The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-25-2022, 03:34 AM

Default Will the Lace California soundhole pickup fit a 3.5" soundhole?

Hi

Does anyone know if the Lace "California Acoustic sound hole pickup w. male 1/4" plug and cable" will fit in a sound hole with 3.5" diameter (my Martin 0-18)? I would like to be able to install it without having to remove the strings and without having to "squeeze" it in.

I have emailed Lace several times with no response so I hope you guys can help so I'm sure before I order one from overseas.

Thanks!
Hans
Old 05-28-2022, 12:13 PM
AGF Sponsor

I assume you did not look at the spec sheet.

https://lacemusic.com/products/calif...k-w-12ft-cable

You will have to loosen all the strings to install it, but at least you’ll lessen the chances of scratching the finish.

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 05-29-2022, 07:14 AM
AGF Sponsor

By the way: Their technical drawing has some glaring errors.

The overall length is 3.70", and the coil is shown as being 3", yet the center to center of the clamping screws is shown to be 2.79".......which is impossible.

I emailed this information to them, so we'll see what happens.

Meanwhile a lot depends on the coil spec. If it is 3", you might be able to coax the pickup into place, but not without being very clever with one of the clamps being disassembled.

Ask me how I know.....

I believe that the coil is a good deal shorter than 3" because if it's not, and the overall length is correct, then there's only about 3/8" clamping area on each end.

HE
Old 06-04-2022, 09:50 AM

Thanks Howard - I did look at the specs and was confused by the error. I think that they mistakenly switched the coil and the screw-to-screw measurements which would make sense. And so I believe it will fit. I bought it over a week ago but has heard nothing from the company on spite of emails, so I really don't know what's going on with them...

Hans
Old 06-12-2022, 10:01 AM

With some mag pickups I had to completely remove one side of the clamping device in order to get it in the soundhole. Then I could put the removed clamp back on..
Some mag pups like the baggs m80
Wont fit at all in smaller hole guitars.
I've never used the lace...would be interested in your thoughts on it after install.
Old 06-13-2022, 06:16 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
With some mag pickups I had to completely remove one side of the clamping device in order to get it in the soundhole. Then I could put the removed clamp back on..
Some mag pups like the baggs m80
Wont fit at all in smaller hole guitars.
I've never used the lace...would be interested in your thoughts on it after install.
I actually got an M-80 to fit in a Guild F-20, which is 3 & 5/8” diameter.

The trick wasn’t so much knowing to remove one clamp and loosening the other a lot, but using a cut piece of a wound E string to pull the removed clamp into the raceway it slides into.

The ball end did the holding from below, and once it was securely in the raceway, I let it drop into the guitar and carefully threaded the clamp screw down into the adjustable clamp section.

No, changing the battery won’t be easy, but it’s not my guitar:-)

HE
Old 01-11-2023, 04:42 AM

Just to follow up for future use: The Lace fit perfectly, no need to loosen the strings, and sounds great!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification