The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-02-2022, 06:13 AM

I win the prize for the most expensive binding repair! My 1998 D-28 had a binding separation (purchased used) and no local luthiers, so my wife and I took a road trip and I hand delivered the guitar to the Martin factory. They told me they would send me an estimate and ship the guitar back to me when completed. Several months later I got it back, with an excellent repair. It cost me $300 to include return shipping. Ouch!
Old 02-28-2024, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
The tech that's repairing my guitars and Rokdog's said that Martin pays him $70 for each of these repairs. I assume this is for what I'd call each instance of binding separation on a guitar. However, I have no idea whether that would be the 'going rate' for these repairs. As Rokdog noted, ours are fortunately covered under warranty so though it shouldn't happen at all, no additional out of pocket for us.
If repair is not done at Martin I would ask him repair man if that $70 covers a no compromise repair. If it does good, if it doesn’t I would offer to pay him whatever is required on top of what Martin pays him to do a no compromise job.
Old 02-28-2024, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojangles View Post
I win the prize for the most expensive binding repair! My 1998 D-28 had a binding separation (purchased used) and no local luthiers, so my wife and I took a road trip and I hand delivered the guitar to the Martin factory. They told me they would send me an estimate and ship the guitar back to me when completed. Several months later I got it back, with an excellent repair. It cost me $300 to include return shipping. Ouch!
I win the prize, back two bindings at hip and putting on new strings on our D28A 1941 Authentic a little over $400 no shipping we drove it there and will go get it..and I think some leniency is built into that price as it’s really a manufacturing flaw..but I bought it used around a year old. They said there is a bit of finish lift on the neck somewhere I didn’t notice I told them to do that too..total $583. If it’s a nice job I’m ok with that..those Authentic guitars are the best they’ve done in many years and that institution needs to survive.
Old 02-28-2024, 06:20 AM

I had my local guitar tech reglue all loose binding,install new set of strings, polish the body and frets, and oil the fretboard for $50.
'81 Martin 7-28 7/8 D-28
'03 Taylor Jumbo Custom
'04 Ramirez 1-E Classical
'09 Breedlove Roots OM/SR acoustic/electric
‘15 Martin Centennial DC - 28E
Old 02-28-2024, 06:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athana View Post
I win the prize, back two bindings at hip and putting on new strings on our D28A 1941 Authentic a little over $400 no shipping we drove it there and will go get it..and I think some leniency is built into that price as it’s really a manufacturing flaw..
That guy saw you coming.

My local guy reglued the back waist binding on my D-18 for £30 UK - about $40 US. No strings, I change my own strings for free.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 02-28-2024, 08:23 AM

These issues can take quite a while to present themselves. My D18 is a 2013 and didn’t present itself for 10 years. Took it to a Martin service center and they repaired it under warranty no questions asked. As frustrating as it is as an owner , it’s a minor inconvenience if you’re the original owner. That’s what warranties are for. If you bought used, unfortunately that’s one of the risks . Me personally, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another Martin. A company that stands by their product is not all that common today.
Old 02-28-2024, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Just a reminder to USians who keep going on about how easy it is to get binding separation fixed under ‘the warranty’ - Martin owners outside the US and those in the US who bought their Martin(s) used, and there are a great many of us, don’t have the warranty. We have no other option than to pay for the repair ourselves.

The CFM Warranty isn’t anywhere as good as the USians like to pretend it is.

Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Old 02-28-2024, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Welcome to the club…it’s a fairly large membership…and growing.
Sorry about your misfortune. Luckily my friend and myself bought ours new and they are being repaired under warranty. Hopefully yours won’t be expensive.
I would shy away from a do it yourself repair. That’s just me.

Notice to any Martin owners:
“Make sure you register your new Martin when you purchase it.”
Otherwise…no warranty.
Good advice. Keep your original purchase receipt also.
Below is from CF Martin's website:

60. What Is The Difference Between The Limited One Year And Limited Lifetime Warranty?
Limited One Year warranty is for one year from the date of purchase from an authorized Martin Guitar dealer in the USA or Canada and applies to the Little Martin, Backpacker, and 1 Series Ukulele. Please retain your original receipt for any warranty issues. The Limited Lifetime warranty applies to all other Martin Guitar instruments purchased by the original owner, through the original authorized dealer in the USA or Canada.
Old 02-28-2024, 10:05 AM

Odorless super glue doesn't eat the finish.
Old 02-28-2024, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

I had the binding on a OM-45 repaired in two places. One on the high E side of the head stock and one on the waist of the guitar. Both were small places. Ron Pace’s shop in Houston did the work along with some bridge work. The binding repair was inexpensive. For reference this was an 80s model that had been left in a house in Austin in the summer with the power shut off after a buddy passed away. If you have not ever been in Austin in the summer, think 100+ every day with a dry hot wind. In other words, this one is not Martin’s fault.
Old 02-28-2024, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
Just a reminder to USians who keep going on about how easy it is to get binding separation fixed under ‘the warranty’ - Martin owners outside the US and those in the US who bought their Martin(s) used, and there are a great many of us, don’t have the warranty. We have no other option than to pay for the repair ourselves.

The CFM Warranty isn’t anywhere as good as the USians like to pretend it is.
subscribed entirely.

In addition to having to pay the repair, post 2011 Martins get a hit in the used market: even if it has been already repaired, any informed buyer will say noone knows if the separation will occur again, which depends solely on how skilled the repairman was. As a matter of fact my 2012 had to go twice to the luthier. The second luthier apparently was better than the first, and the fix lasted.
Old 02-28-2024, 01:45 PM

But in the EU you have a conformity law where a product is expected to meet certain standards and a retailer is obliged to comply to them. So it a durable item has a defect that cant be expected from it, like an expensive instrument where decorative trim becomes unglued, the supplier has to stand behind it, this would mean that the dealer or importer is responsible. So european customers are not in the cold. How this works in post brexit britain I would not know.
Old 02-28-2024, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReinvanBelle View Post
But in the EU you have a conformity law where a product is expected to meet certain standards and a retailer is obliged to comply to them. So it a durable item has a defect that cant be expected from it, like an expensive instrument where decorative trim becomes unglued, the supplier has to stand behind it, this would mean that the dealer or importer is responsible. So european customers are not in the cold. How this works in post brexit britain I would not know.
As I have said before the same applies here in California concerning consumer product manufacturing defects.

Martin as a company are acting in the most trashy, deceptive and despicable manner, and IMO as a community of guitarists we should shout to the high heavens about this until they acknowledge this and remedy the situation.

I'm so happy to be rid of my 2013 D18 after binding separation happened twice. Never again will I buy a Martin.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 02-28-2024, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

In the EU, that legal guarantee has to be for a minimum of two years. It’s different in the UK, but neither of these are a ‘Lifetime Warranty’. My D-18 isn’t covered by the UK’s Consumer Protection laws because it was bought in the US and registered for the ‘lifetime warranty’, but lives here in the UK. When the binding began to separate after 9 years, CFM said that, because it lives in the UK it’s their UK Distributor’s problem, the UK Distributor said it’s nothing to do with them because it was bought in the US.

I’ve owned five Martins - still have two - but I will never buy another Martin, they only get to welch on me once.

Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 02-28-2024 at 02:58 PM.
Old 02-28-2024, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texsunburst59 View Post
I had my local guitar tech reglue all loose binding,install new set of strings, polish the body and frets, and oil the fretboard for $50.
I've used super glue to repair my guitar, changed strings, polished my frets and oiled the fretboard so I guess I'm a guitar tech too. Can't wait to tell my Mom.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion