The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-07-2022, 02:55 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Schertler Amps

Hi folks,

I've been given an opportunity to carry the Schertler line of acoustic amps in my shop. Do any of you use these amps, or have any input or feelings about them? When searching the AGF, most of the references I find are fairly old now. There are so many choices out there - is there is still a viable market for Schertler? Or would you recommend that I pass and look elsewhere for a line of acoustic amps appropriate for my store?

There is so much accumulated wisdom and experience in this subforum - thanks in advance for your advice!

Larry
Old 08-07-2022, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organic Sounds Select Guitars View Post
Hi folks,

I've been given an opportunity to carry the Schertler line of acoustic amps in my shop. Do any of you use these amps, or have any input or feelings about them? When searching the AGF, most of the references I find are fairly old now. There are so many choices out there - is there is still a viable market for Schertler? Or would you recommend that I pass and look elsewhere for a line of acoustic amps appropriate for my store?

There is so much accumulated wisdom and experience in this subforum - thanks in advance for your advice!

Larry
I own a Schertler BASS Sub, Schertler EXT powered cab, Schertler JAM 200, and a Schertler JAM 400. I use them all regularly, and they are great pieces of equipment. I use the Jam 200 most of all them as it just covers a lot of ground. They are expensive but worth it.
Old 08-07-2022, 03:40 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks Rockabilly. Sounds like you're very happy with the line. Good to know, and I appreciate the response.
Old 08-07-2022, 03:53 PM

Schertler amps are great, we have them in our store, but you might want to give Acus amps a try, if you get the chance. The Acus guys split from Schertler and manufacture their own line of amps now. Acus is an Italien company and not that new, they are also building amps for other companies, like Godin for example. We sell a lot more Acus amps, than Schertler. I don't know the financial side of things where your shop is at, but in Germany Acus is a not as pricey as Schertler, while offering the same quality of build and sound. An other brand we carry with a better turnover than Schertler is AER amps.
Old 08-07-2022, 04:06 PM

A Schertler Unico was my first "big" purchase when I began playing out. It has been everywhere and played a dozen different roles.

No amp combo I've heard sounds quite as good. It's also rugged, reliable and super flexible.
Old 08-07-2022, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbound View Post
Schertler amps are great, we have them in our store, but you might want to give Acus amps a try, if you get the chance. The Acus guys split from Schertler and manufacture their own line of amps now. Acus is an Italien company and not that new, they are also building amps for other companies, like Godin for example. We sell a lot more Acus amps, than Schertler. I don't know the financial side of things where your shop is at, but in Germany Acus is a not as pricey as Schertler, while offering the same quality of build and sound. An other brand we carry with a better turnover than Schertler is AER amps.
I've had two MISERABLE Customer service problems with ACUS, the last piece that I bought was a mixer that took way too many emails to get an answer about an item that showed up broken to my house.

And a while back I shared this info with forum member Spook, and shortly after he also had problems with his, here's a direct quote from his post...

However, as much as I like my Acus AD (2x8, 350W version), there is no support in the US for it. If something breaks, it's done. And warranty support is pretty much non-existent from the small town in Italy where they are built. Maybe it's a different story in Europe.

So.. enjoy it. They do sound great. But what I would advise in the long run is to spend the bit extra and get a Schertler. May not sound better than the Acus equivalent but they are a supported product.
Old 08-07-2022, 05:05 PM
AGF Sponsor

Very helpful replies, thanks so much.
Old 08-07-2022, 05:24 PM

Default Schertler Amps

I think the popularity has waned slightly with the market shifting to more digital and battery power features for acoustic amps. Many players are buying these for home use and Bluetooth, battery power, effects, looping etc seem to draw their attention.

However, for pros, the Shertler amps are know for power, clarity and top notch quality. I just doubt there are that many performing artists buying these things compared to aspirational players.

While I do play out, I mostly plug into whatever house system is available. For my use a Bose S1 Pro is all I ever need. The Acus amps do look like a nice alternative.

Locally, most higher end stores are offering LR Baggs and K&K pickups along with Fishman and Bose amplifiers. Others that seem like they have high sales volume are Boss, Fender, and Hughes and Kettner.
Old 08-08-2022, 04:32 AM

I played through a Schertler once and it was stellar!
That being said, for me, the days of acoustic guitar amps are over as for gigging goes.
I have a Fishman Artist I’m contemplating selling. I will likely never use it at gigs anymore. I have a Bose S1 for smaller venues.
For larger rooms and outdoors we have Alto Troupers and a mixer or a Fishman SA 330.
For personal,enjoyment, a Schertler would be great, but a rather expensive toy for me.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 08-08-2022 at 05:04 AM.
Old 08-08-2022, 05:15 AM

I took a quick look at your website and you have some very fine instruments. I would say your value to the market is in supporting the serious artist and great sounding gear. I think Schertler is a great fit for your customer base.
Old 08-08-2022, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I've had two MISERABLE Customer service problems with ACUS, the last piece that I bought was a mixer that took way too many emails to get an answer about an item that showed up broken to my house.

And a while back I shared this info with forum member Spook, and shortly after he also had problems with his, here's a direct quote from his post...

However, as much as I like my Acus AD (2x8, 350W version), there is no support in the US for it. If something breaks, it's done. And warranty support is pretty much non-existent from the small town in Italy where they are built. Maybe it's a different story in Europe.

So.. enjoy it. They do sound great. But what I would advise in the long run is to spend the bit extra and get a Schertler. May not sound better than the Acus equivalent but they are a supported product.
It is a different story in the EU. Acus doesn't provide service directly, they have a network of distributors in the EU. The service in the EU is great and the communication with our austrian distributor works great. Our Distribtor is a native german speaker, as I'am, which helps a lot. Is there no distributor in the US?

Last edited by stringbound; 08-08-2022 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-08-2022, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
However, for pros, the Shertler amps are know for power, clarity and top notch quality. I just doubt there are that many performing artists buying these things compared to aspirational players.
In Germany, most pros use Acus or AER amps. A lot of fingerstyle players use AER or Uli-Amps, as do Tommy Emmanuel, Richard Smith, etc. You also see the Bose line arrays or the Fishman SA330 (I sold a complete Fishman rig for an Acus One 8 MK2). Younger pro players, like Simon Wahl and Sönke Meinen play Acus amps. You don't see Schertler that often around here. A while back there were problems with Schertlers distributor for Germany/Austria and the split of the Acus guys was also hard to stomach for Schertler.
Old 08-08-2022, 09:25 AM

The best acoustic amp I've ever owned was a Schertler Jam 200.
Old 08-08-2022, 12:35 PM
AGF Sponsor

I really appreciate the insights you guys have shared. Thanks so much for taking the time.
Old 08-08-2022, 04:12 PM

Default Schertler Roy

I’ve owned a Schertler Roy and Schertler Sub 200 for almost 2 years and the acoustic tone is clear, natural, and has great low end. Volume and projection easily fill the church auditorium which seats around 225-250
people. Compared to Marshall acoustic snd Fender acoustic amps Schertler is significantly better. I know Schertler is used on the Grand Ole Opry. I’ve not tried H&K, Ascus, Henricksen, AER or any other acoustic brand. The Roy has 7 channels and vocals sound great through it. The wood cabinet is beautiful.

The cons are that the amp is about 50 lbs and I had to mount a shelf for it, but I think that putting it on a shelf about ear level for the audience helps its tone.
About a month ago my Roy made a weird noise followed by a burning smell. The DI out works and the sub is fine, but I cannot get any sound out of the amp and the effects don’t work. I couldn’t reach anyone in Switzerland, but did get in contact with Dave who works for Schertler in the U. S. Unfortunately, there are only 2 repair facilities in the United States that work on Schertler products. My amp has been at The Amp Guys repair shop a couple weeks and I’m waiting to hear wait the problem is for repair. Luckily, it’s still under warranty. I pulled out my old Marshall AS100D and it works like it has for the past decade.
I hope to get my Roy back soon as I miss the tone. However, I’ve been wondering if H&K ERA 2, AER or ASCUS AD would be more durable over time since I haven’t even had the Roy two years.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification