The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-08-2018, 04:23 PM

Default Types of "Travel Guitar"

The term “travel guitar” is used to describe different instruments for very different uses, even if it all involves playing six strings somewhere. I don't know if anyone has tried to categorize these instruments by their use, which I really think is necessary before buying one. Here's a proposed range, largely based on the type of travel and the luggage/storage restrictions that are imposed.

1. Road warrior (car and boat luggage). For those in this group, the world is your oyster, with plenty of choice in shape, tone, and price. Some will just want a full-sized "beater" that they don't have to worry about damaging. Others may want something a little smaller, like a Taylor Baby, providing easier portability with little compromise in tone and playability. Also in this category are those who will go to rough places where a a robust (laminate or carbon fiber) instrument are better suited than solid wood.

2. Air traveling acoustic performer (at least one checked bag). This group needs a guitar that (a) they can carry on the plane with them, but also (b) provide an adequate acoustic sound for performing (including open mics and workshop attendance, etc). These players travel by air but will check a bag with clothes, shoes, and a bathroom/shaving kit, etc,, therefore leaving the bulk of their limited overhead storage for their compact carry on instrument. Journey and Voyager seem to be the leading names that work for this type of traveler, with high-quality acoustics that collapse or fold in ingenious ways, and compromises in tone and playability seem to be minimal (if any).

3. The carry-on bag air traveler (no checked bags). This is the traveler who needs to fit everything they are taking on a trip plus their travel guitar in a carry-on that is compliant with the 55cm length and 7-12 kg weight limits imposed by most airlines. In this category (in which I count myself) are instruments that must make compromises in tone, and a bit less in playability. For example, I have two SnapDragon folding guitars, one electric and the other acoustic. The electric is just a regular guitar when unfolded. The acoustic version, by contrast, has a neck that with an acoustic feel, but the sound won't fool anyone into thinking they are hearing a high-end Martin. It's good for a hotel, and for anyone who wants to go out and play, sounds good plugged in. Another guitar that I like (but do not own) is the robust, all-wood Traveler series of guitars. Although they are too long to fit within the 55cm carry one restriction, their overall size is small and light enough that most airlines are unlikely to create an issue with it sticking out of your bag by 10-15cm. There may be some exceptions, especially among certain budget airlines, where the carrier will take any opportunity to charge extra fees.

4. The extreme traveler (business to economy seat player). There are indeed guitars that, on a long-haul flight, you can take out and get some time in, with headphones. I've done this with the SnapDragon in business class seats in overnight night flights. (What are you going to do on a 14 hour flight and everyone else is sleeping?) It works pretty well, but is still a bit big/awkward. An even better option is something like the LapAxe, which both fits the carry-on bag and can sit comfortably in your seat. The further, big compromise in this category is that you are stuck with an electric, as far as I can tell, even in neck/nut width and overall feel. There is no acoustic tone at all. But at least you have an instrument with you for practice.

Some type of distinction among the different uses of these guitars would be helpful. Folks like us in category 3 (or the extremes in 4) would love to have a full-sized acoustic to travel with, but it's just not coming on most trips if it means we also have to check a bag. In categories 1 and 2, priority is rightly given to tone and feel and even volume, while in 3 and 4 more is given to length, bulk, and weight. As for volume, a travel guitar suitable for categories 1 and 2 will pose an existential threat to our life in hotel rooms.

Last edited by MChild62; 09-08-2018 at 04:34 PM. Reason: shorten

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
travel guitar