The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-03-2023, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo58 View Post
You could also discuss inspiration. Charlie Christian inspired countless players - including guys such as T-Bone Walker, Wes Montgomery, and Barney Kessel. T-Bone inspired BB and Chuck Berry. Chuck inspired everybody, whether they know it or not. George Harrison inspired thousands to pick up the guitar.

I love Mark's playing. Sultans is one of the few songs I remember exactly when and where I heard it the first time. I thought it was a new Dylan song (except it was far too well-produced to be a Dylan song). When the announcer on WEBN said who it was, I got in the car immediately and drove to Dingleberry’s and bought it. His playing was so fresh and different from everybody else on the radio. I remember what a huge effect that record had on players. So Mark was influential too. Though I never liked his Les Paul tone.
I remember the exact stop light I was at the first time I heard "Sultans of Swing." What a fantastic piece of work.

I can see why you didn't care for his Les Paul tone, but for some reason, that sound grabbed me, too. The melody lines in "Brothers in Arms" are so beautiful. The overdriven tone really fits in just right to my ears.

- Glenn
Old 06-03-2023, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Somewhere in 1978-79, when the aircraft carrier USS Ranger visited Subic Bay, Philippines, everyone in my division bought killer stereos at the Navy Exchange (far cheaper there, and we'd all been saving money at sea). Back out on mission, we cranked those stereos every single night after flight ops. Problem is, very few actually bought albums, so Chuck Mangione, Rickie Lee Jones and Dire Straits were constant.

Biggest takeaway from that incessant indoctrination was Mark Knopfler's precise and wonderfully soulful playing. 45 years hence, he remains a huge favorite. Besides his superb songwriting, I still marvel at his surgical, stinging attack - without a pick. Seems almost superhuman.

Some here may recall that ACDC's (last) singer had a TV show for awhile, Brian Johnson: A Life on the Road (circa 2017 or so). He had fun revisiting the good ol' days with other icons (Walsh, Fleetwood, Daltrey, Plant), but the episode where he and Mark Knopfler riffed on their North East England roots was pure gold. Worth digging up if you can find it. Two very likeable chaps who've been there and done that.

Last edited by tinnitus; 06-03-2023 at 05:15 PM.
Old 06-03-2023, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo58 View Post
You could also discuss inspiration. Charlie Christian inspired countless players - including guys such as T-Bone Walker, Wes Montgomery, and Barney Kessel. T-Bone inspired BB and Chuck Berry. Chuck inspired everybody, whether they know it or not. George Harrison inspired thousands to pick up the guitar.

I love Mark's playing. Sultans is one of the few songs I remember exactly when and where I heard it the first time. I thought it was a new Dylan song (except it was far too well-produced to be a Dylan song). When the announcer on WEBN said who it was, I got in the car immediately and drove to Dingleberry’s and bought it. His playing was so fresh and different from everybody else on the radio. I remember what a huge effect that record had on players. So Mark was influential too. Though I never liked his Les Paul tone.
WEBN "The lunatic fringe of American FM" Rrrrrribit.Dingelberry's.fond memories of the 70's in Ohio. nice to hear it again
Old 06-03-2023, 03:52 PM

I love Mark's playing... but will discard any list which has Marc Ribot below him.
Old 06-03-2023, 04:39 PM

My Wife and I were in Ft Atkinson, WI one weekend staying at an Air BnB. It was maybe 5 degrees with a brutal wind. We walked 2 blocks to the Cafe Carpe and was treated to one of the best evenings of our lives. Adrian Legg was playing for less than 25 people in this tiny cafe. We listened, talked to and drank tea with him for 2 hours. At that time, he was the finest guitar player on earth.

1997 Tacoma PM20
1998 Tacoma CC10
2001 Tacoma C5C
2004 Tacoma C1C
2004 Tacoma EMM30 "Forum Guitar"
Old 06-03-2023, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
…I can’t concur….when a player reaches Knopflers level….and yes many other guitarists have, there is no such thing as “playing rings around them”…..and I don’t believe it’s entirely subjective……what one prefers does not decide innate talent or level of proficiency….as far as testimonials go…as defined by body of work and other musicians that have chosen to collaborate with him …..MK is in rarified air…
It seems you are ignoring Jeff Baxter’s credentials and who has played with and for altogether, not to mention the recordings his been on d his creativity.
Your opinion is your opinion and you are entitled to it. I still think he can play rings around him …
…Baxter’s versatility is unquestionable.
BTW, I think Knopfler is great as well.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-03-2023, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
It seems you are ignoring Jeff Baxter’s credentials and who has played with and for altogether, not to mention the recordings his been on d his creativity.
Your opinion is your opinion and you are entitled to it. I still think he can play rings around him …
…Baxter’s versatility is unquestionable.
BTW, I think Knopfler is great as well.
Perhaps you have misinterpreted my post…

I never even mentioned Jeff Baxter much less compared him to anybody….I have no bones to pick with anybody….you’re the one who started making comparisons not me….I merely stated that personal preference doesn’t determine a players overall ability….that’s not an opinion it’s a fact….i pointed to MK’s credentials as a reason he is generally held in high regard…..

….my point is that great players who have done as well as Knopfler and Baxter and Clapton and Hendrix and many many others are above comparison…..there is no playing rings around them….yes that is an opinion but also a reference to their greatness….
Old 06-04-2023, 02:18 AM

Guitarists are a bit odd.
You never hear arguments about who is a better piano player? Elton John or Billy Joel, maybe Jerry Lee Lewis?

One of my favourite electric players is Peter Green. He was always very honest about his limited 'technical' abilities, yet was lauded by his contemporaries.

Just enjoy what you like.
Old 06-04-2023, 06:43 AM

It appears from all these great comments that the lists of "best or greatest" guitarist should be ignored.

All that really matters is "who are your favorite guitaists".
Old 06-04-2023, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mds53 View Post
It appears from all these great comments that the lists of "best or greatest" guitarist should be ignored.

All that really matters is "who are your favorite guitaists".
Exactly so….had you titled your thread “Mark Knopfler Appreciation” and invited people to share their thoughts it would likely have been more about him and less about where people rank him……my list of favorite guitar players is crazy long and I don’t know how I could possibly rank them because they’re all so different…..
Old 06-04-2023, 01:31 PM

I'm also not into lists reflecting what other people like or don't. I'm another one who can remember exactly where and when I first heard Sultans of Swing. I was in high school, working as a dishwasher in a restaurant.

I heard that song and was blown away by the sheer coolness of it. Not like the flashy spandex hair bands, not like the formulaic pop, not punk or new wave entirely...

This began my long appreciation for Mark Knopfler. I bought every album I could find that he was on, including the soundtracks for the films he's scored. He's a fantastic songwriter, lyricist and great player. I like his singing, too, as it fits his songs so well.
Old 06-04-2023, 02:20 PM

There a zillion fabulous guitar players on record going back over 100 years. I wouldn’t be able to agree to a top 10 or 50 list without making some tight qualifications and definitions. (And probably not even then!)

I do value originality over speed or chops. I also tend to prefer great arrangements over prowess in improvisation, although there are exceptions to this.

Also I don’t only care about “lead” or solos. Rhythm playing and fills can be even more important.

Point being, these kinds of criteria matter a lot in making such lists, and understandably, not everyone would agree on them.
Old 06-04-2023, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Beamish View Post
There a zillion fabulous guitar players on record going back over 100 years. I wouldn’t be able to agree to a top 10 or 50 list without making some tight qualifications and definitions. (And probably not even then!)

I do value originality over speed or chops. I also tend to prefer great arrangements over prowess in improvisation, although there are exceptions to this.

Also I don’t only care about “lead” or solos. Rhythm playing and fills can be even more important.

Point being, these kinds of criteria matter a lot in making such lists, and understandably, not everyone would agree on them.
I totally agree. The greatest percentage of those zillion are little known or complete unknowns.
I also agree with you on arrangements and I would add creativity to that qualification.
Here’s an example. I admire this more than a lot of the shredding stuff.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-04-2023, 05:47 PM

There is no “best”. Only “favorite”. Any list with “best” in the title is just dumb and only good for laughing at.
Old 06-05-2023, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

Well it's all subjective including the phrase "Best guitar solo ". But can definitely say "I can only wish "

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic