The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-22-2022, 10:15 AM

I’ve sold many guitars that were not rejects. Some I regret. So not always.

And one persons reject is another’s dream guitar.
Old 05-22-2022, 10:18 AM

I've got 4 OOO's at the moment, all higher end. Although I love the OOO for what I do, I really don't need 4 really nice ones. Problem is they are all handpicked keepers, so I can't decide which to let go. Sooner or later, I'm going to have to sell off one or two simply because it's hard to justify having so many. So, whatever I sell, will not be a reject. It will be a stellar guitar that I acquired after a long time of trying and researching that will be painful to let go.

My 1999 Lowden O25c is a guitar that blows me away every time I pick it up. I can't believe anyone would have let this one go, especially at the price I got it for.

So there you have it, 2 examples of great guitars that will be or have been on the used market.
Old 05-22-2022, 10:20 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Could it be that the original owner encountered a financial problem?

My father's father, my grandfather, made a wonderful life for his family. Just before my father went into the Navy for WWII, my grandfather died at the peak of his earning potential, leaving the family in a financial crisis. My father owned and loved a clarinet that he played in high school. When he was discharged from the Navy in 1946 the clarinet was the last good item he still owned. He proceeded to college where he studied on the GI Bill. He was so poor that he would go into the college cafeteria each day and buy his one meal: a side order of green beans and a glass of water. He quickly became malnourished. The head of food services saw him loose weight over months, snapped him up, and gave him a job, because student workers were granted a full meal for each shift they worked.

What bearing does that have to our discussion? My father routinely took his beloved clarinet down to hock shop row on North Gay Street in Knoxville, TN, and pawned it at a particular pawn shop. On a good payday he would pay it off and get it out of pawn, but it would end up pawned again in no time. It became such a regular occurrence that the pawn shop owner would see my father enter the shop and cheerfully greet him, "Whose clarinet is it today?"

My father loved his clarinet, but needed to eat.

I never experienced that state of affairs but came very, very close when my little family was young. On payday, when the check wouldn't cover the needs I would offer up my best guitar, but my lovely wife wouldn't allow me to sell it.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-22-2022, 10:21 AM

No.

I would gladly own this guitar if I could afford it (not to mention if it hadn't sold within a day of listing).

https://www.gbase.com/powered/lauren...-1990-blonde-1
Old 05-22-2022, 10:25 AM

Going along with what others have said, I would propose that the majority of used guitars are rejected guitars, but the question is why where they rejected.

I’d say that it’s a question of whether it’s a subjective or objective reason to sell a guitar.

As an example, one of my favorite guitars (it goes between being number 1 and number 2 in my acoustic collection) is my Waterloo WL-K. When I first got it one of my guitar playing friends promptly took out a light pick, strummed some cowboy chords for about 10 seconds, and handed it back to me with a ‘I’m really happy you’re happy.’

If he’d bought it I’m sure it would be on the used market about that quickly, but that doesn’t mean I won’t love it.

From an objective perspective I’d there’s stuff like ‘this guitar has a massive crack in the back that I don’t want to deal with fixing’ and admittedly even in that case it’s a subjective question as to how big of a deal that is, especially for someone who might like the guitar and can take care of it themselves.
Old 05-22-2022, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

I lurk around in the classifieds here for no valid reason at all: purely amusement. When I see a 2021 (or even 2022) $3,000 guitar listed I always wonder what’s wrong with it.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 05-22-2022, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
..no….unequivocally no….you are no more likely to get a dud on the used market than you are buying new….
My thoughts as well. We all have different ears and different responses to neck profiles/playability.
Old 05-22-2022, 11:16 AM

Used guitars offer a better value. You can usually sell a used guitar for about what you paid for it if your tastes change or you want something else. I dare you to try that trick with a new guitar. Actually, the worst guitars I ever bought were new.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 05-22-2022, 11:25 AM

I have four guitars and I've been through 30 to get to this point. All of the 26 I've sold are awesome, but I decided to try something else for various reasons.

Technically, I rejected keeping them, but boy howdy would I like a few of them back.
Maestro Singa, Sinker Redwood / Wenge (incoming)

Gone but not forgotten:
Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, sundry others.
Old 05-22-2022, 11:45 AM

The answer is no! I have sold probably at least 15 guitars in the past 5 years and not 1 guitar would I consider a reject. Let me see if I can even remember some of them. I sold a Martin D-15, a Martin custom D, A Martin D-18 MD, a Martin 000-18, Ive sold a Yamaha AR3, Yamaha A3M, sold an Eastman E20D, e20om, E10ss, E20ss, ac422ce, AC630,E10om-tc, E8om-tc. Not one of these guitars was a reject, far from it. I just decided to thin the herd a little and decided that these were some of the ones I could live without. Do I regret selling a few of them, sure. But Im pretty happy with the 2 guitars I own right now. Will I probably buy a few more. I'm sure I will.
Old 05-22-2022, 11:50 AM

I acquired the Best Guitar In The World used. In fact I'm the third owner. The first two owners had possession of the Best Guitar In The World, but sold it for some reason. It was a reject as far as they were concerned. Go figure... Now I own the Best Guitar In the World, and purchased it at 2nd-hand price!
Old 05-22-2022, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

NO! That’s ridiculous in my case. I have 22 world-class guitars. My limit was 12. I’m planning on selling about half of them. To get to these 22 I have worked my way up over 20+ years. But some took me 5 years and one I chased down for 11 years to obtain. When and if I sell, I guarantee there are no rejects in my collection, but now when one comes in, one or 2 have to go.
Old 05-22-2022, 12:14 PM

I have 2 that are my favorites, both bought used, both didn't fit well with the seller, a comfort/playability issue.

One was sold 5 times, 4 on this forum (the 5th was my purchase). I remember weight being one reason, one because he had 2 in the same price range, so it was a money issue, one to try something new & twice because of the neck. Each time it was for sale, I wanted to go for it, but couldn't justify the expense. It popped up again and I just went for it, soooo glad I did.

For me it has everything, perfect size, neck, playability & tone.

When I see the same guitar up for sale here multiple times, I too think must be something wrong, even with my experience. If it's a fairly new guitar, I think the same thing.

One man's trash is another man's treasure. Not that extreme here, but sums up my point.
Old 05-22-2022, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Of the more than 20 guitars I’ve sold over the years, I’d say close to 70% of those sales were due to neck comfort related issues. Because I started playing at age 41, I’m probably not as adaptable as someone who started playing as a teen. There was nothing wrong with any of those guitars I sold. They were not rejects. They just weren’t ideal for ME any longer.
This^.

And, tastes and playing styles can change. I bought a Collings C10-35 when I was doing a lot of blues fingerpicking. When I was playing “prettier tunes”, it became expendable. But what a great guitar!

And another motive for selling a good or great guitar: finding an even better guitar.

Last edited by buddyhu; 05-22-2022 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-22-2022, 01:00 PM

I've played guitar since I was a kid and in that time I've owned 27 electric guitars and 10 acoustic guitars. Not a single one of them that was moved on was sold because there was a flaw with them of any kind - I either had my head turned by another guitar, and sold the one I had to get funds for the new one, or I had to sell due to finances being tight, certainly no nefarious passing off of a dud or lemon to someone else.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion