sound

Here's the "meat" of the article.....after all my "auditioning" of different brands/builders/body sizes/wood combinations, it's pretty much what I've always done - playing in a very quiet room about a couple of feet from a wall initially, then turning and playing to open air.

Here’s a checklist for what you can usefully listen for in a six-note chord. If you can’t discriminate between some of these criteria, the solution is to learn how to listen. Like playing, this takes practice. A session includes listening for:

• Dynamics: Does the guitar have a wide dynamic range? Will it produce different sounds when you play very softly, softly, medium, and hard?
• Duration: Most chords will last six to 12 seconds. This gives you a sense of systemic sustain and also of the sound’s quality—whether it’s warm, sweet, tinny, rich, lively, fundamental, shallow, breathy, open, held back, or is rich in overtones. You’ll discover whether you have to push the guitar or if it speaks easily.
• Separation: Are you able to hear each note? Or is the sound fuzzy or cloudy and lacking focus?
• Velocity: Does the chord emerge from the guitar quickly or slowly?
• Timbral balance: Is the guitar bass heavy, treble heavy, or well balanced? And regardless of the balance, does the treble or bass die down first, leaving the other to carry on by itself?
• String-to-string response: Is the strength and presence of each note even?
• Projection: Does the guitar sound best when close up or from across the room? (You’ll need a playing/listening partner to explore this.) Also, does it sound different depending on whether you’re listening from in front or from the side?
• Intonation: Does the guitar really play in tune?

Last edited by fitness1; 03-21-2019 at 06:04 AM.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
Jayne,

Congrats TNAG!

Bob
So sorry as I meant to add it and got caught up in my work day. Here it is:

https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...c_Guitar_Sound

Oops - missed that fitness beat me to it! (Insert red-faced emoticon here.)

Best,
Jayne
Old 03-21-2019, 08:16 AM

A friend owns an art gallery in our small, Eastern Shore of MD town and she is currently showing work by David Marks, a potter. Coincidentally, 3 days ago he gave her a copy of a very well-done picture book he is in, she opened it and asked if he had another copy for a friend who makes guitars. He gave her one and she gave it to me and it is "The Invisible Line: When Craft Becomes Art". There are 3 artist in the book who do not make guitars, but there are 4 that do - Michihiro Matsuda, Tom Ribbecke, Larry Robinson, and Ervin Somogyi.

The photos of Simogyi's work are astounding. How do you assemble a side out of hundreds of pieces and then bend it? How do you get fits so tight that they are perfect, time and time again? How do you carve tiny patterns in a top without making a mistake?

Beautiful stuff

Ed
Old 03-21-2019, 08:17 AM

Congratulations TNAG!!!! This is so cool!

And thanks for the link to Ervin's article- very helpful! I've always done something like this, but more by intuition. And my intuition isn't bad.... My first exposure to great, luthier built instruments was at Woodstock about 5 or 6 years ago. And Julian Gaffney was there with one of his first guitars- a gorgeous OM. He had just finished up apprenticing with Ervin. The tone from that guitar was something! I called my husband from the parking lot and told him that this young guy could build and I could buy this guitar and it would be worth something some day. He said no. Instead he bought me Ervin's two volume set on guitar building for Christmas. But I was right!!! Currently Julian's build price is n almost $4000 more than what he was selling that guitar for at Woodstock. Every once in a while I remind my usually supportive husband

I can't imagine anything better than playing one of Ervin's guitars!

beth
Old 03-21-2019, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Great checklist, thanks for sharing!
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 03-25-2019, 03:35 AM
The North American Guitar - Richard Poll The North American Guitar - Richard Poll is offline
AGF Sponsor

Thank you to all for your kind words and support, and to Jayne for digging out the PG article. We’ll have a number of guest blogs from the man himself over the coming weeks.

Our first guitar from Ervin has now arrived, and I have to say that it was the most emotional experience I’ve ever had picking up a guitar for the first time.

Those who signed up for priority information will receive an email shortly before we unleash this astonishing instrument on the world!
Old 03-26-2019, 12:39 PM

I can't find a font that reflects how excited this makes me.

Current:
Matsuda M1 Cutaway, Braz/Ital (2009)

Previous:
Collings 0002H, IR/Sit (2012)
Collings 0002EC, IR/Ger (2000)
Taylor 324ce L10, Koa/Koa (2005)
Old 03-29-2019, 03:41 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Our First Somogyi Arrives!

Ladies and gentlemen, our first Somogyi has arrived! More on this stunning instrument later today, but in the meantime...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
ervin somogyi, somogyi, somogyi guitar, somogyi guitars, the north american guitar