The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-25-2015, 06:06 AM

Default 1/2 step down tuning - easier on strings/guitar?

Does keeping a guitar tuned down a half step provide a slightly longer life for your strings as well as not putting quite so much strain on the neck and bridge?

In essence, is tuning down a half step easier on your guitar, and strings?
Old 05-25-2015, 06:19 AM

Strings feel easier on the fingers because there's less tension.

Seems to me like it'd be easier on the guitar for the same reason.

The main reason I tune 1/2 step down though is because, to my ear, most of my guitars simply sound better that way. YMMV. It's easy to capo the first fret (and make some minor tuning adjustments) should you need to play in standard tuning.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:26 AM
Guest316

I would think that it would have little or no effect on the guitar or strings, as far as being "easier" on them. But it would make the guitar easier to play and would change the tone. My two cents.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:33 AM

Tommy Emmanuel, one of the best guitarists on the planet, tunes down a whole step. Sometimes more than a whole step.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 05-25-2015, 06:56 AM

"E's Flat -- I's Flat Too!" -- Charles Mingus
Old 05-25-2015, 06:59 AM

I should imagine it's easier on the guitar - just lowers the tension a bit.
With most larger companies having gone to bolt on necks, no real reason to play that way to save the guitar since a neck readjustment is quite easy.

As for being easier on the strings - don't think so since they are designed for high tension (as is your guitar).

Some of my guitars with certain strings on them sound good down a half step - my Collings just sounds 'floppy' and don't particularly care for it.

It certainly is easier on my fingers with medium strings and playing bar chords or working up and down the neck.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:03 AM

I have rather short fingers so tuning down a half step and using a capo on fret one makes my dreadnought guitar have the shorter fret spacing like the Gibson J-45. Much easier for me to play. Also gives Med gauge strings the tension of Lights. This has to put less strain on the neck. I can detect no change in the sound. Been doing this for 30 years.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:11 AM

Been tuning down 1/2 step for years, 13's which are about the same pressure as 12's at concert pitch.

I do it because it makes playing and singing easier, doubt it has any affect on string life or is easier on the guitar.

Love the tone too, gives OM/000's more low end punch, most of my playing gang are permanently down 1/2 step too, helps us older players..........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 05-25-2015, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyblue View Post
Tommy Emmanuel, one of the best guitarists on the planet, tunes down a whole step. Sometimes more than a whole step.
His guitars show no wear at all.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laocmo View Post
I have rather short fingers so tuning down a half step and using a capo on fret one makes my dreadnought guitar have the shorter fret spacing like the Gibson J-45. Much easier for me to play. Also gives Med gauge strings the tension of Lights. This has to put less strain on the neck. I can detect no change in the sound. Been doing this for 30 years.
+1 on that thought. After a couple of years at a half-step I recently went a whole step and like it even better. Even if I capo two frets to go back to standard tuning it still seems easier, especially on hammer-ons and pull offs.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyblue View Post
Emmanuel plays concert pitch, a=440.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucefulton View Post
Emmanuel plays concert pitch, a=440.
That doesn't really have anything to do with how his guitar is tuned though. His A could still be 440 whether he is fretting it on the second fret of a third string tuned to G or on the 4th fret of a third string tuned to F.

-Mike
Old 05-25-2015, 09:04 AM

yep always keep my guitars tuned a full step down.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:09 AM
Guest 213

Can't remember when or from whom I heard of doing it, but I have tuned a half-step down for a long time now with (and always with light-gauge strings). My reasons are similar to others--I think the guitar sounds better and less string tension feels better under both my fretting fingers and picking fingers
Old 05-25-2015, 09:22 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Sometimes I'll tune down, but I always have to use a capo to bring it back to standard, otherwise it sounds out of tune all the time and drives me nuts.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion