The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-18-2024, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

I like the tone of Trance Amulet M-VT and Dazzo SBT systems.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 02-18-2024, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauland View Post
Still not decided which one, I find it very difficult and so much information. The most reliable info seems to come from AaronShort on YouTube.

So far, I have some conclusions of what I'm considering, after also using this page to compare:
https://dougyoungguitar.com/pickuptests/

Schatten: They sell on Thoman, makes it easier to buy (live in Spain) and the install seems a lot easier compared to the rest, also if I don't like it, it looks easy to remove. (I can hear differences with the K&K but not sure if it's better or not, just different) also it's more expensive than the K&K.

K&K: I like the idea that if I decide I could buy separately the microphone and include it later, also that it has so many positive reviews on Thoman. I find interesting that it's from 2015, surely tech must have evolved since then.

L.R Bags HIFI: I don't notice that much difference with the K&K, there is a tone know which seems that if not over 75% it doesn't sound all that well (as if boomy), and once over that amount to me it sounds more similar to the K&K. So, not sure on this one, probably it's really good but I can't tell that much diference, at least from YouTube videos. Good thing it seems easy to install.

JJB: I live in Spain and there doesn't seem to be a retailer in Europe which sells them, they would be shipped from the US, I don't mind paying extra for the shipping costs, but if I would like to return it makes things a little more difficult.

Dazzo: Same as with the JJB, can't find retailers in Europe. Also, I don't see that many differences in sound when comparing on the site or by doing comparisons on YouTube.

(If there would be noticeable differences, I would go for either one of them JJB/Dazzo and wait for it to ship from the US, but from the comparisons I really can't tell, they probably sound different but from YouTube videos to me it's hard to tell)

I've started to consider also the Fishman Rare Earth Blend. It would be easy to install and remove, also if I wouldn't like it, I can easily return it or sell it second hand. I understand that with the other picks I can't do this as they stick with glue. Would there be a noticeable diference with any of the SBT in sound quality?

JourneyTek: I might just go for the cheapest, it's also on Thoman, so would make the purchase easier for me and if I mess up the install it's not that pricey.

Anyway, so many options, it's difficult to decide.
Your idea of installing a second mono jack is exactly what John Leventhal does, as per the video interview I posted. You would be in good company.

As per installing two pickups with a TRS jack, this will allow you to select either of them with a standard guitar cable. Wire your preferred source to the tip connection and you can use that one by inserting your plug in all the way.

The secondary pickup can be accessed by plugging a standard cable in part way, so the tip of the plug stops at the ring connection of the TRS jack. This works fine for most jacks; occasionally they won't retain the plug as firmly. Unless you're dancing around a bunch it works fine.

You can, of course, use a TRS cable, but it's not strictly necessary.
Old 02-18-2024, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Hi,

I’d like to install a pickup on my ‘Furch Vintage 3 OM-SR’ and have been searching for info on pickups for several months.

I think I’ve settled that I’d like a passive ‘soundboard transducer’ as they seem the least invasive (but mostly they all sound very similar). I think I also like the idea to be able to externalise the aftersound processing: pre-amp, or maybe a IR pedal, something less inside the guitar. (I mostly play at home and would to be able to play though an amp, with some reverb etc)

The problem is that there are so many options, as soon as I decide for one, then there seems to be the best one around the corner, as everybody I guess I’m looking for the most natural sounding one, here are the ones I’ve considered:

-K&K mini (Most used of all, seems like the reference, but it’s from 2015, surely tech has evolved since then?)

-Schatten HFN (Aaron short on YouTube seemed to like this one, that is a good reference [emoji4] )

-Journey Tek (There are some hyped videos on YouTube, are they really that good?)

-Ultratonic (bit pricey, is it really that much better?)

- Other which are better than these?

Does anybody have any experience with these? probably yes, on the forum I’ve read loads of opinions.

There is a lot of information, separate threads for each one, thought I’d start a new thread to see if we can get some new opinions.

Thanks!!

I have Ultratonic on 3 of my guitars…martin hd28, J-45, and hummingbird. Best sound of any I’ve heard and I happy with it.
1965 Gibson J-45 w/K&K/Ultratonic conversion
1940's??? Harmony Patrician archtop
2002 Taylor Big Baby
1985 Kentucky KM850 mando w/lr baggs radius
1959 Gibson A-5 Mando
2004 Fender Strat (Mexican)
Army bugle
Old autoharp
Indian flute
Cowbell
Old 02-18-2024, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Dazzo: Same as with the JJB, can't find retailers in Europe. Also, I don't see that many differences in sound when comparing on the site or by doing comparisons on YouTube.
I live in Germany and once showed the results of my installs to my local dealer. He was so impressed that he has Dazzos in stock now and does a decent job installing them. The shop is Sound Aktuell Guitars in Regensburg, Germany, here is their website:
https://soundaktuellguitars.de

If you contact the owner Uwe Alkofer, tell him that Robert sent you.

I use various SBTs and did some comparison vids on YT. Yes, they do not sound too different in the vids, but they do sound different live on stage through a P.A.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 02-21-2024, 02:23 AM

https://youtu.be/P3NZPN78kKI?si=ukj_qn-pJZskhN10

Don’t know if this helps but the guitar is about 90% JJB 330 prestige with a very gentle mid roll off and some reverb on the whole recording.

They are definitely better IMO than the Journeytek. The Schatten is also very good and can be removed more easily.

My Sobell is current being worked on but once it’s back, I can post sound samples of the Schatten.

KR
David
Fylde Small Falstaff- Engleman/Bog Oak
Fylde Small Falstaff- Engleman/ Madagascan Rosewood
Sobell Martin Simpson MK2- German/ Brazilian Rosewood

Last edited by Dshevy; 02-21-2024 at 02:25 AM. Reason: YouTube video issue
Old 02-21-2024, 05:14 AM

Not sure why the Journeytech is getting a thumbs down. I had three Journey Instruments OF model guitars (two all wood and one carbon) with the factory installed Journeytech pick ups. All three sounded good and represented the individual sound of each guitar. I did a review here on this subforum. I ended up keeping the all mahogany model. FWIW I've ordered a Journeytech with volume wheel to install in my Martin 000-15. These pick ups have a hot signal, not sure how they would do on a loud stage.

I also own a dreadnaught with a Ultrasonic and a 00 with a Schatten HFN. I like the sound of all three SBT pick ups in these guitars. If I had to pick one it would be the Ultrasonic, I've no experience with Dazzo. Good luck with your choice.

Last edited by DownUpDave; 02-21-2024 at 07:51 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification