The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-18-2012, 02:34 PM

Default Swapping two smaller speaker for a larger one?

Hi

I am in the process creating a lightweight portable busking rig. The amp I am using right now has two 5" speakers and a little tweeter. I'd like to have a second amp to provide a bit more bass. I've got a small Roland mobile cube with two 4" speakers (2.5w each). Is it possible to swap out the two 4" speakers for a single 10"? This would give the bass I need without having to buy another amp.

Anyone have experience doing speaker swaps? Is this possible? What are the steps involved? I know little about swapping speakers the same size but nothing about this sort of operation.

Fingerstyle Guitar ~ Hammered Dulcimer ~ Clawhammer Banjo ~ Diatonic Harmonica ~ Anglo Concertina

Old 04-18-2012, 05:13 PM

it isn't that simple. Bass response is not just a function of speaker size. Think of a pair of ear buds... if bass response was only due to size, then there would be no bass at all in any ear bud. At the other end of the spectrum, why wouldn't companies that specialize in bass speakers have 24 or 36 inch speakers? The Acme B2 cabs go down to a solid 31 hertz with a 10 inch woofer and cleanly reproduce the fundamental of the low B string of a five string bass while most bass cabs with 15 inch woofers cannot do that.
that's me on guitar

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification