The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 11-06-2017, 05:09 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bickb View Post
Great playing!

And so familiar regarding the recording... Sjees

Primavera by Einaudi took me 50 takes or something, haha. One small mistake and it felt I ruined the piece. Grmbl. So annoying
Thank you!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-06-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Thanks Pippin! Players like yourself and Glenn set the bar really high, I'm just trying to catch up if I can. How's life down under?
Thanks Barry,

Glenn is my hero, too!

Life is good Down Under, have not made much recording since arriving here though (distractions of settling down). However, your thread has inspired me to set up my recording gears again these two days. Hope to share some results (and my other guitar adventures here aka GAS) soon ...

Pp
Old 11-07-2017, 06:11 AM

Well done with the editing Barry. I enjoyed that a lot with the natural sound.

As you say keeping the tempo right for each piece of the track has to be done but with this tune there is a certain amount of rubato needed that always helps

Phil Taylor

'Rivers and Trees' - April 2021. https://philiptaylor1.bandcamp.com/a...vers-and-trees

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNx...0XtP04PcL8HN4Q
Old 11-07-2017, 06:47 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippin View Post
Thanks Barry,

Glenn is my hero, too!

Life is good Down Under, have not made much recording since arriving here though (distractions of settling down). However, your thread has inspired me to set up my recording gears again these two days. Hope to share some results (and my other guitar adventures here aka GAS) soon ...

Pp
Looking forward to hearing your new recordings Pip. Ok, so what did you buy now?

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-07-2017, 06:48 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKPhil View Post
Well done with the editing Barry. I enjoyed that a lot with the natural sound.

As you say keeping the tempo right for each piece of the track has to be done but with this tune there is a certain amount of rubato needed that always helps
Thank you Phil!

A little rubato goes a long way. Many of Kishibe's tunes allow the player to get away with murder, lol.

I'm curious now if I can get the sectional recording technique to work with something with a stricter tempo through out. I'll have to experiment.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-09-2017, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Barry,

That was wonderful. Would you mind sharing more details on your recording setup and what you used to do the splicing (or your technique). I was thinking about doing the same thing on some difficult pieces I have been working on. For sure great players with good sound engineers do the same. It has to save time, money, and a lot of stress for them!

Thanks!
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 11-09-2017, 11:28 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
Barry,

That was wonderful. Would you mind sharing more details on your recording setup and what you used to do the splicing (or your technique). I was thinking about doing the same thing on some difficult pieces I have been working on. For sure great players with good sound engineers do the same. It has to save time, money, and a lot of stress for them!

Thanks!
Thanks Bob!

I used a spaced pair, a large condenser mic MXL 990 and an AKG Perception 150. The Software I used was Audacity.

I reviewed the notation for the tune and ended the first section on the second page at a measure that I believe ended on a quarter note. I followed the same idea through the song, penciling the breaks and labeled each section A, B, C and D. Then I practiced each section, recording each section as a separate project, but doing multiple recordings of each section in the project file leaving a good few seconds of no sound at the beginning and end of each section. Then I reviewed each section and cut out the recordings that I didn't like. Once I got a good project file for each section I then made a new project file and copied and pasted each section in, one after the other. At this point it was just a matter of trimming the dead space between where I ended one section and started the next. After I had a good full song I then used the "normalize" effect (I think this smooths out the volume a bit) at the factory preset, then split the tracks into stereo. I then panned a bit left and right to the respective tracks and boosted gain.

I did this all in one sitting while I had the mindset to finish it. I'm sure it could be done over multiple days once the "vibe" of the song is refreshed in my mind.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-09-2017, 02:07 PM

Really enjoyed this, Barry. Great job on the splices. I know how hard they can be to get "perfect". Which almost never happens for me.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:11 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrj View Post
Really enjoyed this, Barry. Great job on the splices. I know how hard they can be to get "perfect". Which almost never happens for me.
Thanks. The technique is a work in progress. It's easier I'm sure with the tempo of this tune as opposed to quicker tunes.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell