The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-19-2012, 03:52 PM

Default Feedback Loop?

I have a Loudbox Artist on the way & I'm gonna try to use both channels w/my Beard E Model (Fishman pup/JD Aura pedal) when I play 'out'. The plan is to plug into C1 w/normal volume level & light reverb for the back-up stuff, and run a mic to C2 w/a bit higher volume & richer reverb so I can duck in/out of the mic for more potent sound when it's time for the lead stuff. I'll DI the mix out the back of the amp to the PA. Crazy idea? Has anyone used this amp similarly before? If so, how did it work? Much obliged for any experience shared or opinions on this set-up. I'm excited about the possibilities, but am a bit worried that I may be creating a huge feedback loop...

Vic
Beard maple E Model
Meredith maple custom
Old 04-20-2012, 04:15 PM

21 views & nary a reply...hmmm, I guess it really is a crazy idea & everyone is too polite to say so. LOL!
Beard maple E Model
Meredith maple custom
Old 04-21-2012, 10:28 AM

OK FINE! I'll bite....but I'm not the right guy to answer cause I dont have experience doing what you're thinking of doing but it seems counter-intuitive to use a mic for the louder part. Are you in a band scenario or just you? If in a band, a mic wont be a great idea.
Mics of course sound better but can create a lot of problems in a loud environment. If you're solo and can use a mic, use a mic all the tiime. It'll sound better.
If you need a boost maybe use something like a boss 7 band eq pedal. You can set it flat and just use it as a level boost.
OR, and I have no exp with that amp either but you could maybe use an a/b box and switch between channels on the amp.
OR, if you'll be having a FOH tech all the time, and if you're anle to use a mic, then give the tech a mic line and a DI from your amp. He can worry about the level boosts.
Some dynamic playing and a little less compression might even give you all the dynamics you need as well.

I think you're complicating things the way you're thinking.
YMMV
Old 04-21-2012, 01:34 PM

Thanks for the reply blaren. I know this is bassakwards thinking, but I don't wanna get into the whole pedal board thing like I did w/electric guitar. I'm gonna try this in a BG Gospel group & we play mostly churches, so we usually run a very modest volume level & don't have feedback problems. -Yet.

I figure there's a reason that I didn't get much response from this topic; because nobody uses a similar set-up. And nobody uses it because it doesn't work. I donno. I'm gonna experiment w/it a little bit & see what happens. Worst case scenario is I'm back to using just a mic like I've been doing. Thanks again.

Vic
Beard maple E Model
Meredith maple custom
Old 04-22-2012, 01:38 PM

WOW! this amp is great!!
Beard maple E Model
Meredith maple custom
Old 04-22-2012, 03:39 PM

Well believe it (and give a crap) or not this crazy set-up idea is working like a charm!! YAAAAAAA!!!! Now I should note that this is at my home w/no PA hooked up so there is one variable yet to be introduced. But I was playing at a much higher volume & was purposely standing closer to the amp than I will be then, & the feedback was easily controlled w/the Loudbox anti-feedback feature. I really think this is gonna work great!! BTW - I LOVE this amp!!!
Beard maple E Model
Meredith maple custom

Last edited by Arrowsmit; 04-22-2012 at 03:45 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification