The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-17-2015, 02:29 PM

RIP Steve.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Larry! A treasure indeed.

1946 Epiphone Deluxe
2018 Gerundino Hijo Negra
2019 Gerundino Hijo Blanca
2021 MJT VTJ
2021 McPherson Sable
2022 Antonio Raya Ferrer Negra
2022 Eastman Romeo LA
2023 Peerless Gigmaster SC
Old 08-17-2015, 02:52 PM

I play Steve's and John Prine's music in nearly every set I do. I wish I could have seen him live. One of the great performers. And, by all accounts, a wonderful human being.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sain't View Post
He owned the stage - only performer who could open for Steve Martin w/o being eaten alive. Truly legendary.

Michael
I saw Jim Croce open for Woody Allen's stand up routine in 1972, Jim could be as funny as the best comedians as well. The guitar sound of Jim and Murray were equal to Steve Goodman. Sometimes it takes two!
Old 08-17-2015, 03:02 PM

For us baby boomers, his song My Old Man
Old 08-17-2015, 03:11 PM

Just watched an interview about Steve with John Prine , Arlo and Kristofferson on youtube yesterday and Kristofferson was tearing up talking about Steve.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misifus View Post
Since it's a guitar forum, what's he playin'? It's not a Martin, or a Gibson, is it?
I see Gibson on the headstock but I wouldn't know the model.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:14 PM

I'm thinking a Gibson LG-2???
Old 08-17-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPanther View Post
One of the GREATEST songs ever written.

"City of New Orleans",
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ0JgqoF2W4

Though I do prefer Arlo Guthrie's version,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvMS_ykiLiQ

Dan
I wasn't fortunate enough to see him but I was in NYC when he did an interview on Pete Fornatale's Mixed Bag program on WNEW radio. City of New Orleans was one of the songs he did that day and it became the basis for my rendition of it.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:21 PM

Goodman played at my college three times during the four years I was there, and won more fans with every appearance.

I didn't see him again until 1980, I think, when he played at McCabe's after one of his go-rounds with chemotherapy.

There was no one else quite like him.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacks Focus View Post
I'll have to look for one tonight when I get home. I may not be able to find one. It appeared on his "Aerie" album, and he made one or two minor changes, including changing "old black men" to "old gray men."
He changed a lot more than that, replacing the third verse for the following bridge, which I remember better than I'd like:
It's twilight on the City of New Orleans
Talk about your pocketful of friends
Halfway home and we'll be there by morning
With no tomorrow waitin' 'round the bend
...and going into the chorus from there. The "pocketful of friends" line is pure Denver (I could swear he used the word "pocketful" in another song), and I remember thinking it was cloying even before I knew the story of the song.

I found a story online several years ago about the Goodman-Denver business. I can't find it now, but as I recall, Denver did ask Goodman if he could record the song and make some changes, and that he got Goodman's approval. Whether Goodman liked the changes or having Denver's name added to the credit, I don't remember, but in the story, I think it was written that Goodman let it go. The author noted, however, that Arlo Guthrie was ticked off and stewed about it for quite a while, until his wife convinced him to talk to Denver. I don't recall how that went, but I'm glad that Denver's recording has faded into obscurity.

Goodman had a habit of tossing off the song in performance as if it were no big deal (he always struck me as genuinely modest) but it's still one of the best folk songs ever written, and I prefer singing it in his style, with his chord progression.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:40 PM

I was just looking for Denver's recording and came across this re-recording Denver made in the 90s, indicating that he saw the error of his ways (if that's not too grandiose a phrase) before he died. He follows Guthrie's arrangement generally and sings the song as Goodman wrote it. This is good to know.

If you want to hear Denver's first recording, it's at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xzzw0UZebE. It turns out he also changed part of the second verse back then.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:53 PM

Johnny Cash used to take Goodman on tour with his show. He said that Goodman was so good that it made him (Cash) nervous to follow him on stage. Willie Nelson said similar things about Goodman opening a show for him.

The Missouripicker's YouTube Channel
URL:http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMissouripicker

Gibson J100 Walnut, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Dove, Gibson J45TV, Gibson AJ RW, Gibson AJ Koa, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Gibson J15, Martin HD28, Alvarez MFA66SHB and many other guitars, banjos, mandolins, dobros, dulcimers, and strays.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

...in addition to being a singularly talented musician Steve also produced what is for me John Prines greatest album.."Bruised Orange".... it stands as one of the most brilliantly produced folk recordings of all time....
Old 08-18-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmusic View Post
He changed a lot more than that, replacing the third verse for the following bridge, which I remember better than I'd like:
It's twilight on the City of New Orleans
Talk about your pocketful of friends
Halfway home and we'll be there by morning
With no tomorrow waitin' 'round the bend
...and going into the chorus from there. The "pocketful of friends" line is pure Denver (I could swear he used the word "pocketful" in another song), and I remember thinking it was cloying even before I knew the story of the song.

I found a story online several years ago about the Goodman-Denver business. I can't find it now, but as I recall, Denver did ask Goodman if he could record the song and make some changes, and that he got Goodman's approval. Whether Goodman liked the changes or having Denver's name added to the credit, I don't remember, but in the story, I think it was written that Goodman let it go. The author noted, however, that Arlo Guthrie was ticked off and stewed about it for quite a while, until his wife convinced him to talk to Denver. I don't recall how that went, but I'm glad that Denver's recording has faded into obscurity.

Goodman had a habit of tossing off the song in performance as if it were no big deal (he always struck me as genuinely modest) but it's still one of the best folk songs ever written, and I prefer singing it in his style, with his chord progression.
Thanks for that. I forgot to dig up the Denver recording last night, so I appreciate the info you provided here, especially the Goodman/Denver/Guthrie background. Fascinating stuff.

1977 Martin M-38
1982 Stelling Staghorn
2013 Larrivée D-40R
2014 Andrew White Eos 1011 (sold)
2016 Pisgah Possum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion