The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-24-2022, 11:12 AM

Default EV30M vs Bose S1 Pro (and a speaker stand) packed size.

When you use a Bose S1 as a small PA, you also need to pack a speaker stand. I took a photo of the Bose S1 (in its backpack case) and a speaker stand next to the EV 30M. Not a whole lot of transport size difference:
Old 05-24-2022, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Lol - yes, but now you have to add a sub and mixer to the S1 to be properly comparable to the power of the EV30M!
Old 05-24-2022, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

I rarely mount my S1 on a speaker stand. If it can get it about 6 feet behind me in the upright tilted position, it will go on the floor. The bass response is much better in that position and distribution is a lot better. I only use a speaker stand in very tight conditions.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 05-24-2022, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
I rarely mount my S1 on a speaker stand. If it can get it about 6 feet behind me in the upright tilted position, it will go on the floor. The bass response is much better in that position and distribution is a lot better. I only use a speaker stand in very tight conditions.
That’s interesting info, Mick. Do you find the bass response remains the same if on the flat bottom of the cab, and not necessarily the tilt part?

I just pulled my pair of S1’s out of storage from September of 2021, and they both still had one bar of power left in the battery. Amazing!

After that terrific thread Methos did concerning the inline transformers boosting the line level up to and including 21 decibels, I can’t wait to try that out on these Bose. I had two of those transformers I was using with a TC Helicon Play Acoustic into a Yamaha MG mixer, so I didn’t even have to buy them. That’s a first. LOL
Old 05-24-2022, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
That’s interesting info, Mick. Do you find the bass response remains the same if on the flat bottom of the cab, and not necessarily the tilt part?

I just pulled my pair of S1’s out of storage from September of 2021, and they both still had one bar of power left in the battery. Amazing!

After that terrific thread Methos did concerning the inline transformers boosting the line level up to and including 21 decibels, I can’t wait to try that out on these Bose. I had two of those transformers I was using with a TC Helicon Play Acoustic into a Yamaha MG mixer, so I didn’t even have to buy them. That’s a first. LOL

In my experience there’s more bass response with it sitting upright and I’ve had a couple of rooms that it sounded best that way. However I believe it sounds best upright in the tilted back position if you can have some room behind it. These are great little systems.
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

Old 05-24-2022, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Hey, that's interesting.

I just gigged the S1 for the first time today. I left the EV30M home because I was doing a private party gig in a dining room that wasn't very big. About 45 people. Attentive listening audience.

I had the S1 up on a stand. The set up situation did not allow me to put it far enough behind me, and it was nearly beside me. I kept thinking it wasn't loud enough, but everyone in the room said it sounded really good throughout. I always set up the EV and/or my SA330x to my right and behind. Because of the Bose mixer being on the side of the speaker, I set up with it to my left and behind. That felt VERY strange.

Anyway, it seems to me, had I put the S1 on the floor, the audience would not have heard it as well. Is this incorrect? You have me wondering.
Old 05-24-2022, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
When you use a Bose S1 as a small PA, you also need to pack a speaker stand. I took a photo of the Bose S1 (in its backpack case) and a speaker stand next to the EV 30M. Not a whole lot of transport size difference:

Good point, but definitely a HUGE trade off in terms of power. Which I believe is what you are highlighting here...

If you're gonna move the same # of objects, when in doubt, take the one that will cover most any situation for parties, pubs, etc...

Nice point. I own both of these as well. I enjoyed the lightweight simplicity of the Bose S1 today for a birthday party/lunch gig. However, it's going to take some getting used to the Bose approach. Seems like it's not loud enough to my ears where I'm standing in comparison to the EV, 330x type systems. However, the audience said several times (at my questioning) that they could hear the music balanced throughout the room. Bose is weird. I kept thinking I needed to turn up. This is pretty cool, but different.

The EV30M will be the one of choice for anything bigger than what I did today. And for outdoors. I'm looking forward to a chance to run the EV outside for a bigger gig. If it passes, I'll consider selling the K8.2 that I have in reserves for outdoor and theatre gigs.
Old 05-24-2022, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

If the audience is right on top of you it might be a problem but if they’re 6 feet or so in front of you it’ll be fine. The S1 doesn’t just shoot sound forward like most systems it spreads out from the speaker horizontally and vertically.
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

Old 05-24-2022, 05:04 PM

Quote:
If the audience is right on top of you it might be a problem but if they’re 6 feet or so in front of you it’ll be fine. The S1 doesn’t just shoot sound forward like most systems it spreads out from the speaker horizontally and vertically.
Very cool information. thank you! I will give it a go. I always insist ahead of the gig that the first row of listeners are at least 6 ft back. Preferably 8-12 feet.

Most places are accommodating. I'll try this out.!

In this day and age I like to quote the police... "Don't stand, Don't stand so, Don't stand so close to me".

Thanks again.
Old 05-24-2022, 06:15 PM

Considering I already have a small mixer(10 channel), speaker stands, carry bags and a ton of ancillary gear to support these S1’s , I am seriously considering just diving into the deep end and picking up a Bose Sub1(or two) or a Sub2 to finish this small p/a rig for action to support a duet or trio.

House parties, backyard jams and get togethers, the occasional impromptu open mic! I think it’s a proven product with a relatively good manufacturer repair service record. Maybe I’ll find a good deal on a used Sub somewhere. You never know.

I know it will take away from the supreme portability of the S1’s, but their sound is so good I feel I am leaving a lot on the table and not getting all I can out of them.

Old 05-24-2022, 06:39 PM

The 30M is still on my radar, but this setup actually works well and has a lot of flexibility. There are smaller speaker stands that shown in the first photo (that's what's used with the K8 below). Despite the power of digital mixers, I still prefer having knobs at the ready, I use the Udo as mixer/eq/monitor then send the mixed post-eq/master to the K8.

No matter what still need mic stand and a bag of cables. Plus I run a pedal board so that gets tossed in as well. That said, took more time to set up the canopy than the amps/speakers

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 05-24-2022, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

JPH, my initial experience with the S1 was very similar to yours. I've gotten used to great dispersion and room coverage at much lower volume than I had with a 'traditional' PA. We're playing a loud, long room again Saturday night and I recall the first time we played there feeling like I wasn't loud enough with the S1 on a mini stand in front of me. We launched into Blue Eyes Cryin' in the Rain and people nearly 100' into the room held up their cell phone flashlights in appreciation. We were covering it just fine after all!
Old 05-24-2022, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

In my extensive use of the Bose S1 Pro I have found that the floor tilted back to be the most difficult to get enough volume without feeding back. The only place that setup works for us is outdoors. If we're indoors I need to put it flat on an elevated surface or on a stand. Something about that position with a hard floor and walls I've found problematic.
Old 05-24-2022, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
In my extensive use of the Bose S1 Pro I have found that the floor tilted back to be the most difficult to get enough volume without feeding back. The only place that setup works for us is outdoors. If we're indoors I need to put it flat on an elevated surface or on a stand. Something about that position with a hard floor and walls I've found problematic.
Is that with the speakers tilted back in front or behind you, or both, that the feedback problem happens?
Old 05-24-2022, 08:48 PM

I used my S1 Pro as part of a deal to get the EV30M. Wound up getting it for a little over 800 bucks. Also got the short pole for it.

Martin D-28 Satin
Fender American Ultra Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification