The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 05-02-2009, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Default Archtop Acoustics

Howdy everyone !! I think that I have been bitten by the Archtop acoustic bug. I have had a chance to play one for the past few days and will have to admit I just love the tone that the archtop produce. The classic country that I play just seems to be right at home on these acoustics. Now when I pick up one of my dreads, I find myself comparing its tone and sound to the archtop, plus with the thinner body, its seems to fit me alot better. So now I am thinking that I might have to put one of my dreads up for trade and add one to my stable.

Would love to hear from folks that play an archtop acoustic, and get your opinions on what brands to look at.

Thanks
Bill
Old 05-02-2009, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

A lot of people, myself included, have been bitten by the same bug.

I've found a very satisfactory cure to be my Godin 5th Avenue. I love the way it sounds and plays. My only fear is that it may lead to a costly reinfection as time goes by...
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-02-2009, 03:14 PM

My personal guitar is an archtop. 16" body, oval hole, short (24-1/2") scale:

Old 05-02-2009, 03:15 PM

Paul Woolson makes archtop guitars, and Artisan Guitars (just south of Nashville) has a couple in stock.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

That is a great looking archtop Howard...droool droool

The archtop acoustic that I had a chance to play was a 1950 Gretch New Yorker, I have also had the pleasure of playing a nice Gibson L-30. I have been doing some reading on the Loar LH-600 and 700 series.

Bill
Old 05-02-2009, 03:44 PM

Crap Howard - I just convinced myself I have everything I need in the way of guitars.

This is one instance where unless you are going to to go for something like a a pre-'43 Epiphone, a Gibson 400, a Stromberg Master 400 or something, I prefer the newer instruments.

I have tried to make peace with a few old ones, - Gibson, Epi, S.S. Stewart. While they sureluy looked cool, I found many sounded thin and lacked the volume to chase the hellhound off your trail. They did, however, sound good with an old DeArmond Rhythm Chief pickup attached. Seem like some of the newer ones I have played tended to be alot more balanced and project quite a bit better.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:57 PM

The world of archtop playing is where I came from before I landed here, and now I seem to be headed back that way.

For eons, I've had a one-off old Gibson L-4c from the 50's. (that's an eon, right?). Played it for years doing jazz, then a year.5 ago, got into flattops and am now hooked on those. They make me play entirely differently.

But:: I just happened into an Eastman archtop a few weeks back, got it and am loving that.

Howard:: Have you any clips I might be able to take a listen to?
Old 05-02-2009, 04:22 PM

Forget Swine flu....I think the archtop bug is pandemic......
Old 05-02-2009, 04:58 PM

No hesitation here...

http://www.flowersguitars.com/index.htm

Great guitars, great builder.

Ed
Old 05-02-2009, 05:03 PM

Wow, Howard! That's a beautiful guitar. I didn't realize you make archtops. I admit it...I'm dense.

The bridge on your guitar has a rod or dowel-like apparatus. Does that somehow adjust the saddle height?

How does the round sound hole affect the sound (as compared to an f-hole)? Is it louder, brighter, darker, etc?

Wow...gorgeous guitar.

Will you be showing your guitars at Healdsburg?

Darryl
Old 05-02-2009, 05:05 PM

This thread needs a moderator to step in and save us from ourselves. I too have been gassing for an archtop. Man, Howard, that's a nice one.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

man am I glad to see that I am not the only one that has a gas attack for archtops acoustics.

Bill
Old 05-02-2009, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

More fun than a basket of monkeys...

Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-02-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
The bridge on your guitar has a rod or dowel-like apparatus. Does that somehow adjust the saddle height?
Howard can speak for himself, but his bridge design looks like a variation on the one that James D'Aquisto designed in the 90's. His idea was to build a bridge that was all wood--nothing metal between the vibrating strings and the top.

The piece of wood between the bridge top and the base was wedge-shaped and raised the action as you pushed it in toward the middle of the bridge, lowered it as you pulled it out.

You can see pictures of D'Aquisto's design (actually John Monteleone's slight variation on D'Aquisto's design) here (and in the shot below): http://www.luthierscollection.com/montequisto.html

Old 05-03-2009, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Hey guys, If I put a dread up for trade with a value in the 1000 to 1200 area, which brands ect would fall into that area?

It would used mainly for stumming classic country mixed with some western swing music.

Thanks
Bill

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops