The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-20-2022, 08:25 AM

Default Grace Design Bix preamp opinions

I sent my Radial PZ Deluxe in for a repair and it looks like it may be lost somewhere in Canada.

Though I've been fully satisfied with the Radial, if I have to buy a new preamp I may try something different.

Looking for reviews from those that use the Grace Design Bix.

My pick-up is a K&K mini.
Old 07-21-2022, 08:17 AM

No one using the Bix?
Old 07-21-2022, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

I tried one and sent it back.
I also recall that with a K&K, the Bix required you to use a
different 'non-standard' cable. The info should be in the online owner's manual.
It's a quirk that I thought I would point out; since you mentioned K&K.
Old 07-21-2022, 12:27 PM

Meb -

The fact that you sent it back indicates that it wasn't what you were looking for.

Can you elaborate on what it was you didn't like about it?
Old 07-21-2022, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

I have an Alix that I bought on the forum; all my guitars have K&K pickups. I am very happy with the sound I am getting.
Old 07-21-2022, 10:15 PM

I also have the Bix's big brother, Alix. It is fantastic, and works great with my guitars that have a Fishman Aura, Schatten HFN and a no-name undersaddle piezo.

The Bix is missing some of the features of the Alix (e.g. dedicated tuner output) and less tone-shaping ability (just a low and high shelf, although you can tweak the shelf frequencies a bit). But the preamp section itself the same, and is top-notch. Absolutely clean and pristine audio.

If you want the features and EQ of the Radial, the Alix is more comparably equipped.
Old 07-22-2022, 04:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koda View Post
Meb -

The fact that you sent it back indicates that it wasn't what you were looking for.

Can you elaborate on what it was you didn't like about it?
I just prefer a more full-bodied sound than I hear in the Bix & Alix. I
prefer the sunnaudio Stage or DI-2, GMF Ai TubePro.

I looked up the quirk in the Bix manual....I quote under 7.1 in the manual:

If your pickup is one that requires a lower input impedance (aka K&K),
don't fret, your Bix has you covered. By wiring your input cable with a TRS
connector and shorting the tip and ring (see diagram p 6) the instrument
input impedance becomes 1M Ohm).

I am not sure what all that means, but since you mentioned K&K, I thought
I would point it out to you. It was kind of a turn off/red flag to me using the Bix
with a number of different pickups.

Good luck.
Old 07-22-2022, 06:52 AM

I did read that in the manual. I contacted Grace Design and they sell an adapter for use with the Bix and K&K users. Whether that’s a good thing or not I guess can only be known by trying it.
Old 07-22-2022, 07:00 AM

Not used the Bix ... but I have a Felix, which has been well worth the (considerable) money. Playing mandolin, banjos, fiddle and guitars in ceilidh/barndance band, usually mic's are impractical or impossible on a cramped stage ... so all my instruments have pickups, mostly K&K.
I have used Headway's EDDM pre-amps, which are very good, but the sound with the Felix is brilliant through the PA, and the EQ and notch filter have been superb for whatever the venue (room or garden, yard) acoustics throw at us.
So Grace Design + K&K highly recommended.
Old 07-22-2022, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meb View Post
I just prefer a more full-bodied sound than I hear in the Bix & Alix. I
prefer the sunnaudio Stage or DI-2, GMF Ai TubePro.

I looked up the quirk in the Bix manual....I quote under 7.1 in the manual:

If your pickup is one that requires a lower input impedance (aka K&K),
don't fret, your Bix has you covered. By wiring your input cable with a TRS
connector and shorting the tip and ring (see diagram p 6) the instrument
input impedance becomes 1M Ohm).

I am not sure what all that means, but since you mentioned K&K, I thought
I would point it out to you. It was kind of a turn off/red flag to me using the Bix
with a number of different pickups.

Good luck.
Have you actually owned an Alix? Because I have used my Alix right next to tube and solid state preamps far better than either the Sunn Audio or GMF tube pre pedals (Neve 1073, Neve Portico Manley Voxbox, Universal Audio LA-610, Sebatron VMP4000, Drawmer 1960) and I heard no more full sound, and neither of the preamps can hang with the eq and routing flexibility of the Alix. I have used my Alix and Felix in my studio for other instruments too, and I'm constantly amazed at how well they perform, and I've experimented with using some very high end rack tube preamps, and I have two friends that custom build tube preamps, and none of them has bested the Alix yet.

Also Chipolte posted that the preamp section of the Bix is the same as the Alix, not true, the Alix is AC powered and I feel it's has more headroom. Although a nice basic preamp, I personally don't think the Bix is in the same league as the Alix or Felix. And IMO the EQ section alone is worth the price of the Alix (and Felix, if you need two channels).

Last edited by rockabilly69; 07-22-2022 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-22-2022, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koda View Post
I sent my Radial PZ Deluxe in for a repair and it looks like it may be lost somewhere in Canada.

Though I've been fully satisfied with the Radial, if I have to buy a new preamp I may try something different.

Looking for reviews from those that use the Grace Design Bix.

My pick-up is a K&K mini.
I think you may find you like the bix more
than your radial..the issue with the bix is the
Relatively simple feature set. The sound is stellar..But if you have the money the felix or felix2 is a much more . I have the original felix.
Still going strong after 10 yrs..the felix 2 let's you choose which signal you want to boost.
So it can be used like a 2 channel mixer.
Vocals on one guitar in 2. Boost guitar only for leads..felix 1 cant do that.
Old 07-22-2022, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Also Chipolte posted that the preamp section of the Bix is the same as the Alix, not true, the Alix is AC powered and I feel it's has more headroom.
Thanks, I stand corrected. Yep, the Bix runs on 9V DC, rather than 120V AC, which I missed. I'd expect the folks at Grace to put just as much care into the Bix version, but that power supply alteration could make a difference.
Old 08-06-2022, 07:46 AM

It looks like my Radial PZ was finally delivered to Radial for repair.

In the event it's too costly for repair I may still be considering a Grace Design preamp but I suspect all will be well.
Old 08-10-2022, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
I think you may find you like the bix more
than your radial..the issue with the bix is the
Relatively simple feature set. The sound is stellar..But if you have the money the felix or felix2 is a much more . I have the original felix.
Still going strong after 10 yrs..the felix 2 let's you choose which signal you want to boost.
So it can be used like a 2 channel mixer.
Vocals on one guitar in 2. Boost guitar only for leads..felix 1 cant do that.
Varmonter, I also have an Alix and I agree, it is state of the art. The only problem I have with it is the Notch filter. My D28 sometimes gets too boomy around 110 to 250 hz and when I engage the notch filter, I feel it isn't very precise and too much of the bottom end drops out. Maybe I'm missing something. I usually just use the HPF. Other than that it is a great piece of equipment

Last edited by Bobalooba; 08-10-2022 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-13-2022, 10:50 PM

Default Bix owner

I have a Bix. It is very clean sounding and has some nice features in a simplified format. However, I have found it to be very temperamental regarding input signal. I have tried it with K&K, Dazzo, Schatten, and dTar pickup systems. I always seem to have some issues with the input signal and the level control. I have had better success with a Red Eye or a Sunn Audio Stage DI 1.

It’s good to hear that others have had good success with the Bix. It just hasn’t worked well for me and my setups.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification