The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-03-2023, 09:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abn556 View Post
I don’t listen to anything else CNN says. I’m not likely to take guitar advice from them - especially from a paid for promotional piece.

+
News is consumer driven. Do you think ANY sponsored piece at any for-profit newspaper is not promotional? No matter your politics, drinking kool aid hook line and sinker from any site is never a good idea. Shunning a major source of news entirely is equally silly.

I love talking about this stuff, but don’t the guitar forum moderators want us to talk guitars? CNN really isn’t that triggering.
Old 06-03-2023, 11:26 PM

If I had to start over, I'd roll with a solid-top Yamaha. Those sound really good and don't break the bank. The FG830 has a solid Spruce top and rolls in at $339 brand new. I have an all-solid body Eastman saved in my browsing that is under $450 that is a B-stock model. I don't need it....but wow that is surely tempting.
Old 06-04-2023, 07:34 AM
Guest 61722

I looked at this article, and even though it's a puff piece for Fender, there's some good points. I especially like the emphasis on the importance of how the guitar feels. #1 criteria for me. And a good return policy.

Even though I am generally pretty careful when I buy, doing my three visit minimum and buying in person, what you are really deciding at the store or when you buy online is if it's worth bringing it home for further assessment.

You can't really "know" a guitar (in the biblical sense) until you get it home. You have to hear how it sounds in your environment and play it for a while. My new guitar is opening up every day. It's like a flower blossoming in time lapse photography. Every night, I go to sleep, and every morning I wake up and it sounds and feels even better. I do not know what's happening to it in the wee small hours, but I like it! I keep thinking what is this going to sound like in a month, in a year, in ten years???

I can see where the same thing could happen, only the guitar doesn't change for the better. It might change for the worse. With sufficient previous playing experience, you could probably predict which way it's gonna go but until you get it home and live with it, you can't be sure. And if that does happen, you want to be able to take it back and get your money back. No one should be playing a guitar that makes them miserable. Life. is. too. short.

Meanwhile, I have not played my guitar yet today, but I. can't. wait.
Old 06-04-2023, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abn556 View Post
I don’t listen to anything else CNN says. I’m not likely to take guitar advice from them - especially from a paid for promotional piece.

+
My feelings exactly!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion