The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-20-2019, 02:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Burns View Post
Silly Moustache , I know this is a silly thing to say - But
any way to hold this off and buy what you really want ?
Eastmans are not bad , but your a great guitarist and would the eastman really
be a keeper ?
Ive been their , seems like a temporary guitar and your more of a
pro quality keeper kind of guy !
(Hope i didnt over step myself )

From my own experience , It's better off waiting and keeping what i have until
a great quality guitar comes my way -Id be very happy with
Hi Tony, firstly thanks for your very kind words - I'm not sure I live up to your description but it is appreciated.

I had been thinking of another Collings - a 002h would be ideal, but a used one (in good condition) would still be IRO £3000, and, of course people don't seem to be selling them.

I don't have that degree of disposable now.

The 00 or p would be just a late night noodling guitar - too small for performance.

Huh, just listening to Sunday morning radio, and a chap is recommending that us "old folks" work to spend all our money before we die! I wonder if he's really thought that out!
Old 10-20-2019, 03:36 AM
Charter Member

Why not talk to the guys at Brook Guitars in Devon? They build some nice guitars in a small workshop and, for hand-built instruments, they aren’t bank-breakers. The have several parlour models, and I believe they will make a neck to your own size-specs.

https://www.brookguitars.com/guitars/guitars.html

Just my two-penn’orth!

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 10-20-2019, 03:36 AM

Huh, just listening to Sunday morning radio, and a chap is recommending that us "old folks" work to spend all our money before we die! I wonder if he's really thought that out!

He might have a point Andy, I'm not far off your age and I'm out in Vietnam at the moment playing a cheap Recording King OM and enjoying the warmth and the weather. Of course I would rather be playing the high quality guitars I have at home, but the experience of travelling the world more than makes up for it.
Old 10-20-2019, 04:01 AM
Charter Member

I've owned two E10Ps, and have played a couple of E20Ps.

These little guitars have a great big chunky neck, bigger than those on the 00s. I love them, and should have kept that first E10p.

I'm keeping an eye out now for an E20P, hope one shows up locally.

These are really good guitars in all respects. If you are looking for a "late night noodler" at a very reasonable price, you can't go wrong with an Eastman parlor. Especially if you like a big fat neck.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

I forgot to mention that both of the E10Ps I owned were sunburst. And the couple of 20s I played were too.

Eastman does an outstanding sunburst. If I buy either a 20 or another 10, it has to be a sunburst.

Really pretty.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
I've owned two E10Ps, and have played a couple of E20Ps.

These little guitars have a great big chunky neck, bigger than those on the 00s. I love them, and should have kept that first E10p.

I'm keeping an eye out now for an E20P, hope one shows up locally.

These are really good guitars in all respects. If you are looking for a "late night noodler" at a very reasonable price, you can't go wrong with an Eastman parlor. Especially if you like a big fat neck.
Hi Kenl, thanks for this, and yes, I'm quite partial to 'bursts too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DS1-ASB.jpg (20.9 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg SCGC- RS.jpg (22.2 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg WL-12.jpg (22.1 KB, 215 views)
Old 10-20-2019, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Kindnes View Post

He might have a point Andy, I'm not far off your age and I'm out in Vietnam at the moment playing a cheap Recording King OM and enjoying the warmth and the weather. Of course I would rather be playing the high quality guitars I have at home, but the experience of travelling the world more than makes up for it.
Hi Malcolm, I'm jealous! Sadly, my travelling days are done due to my health issues and difficulty eating/drinking.
I remember Billy Connolly's wife saying that he once said to her "I wish we knew when we were going to die, then maybe we could spend more!"

Ironically, when you DO know - it's probably too late to bother about spending!
Old 10-20-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi Malcolm, I'm jealous! Sadly, my travelling days are done due to my health issues and difficulty eating/drinking.
I remember Billy Connolly's wife saying that he once said to her "I wish we knew when we were going to die, then maybe we could spend more!"

Ironically, when you DO know - it's probably too late to bother about spending!
Hi Andy, I'm very sorry your health is bad, you're right we never know how long we've got, that's why I'm trying to grab a few experiences while I still can.
Interestingly, I know a man who budgeted carefully so that he could live comfortably to a certain age. He is now approaching that age and he is in very good health, so he worries that his money will run out before he does. The only answer is as the old song says "one day at a time". 😀
Old 10-21-2019, 05:17 AM

I've played both the rosewood and mahogany versions of the Eastman EP parlor. A local shop had one of each, so I was able to compare them back-to-back. I preferred the mahogany one by quite a stretch—it was lighter in weight and more balanced. The rosewood model was bass heavy and a bit harsh in the trebles. This was a small sample size of course. The nut was 1-13/16" but felt narrower with the shorter scale. Punchy, fun little guitars to play.

I have not played the OO model.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Kindnes View Post
Hi Andy, I'm very sorry your health is bad, you're right we never know how long we've got, that's why I'm trying to grab a few experiences while I still can.
Interestingly, I know a man who budgeted carefully so that he could live comfortably to a certain age. He is now approaching that age and he is in very good health, so he worries that his money will run out before he does. The only answer is as the old song says "one day at a time". 😀
Ah, Angst, Ennui, or Weltsmerz - that's the question!
Old 10-21-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
Why not talk to the guys at Brook Guitars in Devon? They build some nice guitars in a small workshop and, for hand-built instruments, they aren’t bank-breakers. The have several parlour models, and I believe they will make a neck to your own size-specs.

https://www.brookguitars.com/guitars/guitars.html

Just my two-penn’orth!
Nice guitars but I had to wait over 9 months for my Creedy Custom. Then, of course, there's the risk of the finished article not being exactly what you thought it was going to be, as I discovered to my considerable cost! No more custom builds for me.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
Whatever you do, I'd look at OM's seriously before I got a 00 of any kind. I had a custom Martin 0028vs made for me and I ended up giving it to my son. I have owned a lot of guitars in my life and a lot of different body shapes, and I have come back to the OM as the ideal and most versatile body shape. I prefer them in rosewood with 1 3/4 inch nuts. I don't know if Eastman makes one, but if they do, it will be probably be pretty good, IMHO.
Its post like this that send me back into the GAS. I got the perfect 000 and am content then somebody like you post and I'm back on the need that OM in rosewood. Thanks!
Old 10-21-2019, 03:10 PM

To your OP, I've played an E10-00 that was, simply put, one of the top three loudest and most responsive guitars I've ever played. Had it not been for a kinda chunky neck, I would have owned it at pretty much any price. Really a great guitar.

After going through a couple different Eastman models I currently play an E20-OM. Similar qualities with a better neck and a little broader tonal range. It is, as has been noted above, like most of their RW models a touch heavy, but comparable to the Martin OM-21 that it replaced.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamincolor View Post
I've played both the rosewood and mahogany versions of the Eastman EP parlor... The rosewood model was bass heavy and a bit harsh in the trebles...
I have the rosewood parlor, and that's what I like about it. When played in rotation with my other two rosewoods, a Martin D-35 and Eastman E20-OM, the Eastman E20-P rosewood parlor produces their volume when played hard with thumb or flat pick. Not the same quality or depth of sound, but the bass is strong, resonant, clean and pleasing.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Nice guitars but I had to wait over 9 months for my Creedy Custom. Then, of course, there's the risk of the finished article not being exactly what you thought it was going to be, as I discovered to my considerable cost! No more custom builds for me.
This is very wise advice, custom builds can be very tricky and huge loss makers if you want to sell on.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion