The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-05-2023, 10:55 PM
Charter Member

Great Test comparison. Super helpful.

Same as before with guitars, and now on voice...I feel I can hear the The Fairchild working to much, coloring too much for my taste.

In my mind, the MJUC the clear winner..between the two. I felt it had that 50's 60's 70's compression characteristics that I like...relatively natural sounding( for compressing 5 to 7 db) ...and yet added girth/presence to the vocal. Girth/ Presence, or what ever you call it, is a great character addition in my books.

Wll Midwinter, you saved me $39 from buying the UA Fairchild! And possibly even more important from having something in my tool box that would never get used. And it probably would have taken me a lot of experimentation to figure that out. But your tests made it so easy to understand what it is I need. Will absolutely purchase the MJUC. It seems to be as good as everyone says. No gimics with Klanghelm. They offer a straight forward great price without having to wait for sales. I am impressed.

Which Compressor setting did you use on the Klanghelm?

The retro on vox sure did level...however 5 to 7 DB on this unit might be a bit too much. I have a feeling that the retro does not need many DB reduction to level and let the dynamics shine through. I did enjoy the tone the Retro imparts. Reminds me of an what an 1176 hardware does to tone. And I grew up on a 1176 hardware. Nothing like good hardware.

Thanks again MidWinter for all of your efforts! Please Know how appreciative I am for you taking the time to conduct these very revealing tests.
Old 12-05-2023, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticDreams View Post
Which Compressor setting did you use on the Klanghelm?
This was the MKiii option (the modern one) with density and istage engaged. then input and output set to knock off 5-7db.

Quote:
The retro on vox sure did level...however 5 to 7 DB on this unit might be a bit too much. I have a feeling that the retro does not need many DB reduction to level and let the dynamics shine through. I did enjoy the tone the Retro imparts. Reminds me of an what an 1176 hardware does to tone. And I grew up on a 1176 hardware. Nothing like good hardware.
Yep. I try to not knock off more than 5db with the Retro. (It was actually kind of difficult to get it to react like the two plugins). It's definitely doing work before that needle even moves and it does not take much to make it shine. It does that vari-mu "hug" thing nicely, too (where you set a slow release and let it ride input signal) but I rarely have use for that. It mostly lives on my mix bus for when my SSL clone isn't the right sound. I wish I could share some recordings with it doing mix bus duty, but I haven't had it that long, and the first release with it on mix isn't coming out for a while.

Quote:
Thanks again MidWinter for all of your efforts! Please Know how appreciative I am for you taking the time to conduct these very revealing tests.
Happy to help!
Old 12-06-2023, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

I also just got the UA LA-2A plugin, so far I have only tried it on two mixes but and am liking it, especially on my vocals

In this video I am using it on both the acoustic gtr and vocal and then there is also my hardware compressor on the mix bus
It is a vari-mu style tube compressor the (IGS Tubecore 3 U Mastering Comp. )

So for better or worse here is my last video with the LA-2A on both acoustic guitar and vocal and then also the 3U on the mix bus

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 12-06-2023 at 09:10 AM.
Old 12-06-2023, 10:37 AM

Man. I need to take my N22 for a spin on guitars more often.
Old 12-06-2023, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I also just got the UA LA-2A plugin, so far I have only tried it on two mixes but and am liking it, especially on my vocals

In this video I am using it on both the acoustic gtr and vocal and then there is also my hardware compressor on the mix bus
It is a vari-mu style tube compressor the (IGS Tubecore 3 U Mastering Comp. )

So for better or worse here is my last video with the LA-2A on both acoustic guitar and vocal and then also the 3U on the mix bus
I went to your channel and listened to Hey Hey, My my / For what its worth / for comparison.

First thoughts: The Guitar sounds more open, more natural with the LA-2A on Turn the Page. More intimate. Of course, you are also using a different guitar so that confuses the issue a bit. But, yeah, I like it better! That cherished low end clarity of a nice large guitar came through.

Always have enjoy how all of your recordings produce super smooth vocals. And once again, the LA-2A gave a more intimate presentation. Breathier. However for you vocals that doesn't necessarily mean it is better than what ever you previously used. Would have to hear it in a mix with more instrumentation. But right now as just guitar & vocals...I really enjoyed those extra dynamics that the LA-2A let through.

side note: I listened to your interpretation of Chariots of Fire...wow...I really enjoyed that! Gave it a unique quality.
Old 12-08-2023, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticDreams View Post
I went to your channel and listened to Hey Hey, My my / For what its worth / for comparison.

First thoughts: The Guitar sounds more open, more natural with the LA-2A on Turn the Page. More intimate. Of course, you are also using a different guitar so that confuses the issue a bit. But, yeah, I like it better! That cherished low end clarity of a nice large guitar came through.

Always have enjoy how all of your recordings produce super smooth vocals. And once again, the LA-2A gave a more intimate presentation. Breathier. However for you vocals that doesn't necessarily mean it is better than what ever you previously used. Would have to hear it in a mix with more instrumentation. But right now as just guitar & vocals...I really enjoyed those extra dynamics that the LA-2A let through.

side note: I listened to your interpretation of Chariots of Fire...wow...I really enjoyed that! Gave it a unique quality.
Thanks for the kind words

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD