The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-18-2012, 08:33 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default K&K XLR Preamp with Baggs M1 Soundhole PU

I am selling a K&K Pure XLR preamp, and another member asked me whether it would work with a Baggs M1 Soundhole PU, and I am not sure of the answer. If anyone knows the answer could you please post or pm me. Thanks.
Clifford
Old 04-18-2012, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Cross View Post
I am selling a K&K Pure XLR preamp, and another member asked me whether it would work with a Baggs M1 Soundhole PU, and I am not sure of the answer. If anyone knows the answer could you please post or pm me. Thanks.
Clifford
Hi SC...
If they are considering a purchase, there are better choices with more control over the tone, and more output choices for same or less money.

The XLR, of course, will work. It's a preamp.

Leaving out the Aura-boxes, most other pickups will work with most preamps. Auras mostly work with under saddle.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-18-2012, 09:15 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks, Larry. I hope this will help my potential buyer.
Clifford
Old 04-20-2012, 05:26 AM

I read this on Maury's Music site..................................

"Taking your K&K equipped Martin to an open mic? Now you can tell the soundman you have your own direct box. No more need to inject your K&K pickup into a Fishman or LR Baggs DI . Those boxes are great for those brands of pickups, but there's an impedance mismatch when running a K&K pickup through them, and it's impossible to get the transparent K&K tone (In all fairness, the K&K pre doesn't work well with Fishman & Baggs pickups either). I know - I've tried many times, at gigs and here at the store. The other boxes muddy up the signal and impart a strange EQ curve and gain stage, giving everything a fuzzy tone. The K&K Pure XLR Preamp matches up perfectly with the K&K Pure Western, and the result is microphone-like clarity, with tons of headroom and the most natural sound you can get. "

YouTube: http://www.YouTube.com/wfbrown1234
Old 04-20-2012, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrown View Post
I read this on Maury's Music site..................................

"Taking your K&K equipped Martin to an open mic? Now you can tell the soundman you have your own direct box. No more need to inject your K&K pickup into a Fishman or LR Baggs DI . Those boxes are great for those brands of pickups, but there's an impedance mismatch when running a K&K pickup through them, and it's impossible to get the transparent K&K tone (In all fairness, the K&K pre doesn't work well with Fishman & Baggs pickups either). I know - I've tried many times, at gigs and here at the store. The other boxes muddy up the signal and impart a strange EQ curve and gain stage, giving everything a fuzzy tone. The K&K Pure XLR Preamp matches up perfectly with the K&K Pure Western, and the result is microphone-like clarity, with tons of headroom and the most natural sound you can get. "
Hi bb...

You know, there is no details of his system listed here for Maury's music, but in typical PA systems (quite a variety of them), we've used ParaDI, UltraPDI, K&K, DTAR, Fishman Platinum, & Raven preamps interchangeably with guitars which are equipped with under saddle, magnetic, and K&K pickups (and a few iBeams still kicking around our community) and we have not heard any of the single source ones which make any difference with any style pickup.

Not sure how to account for MMusic's differences...and we certainly have never encountered fuzzy tone no matter what preamp we've run K&Ks through.

And we have run plenty of under saddles through the K&K preamps too without issue...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-20-2012, 06:05 PM

I was looking at some of these combos and good to know that there should not be compatability issues. Perhaps it's more of a sales gimmick, trying to get folks to buy all one brand.

I was the potential buyer of the K&K XLR above, but was a bit too slow to act

I have a Baggs M1 passive magnetic soundhole pick-up in my Collings dread and need a preamp. I'm thinking of adding a SBT like the JJB. I need a two channel preamp. The Scarlett 2i2 looks adequate as long as it can handle two SDC's, a SDC mic and a pickup, or any combo of two sources and/or mics. Just for solo guitar - no vocals and nothing loud.

YouTube: http://www.YouTube.com/wfbrown1234

Last edited by bbrown; 04-20-2012 at 06:12 PM. Reason: added

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification