The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-08-2022, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

Default EAE Gigmix 4

I've been looking to simplify my setup with my Bose S1 Pro and also make controlling volume a bit easier to manage. So today I happened to notice a used Gigmix 4 on eBay for a pretty good price and jumped on it. I'd appreciate all of the advice the users of this mixer can give me. I know it's a good quality mixer, but I've never used one like this.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 08-09-2022, 05:55 PM

Looks pretty cool. I'd hope it has phantom power. Curious to hear how it works out for you. For my former small mixer needs, I used a Yamaha MG06X with good results.

Stumbled across this from another forum member:
https://youtu.be/N7mF_Egku-w
Old 08-09-2022, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
Looks pretty cool. I'd hope it has phantom power. Curious to hear how it works out for you. For my former small mixer needs, I used a Yamaha MG06X with good results.

Stumbled across this from another forum member:
https://youtu.be/N7mF_Egku-w

Aaron is a good guy to learn from.
Old 08-09-2022, 08:04 PM

I think one of the most important things
to do each time you set up the Gigmix is to make sure your signal levels are up there
but not clipping..Instructions are everywhere
on line on how to do this so I wont get into that here..Its a really good mixer if you
do this right. The reverb and delay
are very controllable..the OI is brilliant.
Not much bigger than a standard
Guitar stompbox..I like mine alot.
I've used it as a solo and a duo.
Even used it in the band as a guitar
preamp. Just an experiment but it did
surprisingly well..enjoy it..

Old 08-09-2022, 09:12 PM
Charter Member

I use mine every week to add channels to a QSC K8.2. It’s really fantastic.
Old 08-10-2022, 06:15 AM
Charter Member

Thanks y'all! What cable do you use to go from the mixer to your amp / PA? It looks like a TRS to XLR might be the best but I want to make sure.
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

Old 08-10-2022, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Hi Mick, please report back if you wind up getting this. I'm curious about the EAE as well. Ive been using the Yamaha MG06X with the S1, but it could be cool having a stomp box sized mixer.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 08-10-2022, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Hi Mick, please report back if you wind up getting this. I'm curious about the EAE as well. Ive been using the Yamaha MG06X with the S1, but it could be cool having a stomp box sized mixer.
It has been shipped and should be here by the weekend. I really don't want to drag around a full size mixer but this one is about the same size as my Baggs Para DI and will eliminate the need for the Para, handle vocal EQ and IT HAS A MASTER VOLUME!!! Why didn't Bose put a master volume on the S1???

Anyway, I'll post my thoughts on it after a few gigs. I'm really looking forward to trying it.
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

Old 08-10-2022, 04:11 PM

Default I like my gigmix

I saw an ad online and, on a lark, bought the gigmix 4+1 not knowing how I might use it. It sits on my desk plugged into my powered monitor speakers. When I want to "turn it up," I plug my guitar in and have at it. I'm impressed with the features and the clever intuitive interface and how they did this in such a small size. I could easily see this as a handy mini-mixer into a powered speaker or a line array system. I can also see that it would be a nice preamp for an acoustic that has some nice additional features. It has one XLR input but no phantom power.

Output jacks are 1/4 inch and supposedly one output is TRS. I'm about to test that right now to see. I have a TRS to XLR cable that I bought for that purpose. I tested the TRS to XLR and, indeed the Right output 1/4 on the gigmix is stereo out and the TRS to XLR splitter cable worked. That being the case, I suppose that using two 1/4 to XLR cables would work the same using both L and R output jacks. The unit is so small that there is not enough space for two XLR output jacks. The XLR input jack is on the front of the unit.

They packed a lot of stuff in a small package. As I said, when I bought it, I didn't have a specific use for it, I just thought it was a nice piece of engineering. It has impressed me on many levels. It is a tiny little thing that is well done.

I suspect you will find it is a great addition to expanding your line array conveniently while adding some nice features.

Enjoy yours. I have had fun with mine.
Old 08-11-2022, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJackal View Post

Output jacks are 1/4 inch and supposedly one output is TRS. I'm about to test that right now to see. I have a TRS to XLR cable that I bought for that purpose. I tested the TRS to XLR and, indeed the Right output 1/4 on the gigmix is stereo out and the TRS to XLR splitter cable worked. That being the case, I suppose that using two 1/4 to XLR cables would work the same using both L and R output jacks.
I'm a tiny bit confused about what you're saying here, Jackal, so went to have a look:

Quote:
Two sets of stereo Mix outputs are selectable between a 1/8″ TRS jack and 2 1/4″ TRS jacks with output level control knob . 2 assignable switches, 1/4″ TRS Balanced outputs.
And, to be fair, I'm still not completely un-confused. What does seem clear is that outputs L/R are on TRS balanced jacks so TRS-XLRm cables (or short adaptor leads into a regular XLR leads) would be ideal.
Old 08-11-2022, 06:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
I'm a tiny bit confused about what you're saying here, Jackal, so went to have a look:

And, to be fair, I'm still not completely un-confused. What does seem clear is that outputs L/R are on TRS balanced jacks so TRS-XLRm cables (or short adaptor leads into a regular XLR leads) would be ideal.
The outputs are TRS and I'm going to be running into one input on my Bose S1 Pro or L1c. I'd much rather use XLR inputs as I feel like it's a cleaner signal and neither of those have 1/4" TRS inputs. I need to get online to Sweetwater today and order a cable. I do have a 1/8" TRS to XLR on hand that I can use to test until my working cable shows up. I'm excited about trying this thing out and exploring the capabilities.
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

Old 08-11-2022, 06:59 AM

Looking through the website for the Gigmix 4 this caught my eye.....

"1) Can +9VDC be used to power the GigMix 4-1?
– Yes, just make sure it is Center Positive. (2.1mm) 9V or 12V 500mA. Most Pedal board power supplies come with Negative Center, a polarity reverse cable is needed to connect Negative Center Power supplies to the GigMix 4-1."

Be sure to label the power adapter so as to not accidentally grab one that is center negative and have something unfortunate happen. Odd they didn't go with the standard center negative like most pedals.
Old 08-11-2022, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
The outputs are TRS and I'm going to be running into one input on my Bose S1 Pro or L1c. I'd much rather use XLR inputs as I feel like it's a cleaner signal and neither of those have 1/4" TRS inputs.
The s1 pro does have a TRS Ό" socket and it will most likely be more appropriate for the signal coming from the Gigmix as it's a few dB less sensitive than the XLR which is expecting a (super-hot) mic signal. I suspect using the TRS will allow you to have knobs and faders at more sensible levels.

Two adaptors (TRS-XLRm, TRS-XLRf) are what I use between the aux send on my dl1608 and the s1 pro. If I use the XLR I end up with the volume very low somewhere in the system to compensate.

The XLR is no cleaner than the TRS, in fact more prone to distortion for the reasons described.

Quote:
I need to get online to Sweetwater today and order a cable. I do have a 1/8" TRS to XLR on hand that I can use to test until my working cable shows up. I'm excited about trying this thing out and exploring the capabilities.
I haven't looked but an ⅛" TRS usually means a stereo (ear/headphone) socket rather than a mono balanced which would be appropriate for the s1 pro. Getting this wrong would mean anything in common (centre) in the L/R signal would cancel out and be silent at the s1 pro input.
Old 08-11-2022, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
The s1 pro does have a TRS Ό" socket and it will most likely be more appropriate for the signal coming from the Gigmix as it's a few dB less sensitive than the XLR which is expecting a (super-hot) mic signal. I suspect using the TRS will allow you to have knobs and faders at more sensible levels.

Two adaptors (TRS-XLRm, TRS-XLRf) are what I use between the aux send on my dl1608 and the s1 pro. If I use the XLR I end up with the volume very low somewhere in the system to compensate.

The XLR is no cleaner than the TRS, in fact more prone to distortion for the reasons described.

I haven't looked but an ⅛" TRS usually means a stereo (ear/headphone) socket rather than a mono balanced which would be appropriate for the s1 pro. Getting this wrong would mean anything in common (centre) in the L/R signal would cancel out and be silent at the s1 pro input.
Where did you see the information that the 1/4" inputs of the S1 are TRS? All of the information I can find from Bose is that the two main inputs are XLR / 1/4's combos. None of it says that the 1/4" input in the combo is TRS. It would be really nice since I could run a TRS from the Gigmix to the S1. I have a 1/4" TRS to 1/8" TRS cable, but I don't like that the 1/8" input doesn't have any EQ, just a volume control as it was intended to stream music from a MP3 player, etc.
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

Old 08-11-2022, 12:01 PM

Default TRS Outputs ???

There are two stereo outputs on the Gigmix 4+1. One of the stereo outputs, output 1 has separate left and right 1/4 inch outputs. I tested the Right output with a TRS splitter into two XLR jacks and got signal on both of the XLR jacks. I did not test the Left output the same way so I can't confirm that the left 1/4 inch output is TRS, though, in thinking about it, I suspect that it is as well.

Output 2 is a 1/8 inch single stereo jack. I didn't test it at all. I assume that any 1/8 stereo plug output would carry left and right signals. I could possibly see this jack used if one wanted to use a 1/8 input jack on a mixer or for headphones with a 1/8 jack.

The quality of this mixer makes me consider their other products. Perhaps, that's part of their plan. Regardless, it packs a bunch of features into a small unit.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification