The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-24-2022, 10:16 AM

Default What is more fun uke or 1/4 concert guitar?

I once strung a baritone ukulele with 2-5 classical strings and used it to play folk tunes. However althought played with a pick the tone was a little dull. And I was wondering if a 1/4 concert guitar would be more fun for flatpicking than the baritone uke?
Old 05-24-2022, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterD18DK View Post
I once strung a baritone ukulele with 2-5 classical strings and used it to play folk tunes. However althought played with a pick the tone was a little dull. And I was wondering if a 1/4 concert guitar would be more fun for flatpicking than the baritone uke?
Hi Peter…
My Oscar Schmidt baritone uke is a favorite around here! Hangs on the wall in the living room perpetually.

Back when I taught, I'd hand it to guitar students and they'd learn/practice three string chord inversions up the neck on it.

The tuning on a Baritone uke is the same as the top 4 strings on a guitar (D-G-B-E) and the D is an octave lower ao opposed to the reentrant tuning on soprano ukes (4th string tuned higher than 3rd).

Hope this adds to the discussion.

The string spacing is about the same as my acoustic guitars, and the familiarity of fingerings is easy to adjust to. The tone differential gives me new takes on 'old favorites' that I've hammered out when goofing around, and it's a hoot to jam with.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-24-2022, 11:30 AM

Baby Taylor
Little Martin
Yamaha JrII

Of the three I'd pick the Yamaha. It's only $180, so you're not out all that much.

But me, I love my Taylor GS Mini. Bigger & more expensive, but WAY worth it.
Eastman MD-514 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Old 05-24-2022, 11:38 AM

Uke for the win. My favorite is the Luna pineapple soprano in The Great Wave finish. Check it out at Luna's website.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 05-24-2022, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

I'm going to go with a tie...both loads of fun.
I teach a uke group class and my adult students totally dig it. I bring along a Yamaha GL1 guitalele (guitar tuning up a fourth) to add some "bottom" and just acquired an inexpensive baritone, so I will probably bring that along as well.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 05-24-2022, 03:51 PM

Thank you all,

Ok, Im loooking at this one https://www.thomann.de/dk/la_mancha_..._53_461671.htm

that is a 1/2 concert guitar with a scale length at 530 mm. That is just a little larger than the baritone uke. I must admit, when it is just as a fun/toy guitar for the couch. The 4 strings of an uke is just perfect and perfect for flatpiking too. But I do not have the possibility to try the 1/2 concert guitar. I would assume it to have more punch than an uke, I may be wrong?
Old 05-25-2022, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterD18DK View Post
Thank you all,

Ok, Im loooking at this one https://www.thomann.de/dk/la_mancha_..._53_461671.htm

that is a 1/2 concert guitar with a scale length at 530 mm. That is just a little larger than the baritone uke. I must admit, when it is just as a fun/toy guitar for the couch. The 4 strings of an uke is just perfect and perfect for flatpiking too. But I do not have the possibility to try the 1/2 concert guitar. I would assume it to have more punch than an uke, I may be wrong?
I have some experience on the road you are thinking of travelling down. The big trouble with short scale (less than 23”) nylon strung guitars is the very low tension on the E&A strings. They end up sounding dull and lifeless. I have had a few and sold them off. If you are willing to tune up to F-F or G-G that helps.

I have a few baritone ukes which I enjoy. I also have a Cordoba Cadet which is 3/4 size with a 23” scale length and it sounds like a real classical guitar. Hope this helps.
Old 05-25-2022, 06:03 AM

Baritone Ukes are an odd beast, never sound right strummed if you ask me, and fingerpicked are mostly a Jazz affair.
Id rather a parlour than a baritone Uke every day.
If you want a Uke, get a long neck soprano, or a Tenor they are fantastic.
Old 05-25-2022, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

If I wanna get small, I break out the Tacoma Papoose or a mandolin.
Old 05-25-2022, 11:07 PM

I prefer a baritone over a standard tuned ukulele. I find it difficult to switch back and forth between guitar and ukulele. Especially because the chord shapes are the same but of course they are different chords. D shape on the Guitar is G on a uke. I have not found a 1/4 size guitar that sounds good in standard guitar tuning. So for me, the baritone is least the same tuning as a guitar so it is easy to play and is fun.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion