The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-19-2024, 02:49 PM

Default DI Box

So I have an acoustic amp and it has reverb and chorus and and EQ. Are there benefits to a DI box? I am pretty new to playing amplified.

Thanks.
Old 02-19-2024, 03:01 PM

If your acoustic amp has a Direct Out (XLR male jack on the backside of your amp), you don't need a DI box. DI boxes are made for long cable runs from stage to mixing desks, they are not dedicated for improving sound (although some do) . If your amp does not offer Direct Out, you want to plug in a Direct Box and split the signal there: One line (XLR) to the desk, one line to your amp.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 02-19-2024, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskyman View Post
So I have an acoustic amp and it has reverb and chorus and and EQ. Are there benefits to a DI box? I am pretty new to playing amplified.

Thanks.
If you're happy with the sound you are getting then no, you don't really need anything.

There is a terminology problem on AGF, and it's with "DI box." The purpose of a Direct Injection, or DI, box is to convert an unbalanced input to a balanced, low impedance output so that it can run over a significantly longer distance without degrading the tone and with the benefit of noise immunity.

That said.... (deep breath, knowing the kind of feedback this might receive)

I'm increasingly seeing "DI" used to refer to a box that contains a preamp, EQ controls, perhaps a tuner, maybe a boost and / or mute switch, and quite possibly an actual DI circuit. And that's what I'm assuming you are referring to.

If you're actually asking about a DI box, then the answer would be that if you want to use a cable more than, say, 25 feet then yes, you should probably consider one.

But since you mention effects and EQ, I don't think this is what you are meaning. 🙂
Old 02-19-2024, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin_Mac View Post
If you're happy with the sound you are getting then no, you don't really need anything.

There is a terminology problem on AGF, and it's with "DI box." The purpose of a Direct Injection, or DI, box is to convert an unbalanced input to a balanced, low impedance output so that it can run over a significantly longer distance without degrading the tone and with the benefit of noise immunity.

That said.... (deep breath, knowing the kind of feedback this might receive)

I'm increasingly seeing "DI" used to refer to a box that contains a preamp, EQ controls, perhaps a tuner, maybe a boost and / or mute switch, and quite possibly an actual DI circuit. And that's what I'm assuming you are referring to.

If you're actually asking about a DI box, then the answer would be that if you want to use a cable more than, say, 25 feet then yes, you should probably consider one.

But since you mention effects and EQ, I don't think this is what you are meaning. 🙂
You are correct. This is about a unit with some different acoustic style, some effects and eq. I probably should have not used the term DI as this is a pre-amp with some effects. So Ive learned something already.

There is no long cable running going on here.

Thanks.
Old 02-19-2024, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman68 View Post
If your acoustic amp has a Direct Out (XLR male jack on the backside of your amp), you don't need a DI box. DI boxes are made for long cable runs from stage to mixing desks, they are not dedicated for improving sound (although some do) . If your amp does not offer Direct Out, you want to plug in a Direct Box and split the signal there: One line (XLR) to the desk, one line to your amp.
Thanks. I think I should have used the term pre-amp and not DI as now I know what a DI box is really for.

Thanks.
Old 02-19-2024, 05:19 PM

Whats the amp you have?
Old 02-19-2024, 05:25 PM

The first step is to plug the guitar straight into the amp without a DI and see how it sounds. It should work just fine. You might (might) want a gadget for going into a PA, but it's unlikely that you will if you're just going into a guitar amp.

So have you done that yet? How did it sound? I did it for years without no problems and with no complaints from band members. I've done it at a lot of open mics with PAs, too, and the hosts pefer it that way. Less set-up time. Just plug and play.

If you've tried plugging straight into the amp and it did sound bad, then yes, you mignt benefit from a boost. So: What kind?

The conventional wisdom: If your pickup is passive, get an active preamp. If your pickup is active, get a passive DI. Whether it's an active pickup or active preamp, the result is a boosted signal:

- Passive pickup (has no battery) > active preamp (powered) > amp

- Active pickup (has a battery) > passive DI (not powered) > amp

But again, make sure the signal needs boosting before wasting money on a gadget. Most acoustics plugged into guitar amps don't need it.

--------

PS - The amp's onboard effects have no bearing on whether you need a DI or preamp. Those are added after the amp has already received the pickup's signal.

Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 02-19-2024 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-19-2024, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribedescribe View Post
Whats the amp you have?
Boss Acoustic Singer.
Old 02-19-2024, 07:45 PM

If your acoustic amp has a high impedance input(s) (usually designated HI Z) you can plug a passive piezoelectric pickup right in.

My Carvin AG300 has 2 HI Z inputs. I can plug any of my passive piezo equipped instruments right in and it sounds no different if I use my Redeye, K&K or other preamp.

Last edited by Mandobart; 02-19-2024 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-19-2024, 07:46 PM

I recently posted about this unit and how it makes my acoustic/electric guitars sound better when played through a PA.
It also works the same when I use my amp at home.
This is what I am talking about.

This is the one that I picked. The Behringer AD121 V Tone Acoustic Driver Pedal.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...river-di-pedal

I plug the guitar's 1/4" plug into the unit and then run an XLR out to the PA.
Old 02-20-2024, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Boss Acoustic Singer.
Just in case the thread hasn't already made this clear, with that amp you do not need a DI or a preamp, either going into the amp's inputs or from the outputs on the back (should you need to send a signal to a PA system, for example). The amp already has all the features you would get in an "acoustic guitar preamp" unit (and more than most, actually). It has a high z input, a preamp, EQ, feedback control, phantom power for a condenser mic, effects (including a looper and a harmonizer), etc. It lets you mix your guitar and vocals for balance, and it provides a flexible pair of DI outs in the back (along with a few other ways of sending signals to other devices). It's designed to be an all-in-one package for an acoustic guitar/vocals performer, and it pretty much covers the bases. If you want to add more effects, get some pedals or a multi-effects unit and put that in front.

L.
Old 02-20-2024, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
Just in case the thread hasn't already made this clear, with that amp you do not need a DI or a preamp, either going into the amp's inputs or from the outputs on the back (should you need to send a signal to a PA system, for example). The amp already has all the features you would get in an "acoustic guitar preamp" unit (and more than most, actually). It has a high z input, a preamp, EQ, feedback control, phantom power for a condenser mic, effects (including a looper and a harmonizer), etc. It lets you mix your guitar and vocals for balance, and it provides a flexible pair of DI outs in the back (along with a few other ways of sending signals to other devices). It's designed to be an all-in-one package for an acoustic guitar/vocals performer, and it pretty much covers the bases. If you want to add more effects, get some pedals or a multi-effects unit and put that in front.

L.
I concur with this assessment.
Old 02-20-2024, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
Just in case the thread hasn't already made this clear, with that amp you do not need a DI or a preamp . . .
Yup. I think we all made it clear. But underlining it is a good idea!

Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 02-20-2024 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-20-2024, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Thanks. I think I should have used the term pre-amp . . . .
And guitar amps have preamps built in. So you don't have to buy a second one.

Whether you want to a different story. Some people are tone connoisseurs. Gear geeks and early adopters get a kick out of new gadgetry. Performers often want more control when someone else in running the mixer.

I'm happy if I can be heard, but others want Spinal Tap's proverbial beyond-beyond.

What happened when you tried plugging straight into the amp? If you liked the sound, mission accomplished. If you didn't, what was wrong with it?

Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 02-20-2024 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-20-2024, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

Occam's razor would state that the answer that involves the purchase of more guitar-related gadgets, is the correct one. If they work, great. If not, they can sit on a shelf next to all the other failed solutions to just not practicing enough in the first place.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification